THE BIGGEST HOSING IN THE HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

THE BIGGEST HOSING IN THE HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL

rarely do I use the refs cost us the game excuse. BUT
The 2 calls against Mintz were Blue blood garbage.
The first charging call @ the 4-5 minute mark the UNC player was not "set".
The second call he WAS set and and the play deserved a charging call.
BUT NOT A FLAGRANT.
The officials determined the outcome of the game in UNC's favor.
yep on the end, no though, he wasn't "set" in either. Terrible calls, that AGAIN, cost the game. Like Death and taxes, this crap every friggin year in this league. Sickening

At WORST, the Ft disparity should’ve been something like 20 to 10.

Judah was attacking and getting in the paint all game and we tried to go to Edwards a lot who was getting bodied and pushed constantly. Those two should’ve been on the line more than they were.

Mintz’s charge with 5 minutes left that would’ve put us in the lead and blew the roof off the Dome was an absolute joke.

Refs stopped our momentum multiple times to look at obvious calls, too. For WAY too long every time too.

And yeah, Bacot got away with fouling on the missed FT.

Yeah, the refs killed us and Girard making a dumb play doesn’t excuse that. We played well and should’ve won the game.

He didn't have position. That's what a block is. You don't like it, then rewrite the rules. That's the second one they missed and in a game like last night's, it proved crucial. A three point play off of the first missed call swings the game in one that was that tight until the final "charge".
So you can punch the opposing player in the face as long as he doesn’t have position, got it.

He was backpedaling the entire time. That's not defensive position. That's why the college rule is messed up because it simply leaves it in the hands of the referee which is why we're having this conversation today.
If you're saying Mintz didn't charge, then you need to call a block on one of the ones he drew in the first half. He was moving, but in position.

I think Syracuse is primed to become a Georgia Tech/Wake Forrest level program. Probably 2 more seasons of this, then a new coach, but we're still going to be on the receiving end of "Yankee" calls. We're going to be like Bell & Howell. A formerly great brand that was bought out for the IP. The Blue Bloods in the ACC will use us like glorified Washington Generals.

I think Syracuse is primed to become a Georgia Tech/Wake Forrest level program. Probably 2 more seasons of this, then a new coach, but we're still going to be on the receiving end of "Yankee" calls. We're going to be like Bell & Howell. A formerly great brand that was bought out for the IP. The Blue Bloods in the ACC will use us like glorified Washington Generals.
We finally look like a real team and the game was taken from us. Period.

Cahill and Papparo were consistently terrible, but they were equal-opportunity bottle-jobbers, screwing teams randomly with bad calls a lot.

I wouldn't call their ineptness or often seemingly purposeful bad calls to inject themselves into the game outcomes a "league bias" by any stretch, altho they both seemed to enjoy twisting the screws on JB in particular. They were just really poor officials from a professional standpoint.

That's not the case in the ACC... there is definitely and officiating bias.
Yeah, we didn’t have a Duke or a UNC in the BE. Calhoun would lobby for calls, and sometimes that would result in favoritism in the second half. And guys like Pitino and Dixon would dare the refs to call every foul. Overall, bad officiating was just bad officiating.

At the time, I thought it was a no-call and maybe even a block, but when I watched it again it was indeed an offensive foul on Judah.

However, it was NOT a flagrant 1. I won't even go into the reasons why, but it just wasn't.

That’s where I’m at.
I agree but lets be honest if the situations are reversed and its in the Dean Dome and one of their guards drives into the defender going to the basket they don't call the charge.

I bet if Girard doesn't screw up and lets the ball go out those refs would have given UNC last shot even though it looked off them was hard to tell.

It was a ridiculously one sided game. We also were the smaller team they are bigger, older, and more athletic the only way to win was gonna be making tough shots. I just wish Joe let that one go out and they at least had to earn it.

Yeah, we didn’t have a Duke or a UNC in the BE. Calhoun would lobby for calls, and sometimes that would result in favoritism in the second half. And guys like Pitino and Dixon would dare the refs to call every foul. Overall, bad officiating was just bad officiating.
Yup.

A loss last night and preseason #1 UNC with everyone back from the final run last year is probably not in the Field of 68. Can't have that and them missing the Dance.

Syracuse is an also ran we are another Louisville to them.

You keep coming back to this, but punching an opposing player in the face isn’t a basketball play.
Throwing your elbows isn’t either.

NC State fan here. I don't normally jump on other fan boards but I felt the need today to commiserate with Orange fans. We've been dealing with the officiating discrepancy when playing the blues for decades. Even so, I believe our game this past weekend at CH was the most imbalanced I have ever seen: 39 - 12 in FTA. When State fans say anything, we're labeled as whiny and not understanding that UNC is "elite". Huh...

Just like you guys, we won the game in every other way but that doesn't matter when it's 5 vs 8. Y'all got hosed last night and I wish I could say I was shocked... but I've seen this movie too many times. I think the only way it ever changes is when enough fans/media/ADs/coaches band together to make it impossible to deny.

Anyways, good luck with the rest of your season (except Feb 14th lol) and thank you for allowing me to post this.

Referees should be investigated. Down to blowing the whistle with .8 to go to try and get the UNC cover. 3 of Jesse’s fouls were BS. MOUNIR PUSHED IN THE BACK BY BACOT IN THE ft to win. And obviously the flagrant. JB has to sound off. Inexcusable. 24 ft to 3… The boys played too hard for this outcome. Pathetic
agreed the mintz charge which imo changed the entire end of the gane should have been an and 0ne we were screwed at Miami and last night this is BS

Try being an NC State fan as this has been going on for decades. Unfortunately, NC State is controlled by UNC both academically and athletically. There is nothing we can do because the state of North Carolina is so politically tied to UNC. I strongly encourage Syracuse fans to throw a fit and continue to make noise specifically in the media. Maybe if enough speak up we will finally expose the match-fixing.

Check this link out from our game versus them on Saturday.

I didn’t like the flagrant call (it was an offensive foul though), but this was not a hose job. Syracuse shot themselves in the foot repeatedly. Girard saving the ball under his own basket was the worst. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Im very surprised to hear any Syracuse fan have this opinion. As a general rule I believe officiating is far better than it was when I started watching in the 80's and we should appreciate it instead of being upset that they fall well short of being perfect. But this game was unfairly decided by the officials in a way that I can't find acceptable.

Forget the flagrant foul. Forget any one call. What should make every Syracuse fan mad is the fact that SU only shot 3 free throws (20 fewer than UNC) and they were the aggressors on every level of play. They drove to the hoop WAY more than UNC did (the thing that generates the most free throws). They scored more in the paint (a lot more when you dont count uncontested transition dunks). They rebounded more. They blocked more shots.

If SU and UNC had shot the same number of free throws you could have argued the officiating went against SU, and they would have won by 15 or 20. To have UNC shoot 20 more free throws given they way the two teams played defies any sense of fair play and makes it impossible to take the outcome seriously.

Im very surprised to hear any Syracuse fan have this opinion. As a general rule I believe officiating is far better than it was when I started watching in the 80's and we should appreciate it instead of being upset that they fall well short of being perfect. But this game was unfairly decided by the officials in a way that I can't find acceptable.

Forget the flagrant foul. Forget any one call. What should make every Syracuse fan mad is the fact that SU only shot 3 free throws (20 fewer than UNC) and they were the aggressors on every level of play. They drove to the hoop WAY more than UNC did (the thing that generates the most free throws). They scored more in the paint (a lot more when you dont count uncontested transition dunks). They rebounded more. They blocked more shots.

If SU and UNC had shot the same number of free throws you could have argued the officiating went against SU, and they would have won by 15 or 20. To have UNC shoot 20 more free throws given they way the two teams played defies any sense of fair play and makes it impossible to take the outcome seriously.

Jesse and Judah were in the lane a lot with the ball and got mugged over and over. Jesse didn’t take a single FT and Judah took 2. Ridiculous.

As long as the defenders feet are moving you’d think people around here believe that I could throw punches at the defender with my free hand to get to the hoop and it’s ok.
He didn't. IT WAS a basketball move. The foul does not fit into the definition of a Flagrant foul. If he swung his elbow to move the guy out of the way, that would be different. He didn't. He was bring the ball across the body. I am ok with the offensive foul (on this one, but not the earlier one, where a second player grabbed his arm, oh by the way.)

If you're saying Mintz didn't charge, then you need to call a block on one of the ones he drew in the first half. He was moving, but in position.
Charge is fine. I wasn’t arguing that while watching.

The flagrant basically ended the game. Call a normal charge and we still have a shot.

Kinda feel like it should just be accepted that sometimes accidents happen in sports. Flagrants should be reserved for when it’s intentional or insanely reckless.(diving into someone’s knee to get the ball, wildly swinging elbows.)

Despite some fans’ frustration with Mintz….I didn’t think he was reckless. He was trying to make a move.

I thought it was also weird that 3 possession calls that were called in SU's favor near the end initially then went to the monitor. At least one wasn't even close. None were overturned but it felt like they really wanted to give the ball back to UNC.

He didn't. IT WAS a basketball move. The foul does not fit into the definition of a Flagrant foul. If he swung his elbow to move the guy out of the way, that would be different. He didn't. He was bring the ball across the body. I am ok with the offensive foul (on this one, but not the earlier one, where a second player grabbed his arm, oh by the way.)
Agreed. Bacot ended up throwing Edwards to the floor. Didn’t seem intentional or especially reckless - he was just trying to get the ball and Edwards held on and went for the ride. If Edwards busts his face on the floor and stays down on the floor, does that become a flagrant?

I thought it was also weird that 3 possession calls that were called in SU's favor near the end initially then went to the monitor. At least one wasn't even close. None were overturned but it felt like they really wanted to give the ball back to UNC.
Yup! One when we were up 2 and got a stop and the place was absolutely rocking - anything to stop our momentum. They briefly showed it on the replay board - maybe like 3 seconds long and it was instantly 100% obvious it was off UNC. They looked at it way too long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom