THE BIGGEST HOSING IN THE HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

THE BIGGEST HOSING IN THE HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL

JB looks like he's lost his fire on the sideline. I'm mostly OK with that at least with respect to barking in his players' faces. But I miss the jacket tossing Boeheim pissed at the officiating. At the minimum he should be quietly chirping at the refs each time down the court pointing out the FT disparity. Hey refs - 15-3. Hey refs 16-3. Hey refs 20-3. Hey refs 23-3. Point to the scoreboard. Come on Jimmy get fired up!

You can definitely tell who played basketball and who didn’t.
I did not play basketball and I am not entering the debate on whether it is or is not a foul. The outcome stinks, the free throw discrepancy highly suspicious and and several questionable non-calls in this game. I am puzzled whether this team is snakebitten or just does not have the basketball IQ needed at this level. At this point in the season we need to stop talking about freshmen learning. As many have mentioned, we need to start by not digging a hole in EVERY game after the tipoff.

JB looks like he's lost his fire on the sideline. I'm mostly OK with that at least with respect to barking in his players' faces. But I miss the jacket tossing Boeheim pissed at the officiating. At the minimum he should be quietly chirping at the refs each time down the court pointing out the FT disparity. Hey refs - 15-3. Hey refs 16-3. Hey refs 20-3. Hey refs 23-3. Point to the scoreboard. Come on Jimmy get fired up!
Im gonna defend JB on this one. What do you want him to do? Get a T on top of the flagrant? Game wasnt over yet

As awful as this game was from the officials, this is nothing compared to Butler in 2010, Marquette in 2011, Ohio State in 2012 or Michigan in 2013.
I agree but what makes this one hurt is the consistent favoring UNC (cheaters) seem to get from the ACC.

Guys, I couldn’t agree with you more that there’s an obvious ref bias when it comes to the Holes, but I don’t agree with the ‘tobacco road’ reference. I’m an NC State alum and avid fan since I was 14 years old. I’m now 66 and that UNC bias has existed since before I became a Pack fan. It’s only gotten worse with ESPN’s adoption of UNC as their media darlings. My son is a Pitt alum and I told him to get ready when ya’ll joined the ACC.

The Holes were preseason No 1 and everything I’ve seen since their slow start is a concerted effort by the ACC front office and ESPN to get them back there at all costs. Their last two games are prime examples.

In the Pack’s loss to them in Chapel Hill on Saturday, State is down one at the half in a very competitive game. By the end of the game, our big, DJ Burns, had been nullified with phantom fouls and the Cheats rode a 39-12 FT advantage to an 11 point victory. I can understand a bit of home cooking, but that’s one hell of a discrepancy.

Last night, the game seemed to be called fairly even thru the first 20 minutes or so but things changed once it was evident you guys were a serious threat in the 2nd half. Suddenly Edwards is picking up phantom foul after phantom foul while Bacot simply operates with total impunity. The result is a 4 point loss for the home team with the visitors enjoying a 23-3 FT advantage.

So in two games, one at home and one on the road, against teams that play completely different defensive styles (full court man-to-man vs zone), the Holes win by a total of 15 points while enjoying a 62-15 FT advantage!!! Let that one sink in for a bit.

It’s beyond egregious and I don’t see it changing in my lifetime.

Agreed. Bacot ended up throwing Edwards to the floor. Didn’t seem intentional or especially reckless - he was just trying to get the ball and Edwards held on and went for the ride. If Edwards busts his face on the floor and stays down on the floor, does that become a flagrant?
That I would think might fit into the definition. Results oriented, not reffing the play. Had a friends kid that actually fractured his sinus/skull sinus playing soccer on a contested header. Aggressive soccer play. No cards were issued, but if they knew the outcome, the other guy probably would have been suspended a long time (although he sustained a concussion).

I did not play basketball and I am not entering the debate on whether it is or is not a foul. The outcome stinks, the free throw discrepancy highly suspicious and and several questionable non-calls in this game. I am puzzled whether this team is snakebitten or just does not have the basketball IQ needed at this level. At this point in the season we need to stop talking about freshmen learning. As many have mentioned, we need to start by not digging a hole in EVERY game after the tipoff.
We also got down ten in the second half. How do you explain that? The starters at half tied the game in the second half before falling behind by ten.

I thought it was quite interesting that Red and Gmac have become more involved on the sideline recently including during timeouts.

I agree but what makes this one hurt is the consistent favoring UNC (cheaters) seem to get from the ACC.

If we were the program in the ACC that we were in the Big East, we'd get plenty of help from the refs.

So, I'm still in the camp that the defenders movement is important to calling it a charge.
In order to take a charge, the alteration will require a defending player to be in legal guarding position before the airborne player leaves the floor to pass or shoot. Additionally, the defending player is not allowed to move in any direction before contact occurs (except vertically to block a shot).
If Davis can't be moving, he has to have his feet set before Judah leaves the court and only go straight up. He was not.

But then I read elsewhere that a player backpedaling is guaranteed to have legal guard positioning. So what the hell do I know anymore.

Last edited:
Guys, I couldn’t agree with you more that there’s an obvious ref bias when it comes to the Holes, but I don’t agree with the ‘tobacco road’ reference. I’m an NC State alum and avid fan since I was 14 years old. I’m now 66 and that UNC bias has existed since before I became a Pack fan. It’s only gotten worse with ESPN’s adoption of UNC as their media darlings. My son is a Pitt alum and I told him to get ready when ya’ll joined the ACC.

The Holes were preseason No 1 and everything I’ve seen since their slow start is a concerted effort by the ACC front office and ESPN to get them back there at all costs. Their last two games are prime examples.

In the Pack’s loss to them in Chapel Hill on Saturday, State is down one at the half in a very competitive game. By the end of the game, our big, DJ Burns, had been nullified with phantom fouls and the Cheats rode a 39-12 FT advantage to an 11 point victory. I can understand a bit of home cooking, but that’s one hell of a discrepancy.

Last night, the game seemed to be called fairly even thru the first 20 minutes or so but things changed once it was evident you guys were a serious threat in the 2nd half. Suddenly Edwards is picking up phantom foul after phantom foul while Bacot simply operates with total impunity. The result is a 4 point loss for the home team with the visitors enjoying a 23-3 FT advantage.

So in two games, one at home and one on the road, against teams that play completely different defensive styles (full court man-to-man vs zone), the Holes win by a total of 15 points while enjoying a 62-15 FT advantage!!! Let that one sink in for a bit.

It’s beyond egregious and I don’t see it changing in my lifetime.
thanks for taking the time. Beyond egregious about sums it up. Expected it down there but up here, never seen anything like it.

At our ages we shouldn't let it burn us up, but man been pissed all day long! so frustrating. Again thanks for the input.

Last edited:
All the BOT and AD care about is getting that big $30M check from the ACC every year> All we need to do to get it is be the conference doormat in football and get jobbed in every close hoops game against UNC and Duke. What a deal.
hWpa0iL.png

I wouldn’t say he was throwing his elbows. He was in the act of shooting. It was incidental contact IMO, with Davis leaning in and trying to draw contact.
Judah and Davis were going at it hard towards the end of the game. Little question exists Judah was determined to go in leading with a high elbow to get an edge on Davis. IMO I have never seen a player lead with a high elbow driving to the basket like that in college - and this is the crux - it was Mano a Mano and in my mind Judah lost his composure and tried to bully himself to Davis To atleast draw a foul.

Judah and Davis were going at it hard towards the end of the game. Little question exists Judah was determined to go in leading with a high elbow to get an edge on Davis. IMO I have never seen a player lead with a high elbow driving to the basket like that in college - and this is the crux - it was Mano a Mano and in my mind Judah lost his composure and tried to bully himself to Davis To atleast draw a foul.
A good PG needs intuition and ability to make quick decisions reacting on the fly to what the D gives him.

Judah appears to need work on that.
His bad plays appear to be preconceived then followed through on instead of creating from what is there.
The right was there for Judah on that drive, but he'd decided that would be his move and stuck with it.

Judah has a good PG "attack" mentality. Has to improve his flexibility and decision-making.

A good PG needs intuition and ability to make quick decisions reacting on the fly to what the D gives him.

His bad plays appear to be preconceived then followed through on instead of creating from what is there.
The right was there for Judah on that drive, but he'd decided that would be his move and stuck with it.

Judah has a good PG "attack" mentality. Has to improve his flexibility and decision-making.
great take, I couldn’t agree more. What is so obvious to us should be a teachable decision making option to the young guy.

Tobacco Road has spoken
The Carolina mafia still has some work to do. Both Duke / UNC still need a lot of help if they want to play first weekend tourney games in Greensboro. According to Lundardi's 1/23 projection the protected seeds at Greensboro are currently #1 Tennessee and #3 Virginia. He's got Duke as a #5 in Albany (plenty of northeast bandwagoners) and UNC at #8 in Birmingham.

Eh, those big swing throughs and steps have gained popularity. Personally don’t care for those moves.

On the other hand I can still visualize Pearl Washington similarly going coast to coast in the waning seconds of a Big East tournament final against St John’s at MSG. Walter Berry blocked the shot in the lane and SU lost; Rafael Addison was wide open on the wing.
Happens to the best.

On the other hand I can still visualize Pearl Washington similarly going coast to coast in the waning seconds of a Big East tournament final against St John’s at MSG. Walter Berry blocked the shot in the lane and SU lost; Rafael Addison was wide open on the wing.
Happens to the best.
Yes it does happen to the best -but not a chronic issue with the best.
Judah with the ball is a work in progress.
Pearl with the ball was a Work of Art!

Last edited:
As long as the defenders feet are moving you’d think people around here believe that I could throw punches at the defender with my free hand to get to the hoop and it’s ok.
The reffing was atrocious last night and everyone knows it. We only shot three free throws all game, which appears to be a Syracuse record. Honestly, the foul shot discrepancy kept UNC in the game! They missed a lot of fouls all game, well before the end of game fiasco.

Yes it does happen to the best -but not a chronic issue with the best.
Judah is with the ball is a work in progress.
Pearl with the ball was a Work of Art!
Yeah, I mean in our heyday Judah comes off the bench for a year. He’s not Pearl or Flynn who as far as I know were our only freshmen PG’s capable of carrying the team on their backs down the stretch of close games.

I think/hope he’ll be a lot better next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom