THE BIGGEST HOSING IN THE HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

THE BIGGEST HOSING IN THE HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL

Jesse and Judah were in the lane a lot with the ball and got mugged over and over. Jesse didn’t take a single FT and Judah took 2. Ridiculous.
Yup. There was one instance where Jesse got bodied (I think while scoring) with no call - I think the play after he got called for a similar body contact foul call to pick up his 3rd. It was the exact same type of play. They only called the one on us and Boeheim seemed to be making that exact point.

Edwards not shooting ANY FT’s was a joke - their whole strategy was to body him every time he touched the ball.

Judah definitely got hit on that shot he made with about 6 minutes left.

He didn't. IT WAS a basketball move. The foul does not fit into the definition of a Flagrant foul. If he swung his elbow to move the guy out of the way, that would be different. He didn't. He was bring the ball across the body. I am ok with the offensive foul (on this one, but not the earlier one, where a second player grabbed his arm, oh by the way.)
The first charge was bs, the first elbows to the face looked like a basketball play, the last one, in crunch time, he literally threw both elbows into the guys face until one connected to make space, you cannot do that, that is 100% a foul, and if there is intent to do that then by the rules it’s flagrant. I don’t make the rules. Judah will never get the benefit of the doubt because he is always out of control and leads with his elbows constantly, for the people who think the players put his face out there on purpose have obviously never gotten popped or elbowed in the face and it shows.

The first charge was bs, the first elbows to the face looked like a basketball play, the last one, in crunch time, he literally threw both elbows into the guys face until one connected to make space, you cannot do that, that is 100% a foul, and if there is intent to do that then by the rules it’s flagrant. I don’t make the rules. Judah will never get the benefit of the doubt because he is always out of control and leads with his elbows constantly, for the people who think the players put his face out there on purpose have obviously never gotten popped or elbowed in the face and it shows.
I’ve been popped and elbowed in the face. Your arguments should speak for themselves. No qualifiers necessary.

The charge was borderline. It’s a block or even a no-call plenty of times. Not a flagrant and I challenge you to find another example of this call.

I wouldn’t say he was throwing his elbows. He was in the act of shooting. It was incidental contact IMO, with Davis leaning in and trying to draw contact.
The problem is, if you lead with your elbows (Mintz always does) and you make contact it’s going to be looked at every single time.

It’s like when I guy rebounds the ball and swings them, legal if you’re not hitting anyone, you’re in trouble if you do.

It looked to me as if he was trying to protect the ball, get contact and still be able to take a shot, that is a lot going on at one time all while being fleet of foot, that’s not going to pan out well a majority of the time. The probably shouldn’t have called it, but they did and it’s hard to disagree with.

The problem is, if you lead with your elbows (Mintz always does) and you make contact it’s going to be looked at every single time.

It’s like when I guy rebounds the ball and swings them, legal if you’re not hitting anyone, you’re in trouble if you do.

It looked to me as if he was trying to protect the ball, get contact and still be able to take a shot, that is a lot going on at one time all while being fleet of foot, that’s not going to pan out well a majority of the time. The probably shouldn’t have called it, but they did and it’s hard to disagree with.
I think the rebounding example is more egregious.

While I realize it’s a different level, LeBron and Doncic lead with their bows all the time. If they’ve ever been called for a flagrant in that situation, it’s news to me.

He had both hands on the ball. He was moving the ball from one side to the other to put up a shot.
You can move the ball from one side to the other without your elbows in a defenders face. Don’t hit the guy in the face and he’s shooting two free throws, it’s that simple.

He had both hands on the ball. He was moving the ball from one side to the other to put up a shot.
That’s what I saw, a player moving the ball to prepare for the shot. Nothing about the movement was flagrant. I know there doesn’t need to be intent, but this was incidental basketball contact, it happens, refs blew it.

Ohio State 2012 is the worst thing I’ve ever seen outside of game 6 Kings v Warriors

All four of those games have moments seared in my memory because of the refs. Marquette may be the most egregious because the refs just messed up the rule. So many are subjective, but they objectively ruined the game for us.

You can move the ball from one side to the other without your elbows in a defenders face. Don’t hit the guy in the face and he’s shooting two free throws, it’s that simple.

Yeah, as you alluded to, it's the rule. I think they tweaked it a couple of years ago or so, inadvertent or not, it's a Flagrant One under this particular scenario. Just as in the example link you provided, this is what precisely occurred last night in that Mintz moment. Sucks for us, but again, it's the rule...plain and simple.

From the ncaa.

A flagrant 1 foul is two shots and the ball and that means excessive in nature or unnecessary or avoidable, uncalled for or not required by the circumstances of the play.

Im very surprised to hear any Syracuse fan have this opinion. As a general rule I believe officiating is far better than it was when I started watching in the 80's and we should appreciate it instead of being upset that they fall well short of being perfect. But this game was unfairly decided by the officials in a way that I can't find acceptable.

Forget the flagrant foul. Forget any one call. What should make every Syracuse fan mad is the fact that SU only shot 3 free throws (20 fewer than UNC) and they were the aggressors on every level of play. They drove to the hoop WAY more than UNC did (the thing that generates the most free throws). They scored more in the paint (a lot more when you dont count uncontested transition dunks). They rebounded more. They blocked more shots.

If SU and UNC had shot the same number of free throws you could have argued the officiating went against SU, and they would have won by 15 or 20. To have UNC shoot 20 more free throws given they way the two teams played defies any sense of fair play and makes it impossible to take the outcome seriously.

I take the outcome seriously, but I don't like it.

From the ncaa.

A flagrant 1 foul is two shots and the ball and that means excessive in nature or unnecessary or avoidable, uncalled for or not required by the circumstances of the play.
It was 100% avoidable and unnecessary.

It was 100% avoidable and unnecessary.
You're acting like you've never seen a Euro step before, Mintz wasn't "leading with his elbows," bringing the ball up & around is a common move... the issue/poor choice was that he didn't have the space to make the move correctly, he wasn't being crazy with the elbows - it's genuinely part of the move & players do it all the time. I'd think from an experienced player like yourself you'd get that.

I wouldn’t say he was throwing his elbows. He was in the act of shooting. It was incidental contact IMO, with Davis leaning in and trying to draw contact.
Davis is more of a flopper than our flopper: Judah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom