The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 423 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

So honest question, please don’t bite my head off. Do a majority of you really see Rutgers as a rival? I assume so based on this thread, but to me I kind of nothing them. Obviously want to smoke them but not anymore than conference opponents.

I know regional recruiting matters, but doesn’t seem to be that impactful for this current cuse staff. I would rate it a 4/10 on rivalry scale. Way behind BC, WVU, Pitt. Even wake at this point. Thoughts?
No. This happens a lot. We see them as a team we used to play a lot and for like 4-5 years fought over recruits with.

This thread was just an answer to the near constant stream of bad decisions by everyone in Piscataway (and often the humor associated with). It’s fun to warm your hands by the dumpster fire

So honest question, please don’t bite my head off. Do a majority of you really see Rutgers as a rival? I assume so based on this thread, but to me I kind of nothing them. Obviously want to smoke them but not anymore than conference opponents.

I know regional recruiting matters, but doesn’t seem to be that impactful for this current cuse staff. I would rate it a 4/10 on rivalry scale. Way behind BC, WVU, Pitt. Even wake at this point. Thoughts?
I dont consider them a rival. They have annoying fans who thought rutgers was a power house when shady made them a respectable watered down big east program.

I dont consider them a rival. They have annoying fans who thought rutgers was a power house when shady made them a respectable watered down big east program.
I’ve said it before but this is a good week to bring it up again. Their dream season ended with them winning the same bowl game Scott Shafer won and their best Big East finish was a tie with SU (and two others?). A real powerhouse program.

syracuse football doesn't have a rival. imo though if there was a team that collectively everyone in the city wanted to beat i think it would be penn state. for me personally there are 4 or 5 teams i enjoy the heck out of beating. buttgers, pitt, buttgers south, vt and miami.

They are a regional rival, though some may not like to acknowledge it so much. SU played Rutgers every year from 1982 to 2012, with SU winning 22 of 33 of them. So, the Scarlet Knights won enough games IMO for it to qualify as a legit rival. Not to mention, Rutgers has a better record against us in this millennium which is more relative to both team's current rosters.

Not to mention, Rutgers has a better record against us in this millennium which is more relative to both team's current rosters.
The freshmen on the rosters were 9 years old when the teams last met, so it really doesn't have any relativity to both teams' current rosters.

This. I work with a lot of RU fans and have to hear the BS from them about Schiano on a daily basis, it's just annoying. Listening to them talk about their artificially inflated recruiting class is just a cherry on top. Meanwhile they'll never win more than 8 games a season in the B1G.

It's like having mosquitos buzzing in your ears but you can't swat them. Winning tomorrow will be a nice blast of bug spray.

Can you please explain to me how a game that happened 9 years ago is relevant to the current rosters of Syracuse and Rutgers? Both programs are multiple coaches removed from that game in 2012.

This. I work with a lot of RU fans and have to hear the BS from them about Schiano on a daily basis, it's just annoying. Listening to them talk about their artificially inflated recruiting class is just a cherry on top. Meanwhile they'll never win more than 8 games a season in the B1G.

It's like having mosquitos buzzing in your ears but you can't swat them. Winning tomorrow will be a nice blast of bug spray.

That sums up the early years of my career in DC/NoVa, late 90s/early 00s. Hokie fans were everywhere. 1998 and 2001 were two of my favorite wins of all time for this reason. 1999 never happened.

Can you please explain to me how a game that happened 9 years ago is relevant to the current rosters of Syracuse and Rutgers? Both programs are multiple coaches removed from that game in 2012.

No thanks, I won't oblige. You have a history of only choosing to engage with me in an adversarial type manner. So, diplomatically, I'll simply leave it alone and we can continue to agree to disagree.

I’ve said it before but this is a good week to bring it up again. Their dream season ended with them winning the same bowl game Scott Shafer won and their best Big East finish was a tie with SU (and two others?). A real powerhouse program.
Haha. Facts

Rivalries are the games you look forward to the most. The games that mean that much more than any other game. Rutgers is just the gum we stepped in several years ago. Still small pieces wedged in the treads, just as annoying as the first time stepping in it.

Boo! They are a rival. Not in the sense that we play them every year, but in a “team you love to hate” sort of way. At this point we play them as much as we play PSU, Miami, VT, or WVU. Many if not all of them have forgotten they hated us too. SU has a lot of NJ based alums (myself included) who just loath the school and it’s fan base. Schiano has me by 5 or 6 years, but we grew up in the same town and went to the same high school. Pernetti too, who was a senior my freshman year. It is a recruiting issue if not a head to head battle. Duce said he knows a lot of guys on that team and he said it because Brian Higgins asked him about it. Strickland decided this was the game to come back for. It means something, especially to the Jersey people.
The Pats don’t play the Giants often, but Giants fans hated Tom Brady and the organization that took their coaches. Nothing sweeter than not having lost to them in those two SBs.

I chose to go to this game over clemson, it means more to me. It is a very important regional recruiting battle and then sugar ontop the history of the fans and schiano…. I want this game in the worst way. That’s why to me they are a rival. Everyone deep down inside is screaming to win this game whether they want admnit it or not!

I want to beat them because I live in Jersey and their misguided, bloviating fans still pine for the one night the Empire State Building lit up red. Their fans are obnoxious. Their head coach is obnoxious. I’m pissed because some of my tax money supports them. Rival? No way in Hell. Just because I hate them doesn’t make it a rivalry. I hate USC but certainly don’t consider them a rival. Their location doesn’t make them a rival either. Buffalo isn’t a rival. Albany isn’t a rival. Neither is Holy Cross. They’re all closer to Cuse than Rutgers is.

I was really hoping to see some more banter this week from RU fans on our board. I check their board daily too, hasn't been much.

I hate them. Their fans have such an over inflated self worth. I want to bury them.
The game could very well come down to turnovers,

I throw out the first game statistic that RU had, they did pretty much the same thing first game last year and did not continue with it as the season wore on

Other factors , can Turner churn out the yards again. Will DeVito have time in the pocket?
Can the RU offensive line open up holes, and will Vedral be able to throw downfield and connect?

Nobody knows for sure right now, which makes the game very interesting

I doubt either team dominates

Most RU fans don't have a over inflated self worth view, since we have achieved very little ... we do like being in the big ten as opposed to the ACC, and are always hopeful to move up the ladder in the big ten as time goes by
Hoping for six wins somehow

syracuse football doesn't have a rival. imo though if there was a team that collectively everyone in the city wanted to beat i think it would be penn state. for me personally there are 4 or 5 teams i enjoy the heck out of beating. buttgers, pitt, buttgers south, vt and miami.
When was the last time Cuse played Ped State? You've got to play a team for them to be a rival. Besides, you don't choose a rival, doesn't it just kind of happen?

When was the last time Cuse played Ped State? You've got to play a team for them to be a rival. Besides, you don't choose a rival, doesn't it just kind of happen?