The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 314 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

This came up in my Facebook news feed today

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 9.38.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 9.38.33 PM.png
    785.5 KB · Views: 242

In fiscal 2017, the athletic department brought in $96.9 million, but it spent $99.2 million, leaving a $2.3 million operating deficit. This, despite athletics receiving $21.32 million in direct institutional support from the school and another $11.77 million in student fees.

The $33 million subsidy in fiscal 2017 is up from more than $28 million in fiscal 2016, when athletics received $17.16 million in institutional support and another $11.42 million in student fees.

The writer does a decent job of disguising the truth stating Rutgers AD brought in $96.9MM, spending $99.2MM, leaving a $2.3MM deficit. However, The AD did not bring in the revenue, the school bailed it out as did student fees. Funny accounting to make it look like Rutgers is bringing a lot of revenue when in fact, the AD is still losing serious ground.

Wait! Wut? Isn't that farther out than originally promised? Plus, weren't they just told a couple years ago that the B1G was going to speed up the payout?

And they were told it would be more than $50MM! And the B1G number is less than most think because of gate sharing and other schemes. I wish a real forensic accounting could be made of each conference revenue and then serious analysis and comparison between the conferences.

B1G got a huge increase in their national TV rights starting in 2017 so I bet Rutgers will receive its full share of the BTN (which will likely accounts for most of the huge jump from $28 million in 2020 to $43 million) in 2021 seven years after joining the Big Ten, but I bet they will get paid the same amount they got under the old national TV rights until 2027, 10 years after the renegotiated national TV contracts. Who knows, maybe by then they might actually make it to national TV (ABC, FOX, NBC, ESPN) more than an average of once a season. And yes, SU hasn't been that great on the football field either until this year, but we got a full share immediately and from the same time period when Rutgers was only shown a total of 5 times on one of those above networks SU has been shown 15 times.

Cheers,
Neil

According to the nj.com article, the way I understand it is that they're essentially taking advances on their future payouts to pay for short-term deficits. Which is essentially pushing out their full share to 2027. A truly Inept Athletic department and University. They're never going to get it right.