The Annual Bubble Discussion Thread - 2021 Version | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

The Annual Bubble Discussion Thread - 2021 Version

Couple interesting updates on the latest NET rankings this morning:

Syracuse jumped to 39. That’s big. If Cuse stays in the top 40 of the NET I think it really helps their chances of getting a bid.

UNC jumped up to 32 after their drubbing of ND. If they beat Vtech today, Cuse’s win over them likely becomes a Quad 1.

NC State fell from 68 to 72, barely keeping that a Quad 1 win for now. We have to hope the 5-10 teams directly behind them don’t make noise in their conf tournaments.

From my experiences of reviewing it in prior year, at this time of year (the last week) the matrix will only post day of matrixes / sometimes one day old. It doesn't keep the trailers like they do during most of the season.
Agree.

At of 6:25 AM, Xavier is down to 70 and somehow Syracuse is down to 32.

Why someone would drop Syracuse from their bracket after a dominating win, when many others on the bubble are losing is hard to understand.

There is a lag in getting updates out. The people in the matrix don't update every day and the matrix is not updated that often either. We probably won't see the direct impact of the Syracuse win over NC State and the Xavier loss until tomorrow.

I wonder if it's possible that the selection committee tries to notify teams ahead of time, quietly or at least as many as possible to help with prep given CoVid protocols that will be setup in Indy?

That would be a dream matchup. I think Drake is a very good team when 100% but with their top 2 players hurt, that game would be very winnable. Pretty sure we would be favored by a few points.
And they only play 1 guy who’s over 6’6

Couple interesting updates on the latest NET rankings this morning:

Syracuse jumped to 39. That’s big. If Cuse stays in the top 40 of the NET I think it really helps their chances of getting a bid.

UNC jumped up to 32 after their drubbing of ND. If they beat Vtech today, Cuse’s win over them likely becomes a Quad 1.

NC State fell from 68 to 72, barely keeping that a Quad 1 win for now. We have to hope the 5-10 teams directly behind them don’t make noise in their conf tournaments.
unc is absolutely going to beat vt, and absolutely be a q1 win for us... it'll be dicey w nc st remaining q1

Let’s face it ... every year the committee pulls at least one crazy talking point out their ass when discussing their criteria .. let’s not presuppose we know what it will be this time .. don’t be shocked if on Sunday early in the show you see Xaviers name on the bracket .. and your head explodes .. then when they talk to the committee chair .., he’ll say some crap like “we thought we needed more teams with an X in their name to make the tourney more alphabetically balanced “

Last edited:
unc is absolutely going to beat vt, and absolutely be a q1 win for us... it'll be dicey w nc st remaining q1

The genius on ACC network .. the Louisville Hancock dude ... said UNC will get a much tougher test from the Powerful Vtech front line ... does he watch their games ? They have one dude over 6’7 who plays significant minutes

Jerry Palm has us as a 12 seed this morning playing against Drake in a first four game.
download (7).jpg

That would be a dream matchup. I think Drake is a very good team when 100% but with their top 2 players hurt, that game would be very winnable. Pretty sure we would be favored by a few points.

So how much of their resume was built with the injured guys playing ?

pretty much all - but they were able to beat Loyola-Chicago once w/o those players

Then they shouldn’t even be in it .. the resume is bogus

Hey folks! Been out of the loop for most of the bubble talk this year, but was excited to see the bubble discussion up to 35 pages! Hahaha. Classic Cuse.

Anyways, here is what I'm thinking for Cuse rooting guide. Seems like less moving pieces on the bubble this year even with the chaos of COVID.

Did I miss anything? I love getting into random championship week games, though it is much nicer not being on the bubble...

3/10-
Butler over Xavier
Duke over Louisville

3/11-
CUSE over Virginia
UNLV over Utah St
SC over Ole Miss
TBD over Colorado St
Nevada over Boise St

3/12-
TBD over Wichita St
Was wondering where you've been. Between you, Chris02M , jncuse and Alsacs over the years, always good bubble content.

If Boise loses to Nevada we stay ahead of them to matter what happens
the 3 MW teams all have chances at bad losses

SH loses then SJ needs to probably run the table to get in

Duke needs 2 more wins to be in discussion so FSU helps us there
xavier cant catch us now

memphis has to avoid bad loss now too

Win today and we go ahead of Lou

No Idea how Drake is ahead of anyone.. Other than LIC they lost to KSU and they lost to LIC by 30 one time and almost lost all 3. They lost to Valpo and Bradley too..

they have 15 wins and most of them against really bad teams.

I wonder if it's possible that the selection committee tries to notify teams ahead of time, quietly or at least as many as possible to help with prep given CoVid protocols that will be setup in Indy?

Highly unlikely, but with the requirement that teams test negative seven straight days before the tournament and the First Four starting four days after Selection Sunday you have to wonder.

Just manually checked about half the brackets linked on the bracketmatrix web site. We were added to 19 of the 65 or so I checked.

A lot of the ones that do not list us have not been updated since before the SU-NC State game. A few that have been updated after the Xavier loss to Butler still don't include us but only a handful.

When they canvas the brackets and update them, there is little doubt we will be in the overall bracket. The only question is, did we only pass Xavier, or pass some other schools as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom