The Alley Oop 3 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Alley Oop 3

Looked like an over the back as we'll. used his hand on an SU defender to catapult himself even higher for the goaltend.

I know it was a missed call and those things happen in college basketball, but completely changed the complexion of the game at that point. Shouldn't a call like that be reviewed?

Cant find video of it but didnt we benefit from a alley 3 during our 96 run which played a big outcome in a tourney game... thinking against Georgia... say we leave this alone it happens and be happy this wasent a season ender game

I think the worse part about it was the fact that they even reviewed it during the timeout and still ruled it a 3. We saw the same replay they did during the review.

Cant find video of it but didnt we benefit from a alley 3 during our 96 run which played a big outcome in a tourney game... thinking against Georgia... say we leave this alone it happens and be happy this wasent a season ender game
If you go on ESPN and watch the game highlights they show it during the segment

I think the worse part about it was the fact that they even reviewed it during the timeout and still ruled it a 3. We saw the same replay they did during the review.

By rules they can't change the call. They can only review to see if the player who made the shot was behind the line or not. Their only options were to make it a 2 or a 3 depending on where the shot was released. Blame NCAA for dumb rules where most calls can't be overturned.

By rules they can't change the call. They can only review to see if the player who made the shot was behind the line or not. Their only options were to make it a 2 or a 3 depending on where the shot was released. Blame NCAA for dumb rules where most calls can't be overturned.
Well then technically the ball was released in the cylinder by the dunker. So it would have been a 2 based on that rule.

They don't review it other than to see if the shooters feet were behind the 3 point line. They were so it was a 3. Didn't matter that the rebounder may have interfered with it or tipped it in, that part of the call is not reviewable.

We actually had the same play work in our favor in a game earlier in the season, except that the initial shot hit the rim and bounced high in the air. Our player touched it on its way back down through they cylinder. Should have been a goal tend, but that wasn't reviewable.

Good memory, but Wallace never touched that one.

For a brief moment they showed him running back on defense after they called it a 3. He was laughing his ass off in disbelief. So if there's still any doubt whether he touched it or not I think that answers it.

they dont have to review it where he shot it because it wasnt a shot it was a pass, therefore a 2 not a 3. why didnt JB complain more about that?

my thing about refs and bad calls is this...there are so many times when calls are nearly impossible to get right...judgement calls..charge block...contact fouls...that when you have gimmees like those two offensive goaltending incidents...you HAVE TO GET IT RIGHT

Refereesforweb(1).jpg

What a pleasure it has been to not see TH (retired) and JB

I will forgive yesterday's refs and be thankful for small things.

Refereesforweb(1).jpg

What a pleasure it has been to not see TH (retired) and JB

I will forgive yesterday's refs and be thankful for small things.

I think we will see Burr on Saturday vs. Duke. Its his type of game. Big game on ESPN with a national audience. He's been calling ACC games so we shall see. I'm thinking Burr, Mike Stephens, and Ed Corbett. The dream team

They don't review it other than to see if the shooters feet were behind the 3 point line. They were so it was a 3. Didn't matter that the rebounder may have interfered with it or tipped it in, that part of the call is not reviewable.

We actually had the same play work in our favor in a game earlier in the season, except that the initial shot hit the rim and bounced high in the air. Our player touched it on its way back down through they cylinder. Should have been a goal tend, but that wasn't reviewable.

i understand the basket interference may not have been reviewable under current rules but 3 point shots certainly are covered. does the replay rule specifically state that only the consideration is whether the foot was behind the line or can someone else tipping the ball also be brought up upon review?
because if it only states "to determine whether..." or such certainly that call should have been reversed.
second point. not one person in that arena would have cried foul had that basket been waived off. blatant.

Last edited:
Why couldn't they at least go to the review to change it to a 2 pointer? I understand not calling a goaltend after the fact, but there's no way that should have counted as 3 points. Go back and see the replay, and change it to a 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom