The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 333 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

I believe our final sp+ was 40 which is obviously significantly worse than our final ranking, but maybe that says more about sp+ than last year’s team.
You can outperform S&P+. It's just statistics. It will adjust itself through the year, and if we're as good as we think we could be, by mid year, when last year doesn't have as much of a role, we'll be closer to the top. But winning close and winning ugly never translates well in the underlying numbers.

Wins are what matters, I don't care if our final S&P+ is 80 if we're 10-2 again. it's just unlikely...

Thats interesting because espn didnt launch until september 1979
I believe Playboy had one a Bottom Ten list back in those days. Perhaps Townie is thinking of that?

You can outperform S&P+. It's just statistics. It will adjust itself through the year, and if we're as good as we think we could be, by mid year, when last year doesn't have as much of a role, we'll be closer to the top. But winning close and winning ugly never translates well in the underlying numbers.

Wins are what matters, I don't care if our final S&P+ is 80 if we're 10-2 again. it's just unlikely...

This thread is about the absolute wet fart of a program Rutgers is, not your common sense arguments and good points

Rutgers is a Power 5 team?

Only under a technicality that is called a genius move. Understand, the B1G wanted to pretend they don't play D1A teams, thus they claim they play FBS teams only. UM, tOSU, PedState, and MState would not give up their annual cupcake/bodybag game. The B1G decided to "invite" Rutgers to their conference, thus ensuring the annual beat down required by the aforementioned B1G teams. It merely costs the conference an eventual equal share of the BTN revenue.

Some people criticize the move but the B1G West teams get a routine bodybag game and keep the Easter Four teams from leaving to the growing ACC footprint. So, all in all, the B1G is genius because of subtraction by addition.

At least that's what I recall as the basis of the B1G's moronic decision to add Rutgers. ;)

Last edited:
I do think someone else had the bottom 10 at that time.
I remember it well, reading about it in my subscription to Sports Illustrated in October or November 1973. I was 12. We were 0-8 in venerable Coach Schwartzwalder’s last season.
The article title was “When you’re standing on your head, Syracuse is number one.”
The next year under Maloney was the first year I bought season tickets. It’s been a love affair ever since. Well, mostly a love affair. We did seek counseling in the 2000s.

haha

ESPN Has Released Its Initial "Bottom 10" Rankings

"ESPN’s weekly “Bottom 10” rankings are a who’s who of who’s bad in college football. You don’t want your team’s name on this list.

The best thing about the “Bottom 10,” which is put together by longtime ESPN writer Ryan McGee, is that he doesn’t just pick on the little guys. McGee is unafraid to put Power 5 teams in the mix.

The initial “Bottom 10” for the 2019 season was released this morning. Only one Power 5 team made the cut, though two others did get mentioned indirectly.

Here are the 10 unlucky entrants:
  1. UTEP
  2. Rice
  3. UConn
  4. San Jose State
  5. Week Zero Performances
  6. New Mexico State
  7. UMass
  8. Central Michigan
  9. Coastal Carolina
  10. Rutgers
Rutgers is the lone Power 5 representative right now, though Louisville, Oregon State, Kansas and a couple of others are knocking on the door."
Umass/rutgirls this weekend get your tickets now.

If I had to sit and watch that team in person I would be a heavy drinker and need these options

Agree, but the faithful may need more than beer.

Agree, but the faithful may need more than beer.
As much as I like to hate on Rutgers, there was a time under GROB that we were in the same boat if not worse. There were many games that I left in the first half and was hammered before I even went in to get through. We should hope for a slight improvement where Ash get retained