The Bold, Brave Men of Archbold 1955: Holy Cross | Syracusefan.com

The Bold, Brave Men of Archbold 1955: Holy Cross

SWC75

Bored Historian
(I finally get back to this after my computer problems and other diversions.)

In the days of old, when knights were bold
Every city had its warrior man.
In the days of new, when fights are few
You will view them from a big grandstand.
In our college town one has great renown
If the game of football he should play.
With his pig-skin ball he is cheered by all,
He's the Saltine Warrior of today.

The Saltine Warrior is a bold, bad man,
And his weapon is a pigskin ball,
When on the field he takes a good, firm stand,
He's the hero of large and small.
He will rush toward the goal with might and main
His opponents all fight, but they fight in vain,
Because the Saltine Warrior is a bold, bad man,
And victorious over all.

We are early in a new era in SU football- the Scott Shafer era. 64 years ago, another era began- the Ben Schwartzwalder Era, during which SU rose from its greatest depths to its greatest heights, and then all the way back down again. It was the era into which I was born, the one I remember from my youth. I can still recall listening to the games on the radio and waiting until Tuesday to see the grainy black and white films of the previous Saturday’s games on the local news. The music played over these highlights was not “Down, Down the Field”. It was “The Saltine Warrior”. My Dad thought he knew the beginning of it and would sing “The Saltine Warrior was a bold, brave man”. I later found that the line was “bold, bad, man”. But that’s not the way I learned it and it’s not the way I like it. My heroes were not “bad” men. They were “brave” men. They were the “Bold, Brave Men of Archbold”.

The Build-Up

Earlier this season, (2012), Syracuse played an FCS team, Stony Brook. We’d lost 7 games in a row and a local reporter said that if we lost this one, it would be the first time we lost to an FCS team since 1958. That 1958 loss was a one-pointer to Holy Cross. But Holy Cross was not the equivalent of an FCS team in the 1950’s. They were a major eastern independent, coached by the legendary Dr. Eddie Anderson, who had played for Rockne at Notre Dame and coached Nile Kinnick at Iowa. He had two stints with the Crusaders, 1933-38 and 1950-64, winning 129 games, losing 67 and tying 8.While Anderson was at Iowa, the Crusaders beat #1 ranked Boston College in 1942 by the whopping score of 55-12 and were invited to the 1/1/46 Orange Bowl, which they famously lost to Miami, which they famously lost on the last play of the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QzGiSM6Zd4
Ouch!

They were a formidable opponent in those days and were off to a strong start in 1955. They’d beaten Temple, Dartmouth, Colgate, the Quantico Marines and Boston University for a 5-0 start. Not exactly a soft landing for SU after getting blown out by Maryland. On top of that the Crusaders wanted to break a five game losing streak against the Orange, three of which had been by a touchdown or less.

But we were not without weapons. Jim Brown was getting recognized as a very big one. He was the subject of a Monday column by the Herald-Journal’s Jack Slattery. “Jimmy Brown stood out head and shoulders over every other performer in the game between Maryland and Syracuse.” Bob Pellegrini of Maryland had told him “If Brown were playing behind our line he would run right out of the stadium”. Slattery reported that there wasn’t a single Maryland footballer who had anything but praise for Jimmy’s efforts. For two weeks in a row, Brown has been outstanding against a first rate line. From here on he should be something special to watch. His foes will be tough and they will be pointing for him, but they can’t be any tougher than the Maryland line was Saturday.” The column contained a portrait of the handsome young star in a suit and tie.

Bill Reddy noted that Maryland had been giving up 39 yards rushing a game but Syracuse, behind Brown, got 115. Terp guard Jack Davis told him “That Brown is the hardest halfback to bring down that I’ve ever played against. It’s like tackling a truck!” Brown was leading the team with 298 yards rushing on 55 carries, (5.4 yards per carry).

But the Marylanders were a happy group when they learned that, off the Syracuse victory they had once again risen to be ranked the nation’s #1 team in the associated press poll. Thus, while the Maryland game may not show up on a list of games where Syracuse played a #1 ranked team, in essence, that’s what they were. In the following week’s stats, Maryland was still the #1 rushing defense in the nation, now with 52 yards per game. #2 was the Orange’s next opponent, Holy Cross, at 58 yards per game. The Terps and Crusaders ranked 6th and 7th in total defense, (101 and 102 yards per game, respectively) while Syracuse was tied for 10th in pass defense, (51 yards per game). Two other SU opponents, Army and Colgate were ranked #4 and #5 in total defense and were #3-4 in rushing defense. Still another, West Virginia, was #9 in rushing defense. It was quite a schedule. “To win it looks like Syracuse must get the ball in the air for Anderson is a master at throwing eight and nine man lines at the Orange, stopping their running attack before it can get underway.”

SU end Harvey Healy came up with a “charley horse”, (remember them?) and was doubtful for the Holy Cross game. But fullback Don Laacksonen, injured against Army, was expected back, along with halfback Ed Ackley, who had pulled a leg muscle in workouts. Ronnie Tyler had been injured in traffic accident after the Maryland game, suffering a bruised shoulder and abrasions. “It is hoped he’ll that be ready to help the Orange try to make it six in a row against the Crusaders.” The “Boys of Mount St. James” had injury problems of their own Halfbacks Gerry O’Leary and Bob Rosmarino were out. “We may have trouble finding a halfback to use against Syracuse” said Anderson.

Slattery: “Gerry O’Leary, Crusader fullback who was deemed to be one of New England’s all-time greats when he left high school for the Holy Cross campus, is the object of everyone’s sympathy. O’Leary seemed headed for national fame during his high school career. In his sophomore year, he broke his leg so badly that it was believed he might never walk again. But O’Leary wasn’t listening. He made himself well. Well enough to play again. But against BU, a block from behind crunched him to the ground and he sustained a triple break in the same leg. His injury so depressed the Crusaders that they didn’t even celebrate their victory. And one or two of the players even cried at the unfairness of the situation. O’Leary wanted more than anything else in the world to play college football. When Holy Cross takes the field Saturday you can bet they’ll be playing this one for the young Irishmen in Boston’s Carney Hospital.”

They still had Manlius grad Jim Buonopane, “who has looked like an All-American guard to Central New York fans”. Also, “Holy Cross doesn’t just have one top quarterback: it has two. John Stephens and Bill Smithers share the signal calling job but because Smithers is such a fine runner, in addition to his other skills, scout Bill Eschenfelder says he wouldn’t be surprised to find Anderson putting Smithers at right half if Rosemarino doesn’t recover from his injury.” It’s a formidable combination to have a quarterback and also halfback who can pass like one. “And of Dale Hohl, a junior halfback from Buffalo who personally wrecked Colgate’s undefeated season. Eschefelder says he’s as great a competitor as there is in football anywhere.” Bill said “This is a team that likes to run and pass, which will make the exceedingly difficult to stop.” The Crusaders used a “tricky Chicago Bear type T which employs the cross buck and the dive series as their basic running plays and the short pass and pitch-out as their touchdown getters.”

Bill Eschenfelder later went to work for General Electric and worked with my father. He told Dad that the coaching staff used to like to watch Jim Brown eat ice cream at the training table just to see the muscles in his neck move. They fed them ice cream?

Bill Reddy noted that Notre Dame was using an unbalanced line- with both tackles on the same side of center, a scheme that had originated with Ben Schwartzwalder. Jim Tatum said he’d been thinking of doing the same thing. Ben said “I’d still rather have Maryland’s line, unbalanced or not.” Ben was not of the opinion that Syracuse had played well against Maryland, even though it had been suggested that we competed well against the best team in the country. “After looking at the movies, I have to say that we played a very poor game. I think Maryland must have played a poor game, too. If we play the same kind of game against Holy Cross Saturday, we’re in for a licking.” He admitted, “Maryland is the best blocking team we’ve ever played.” Reddy wondered about that. “When you think about other opponents, like Illinois and Alabama, for instance…but who wants to think about them?” Playing teams like that, (also Michigan State) at least gave Ben a pretty good idea of what a national championship team looked like.

On Tuesday Ben attended a Varsity Club luncheon at the Yates Hotel, along with Coach Chuck Dailey Pete Schwert and Jim Brown. (Wouldn’t that have been fun?) Films were shown of the Maryland game. Per Slattery, “Ben’s comments on the game reflected a certain bitterness because he didn’t feel the team played the kind of game of which it is capable.” Ben: “They just didn’t hit out there. It seemed almost as if there was an element of mass hypnosis. When we finally woke up and started to play it was too late….I hope my kids are mad at those Holy Cross guys. Just for 60 minutes and then they can be the best of friends. I tell you that the Holy Cross coach, Dr. Eddie Anderson, is just about one of the nicest fellows we play against all year. He’s a great coach and a grand guy and I like him. But for 60 minutes on Saturday afternoon I’m going to find something to be mad at him about. And I hope these boys get the same idea.”

24,000 were expected to witness the game at Fitton Field in Worcester, Massachusetts. Sam Corenswet, the chairman of the Sugar Bowl selection committee was said to be present for the game. They weren’t looking at Syracuse. Holy Cross athletic director Gene Flynn was quoted as saying “I doubt very much if they’ll be considering any team from this area after that walloping Syracuse took in the Orange Bowl a couple of years ago. They set Eastern football prestige back 20 years.” Jack Slattery wondered if the Syracuse players might have been informed of that quote. Will Grimsley, who did a column of predictions, had the Crusaders winning 13-21. “Syracuse had played Army and Maryland on successive weekends and will have little pep left.” Holy Cross, despite being the home team, elected to wear white jerseys while the Orange was “orange” for the first time in the season. SU’s 100 man marching band with Orange Girl Alta Burg, was along to entertain the fans. Bill Reddy did an interview with the ticket seller at the Holy Cross athletic department, a tall fellow named Tom Heinsohn, who was the star of the basketball team.

The Game

“Holy Cross a three point favorite going into yesterday afternoon’s game against Syracuse University, ran into the best football team to represent the Hill in years and left the field with a look of disbelief at a scoreboard which read 49-9 in favor of Syracuse”. I don’t think the Sugar Bowl scout was impressed, at least not with the home team.

The game had begun well enough for the Crusaders and very frustratingly for the Orange. Jim Brown returned the opening kick-off to the SU 33, “the start of an afternoon that saw him gain a total of 157 yards on kick returns during the game”. Ironically, on a day when the Orange score 7 touchdowns, Big Jim never dented the end zone, except for three extra points that he kicked. But “the Orange, with Brown doing most of the ball carrying moved down to the Holy Cross 12 before the attack died out”.

Brown then picked off a Holy Cross pass at the at the 40 and ran it back to the 13. “The Orange’s golden opportunity went away when Mark Hoffman fumbled on the first play and Holy Cross recovered.” (Wouldn’t that have been an Orange opportunity?) Holy Cross was forced to punt but a clipping penalty moved the ball back to the Orange 30. Syracuse was forced to punt and Bill Smithers returned Don Althouse’s kick to the Orange 35.

Then came a highly controversial play. Smithers rolled out and “before a defender could reach him, Smithers twisted his ankle, landed heavily on his right arm and the ball slithered out of his grasp. A Syracusean promptly fell on it at midfield. Referee Keating unaccountably ruled that it was not a fumble, but an incomplete pass. This, despite the fact that Smithers had made no motion to throw the ball”. Whatever pain this caused on the Orange sideline was magnified when Jack Stephens, replacing Smithers, dropped back to punt. He “faked the kick, raced to the right sideline and dodged his way for the 35 yards to the end zone”. The kick was good, giving the Crusaders a 0-7 lead. New Orleans, here we come!

Not so fast, my friend. Brown returned the kick-off back 29 yards and later had a 22 yard run with a pitch-out to the Holy Cross 20. Jim Ridlon scored on an end-around from the 14 and the deluge of Syracuse touchdowns had begun.

Holy Cross was forced to punt after Joe Krivak sacked Stephens for a 10 yard loss. Ed Ackley returned the punt 17 yards to the Holy Cross 39. Billy Micho did the rest of the work, gaining 27 yards on a pitch-out and gaining the last 8 yards on two plays, the clincher coming from the 3. This being the second team, (scoring against Holy Cross’s first team), Dick Darr kicked the point.

The first team came back in and forced another punt, which allowed Jim Brown to put on a show. He caught the punt at the SU 39 and “faked a handoff and then started upfield. At the 50 he was close to the Orange bench. There he stopped, reversed his field and was caught…near the Holy Cross sideline by Stephens. His run gained 56 yards but covered more than 100 yards on the ground.” Two penalties and a run by Eddie Albright got the ball two the two where Eddie leapt over the goal line for the third score. Brown converted to make it 21-7 at the half.

In the third period Ferd Kuzala “ran far to his left and pin-pointed Don Althouse” with a 35 yard pass to the Holy Cross 14. Kuzala, “ran to his left on a keep or pitch play. The Crusader right end had him bottled up as he jumped up and, over-hand rather than in the customary under-hand pitch, got the ball the Micho, who sped into the end zone near the flag in the corner of the field .“ Darr converted to give the visitors a commanding 28-7 lead.

“The last period was a rout and not a true indication of the strength of the Crusader team. It was throwing desperation passes in the face of a line that simply overpowered the Holy Cross front wall.” A Glenn Preising sack of Stephens was followed by a punt block by Jim Ridlon. “Syracuse ran two plays and, on the 13 yard line, Albright faded to pass, found no receivers, and burst through the wide open middle of the Holy Cross line for a score.” Big Jim converted and it was 35-7.

Bill Brown intercepted a pass and returned it to the Orange 38 yard line. Then came a play SU had used against Maryland, an interesting relic of the days when there were several players in the backfield. “Albright spun away from the line and the ball went to fullback Gus Zaso on a direct snap. He bucked toward the line, handed off to Albright and the quarterback pitched to Hoffman. That halfback broke to his left, spotted Ridlon on the Holy Cross 30 and threw him a lead pass. When Ridlon got the ball over the hands of a defender, he had a clear path to the goal line.” The play covered 62 yards. SU was caught without a kicker in the line-up and couldn’t send one in under the rules of the day so Albright threw to Zaso for a one-point conversion to make it 42-7.

Darr closed the scoring with a 42 yard pick 6 and did his own conversion. To their credit, the Crusaders didn’t quit. It just wasn’t their day. They drove down to the SU 1 in the final seconds but Tom Roberts fumbled going over the goal line and SU’s Joe Pollino recovered on the 2. The home team got a final whiff of success when Lou Iannicello, trying to run the clock out, couldn’t make it out of the end zone, making the final score Syracuse 49 Holy Cross 9. That Sugar Bowl scout was doubtless on his way back to New Orleans by that time.

Syracuse out-gained Holy Cross 301-191. The Orange only attempted 7 passes, completing 5 for 124 yards. The Crusaders completed 10 of 22 passes but only got 112 yards out of it and 3 of them were intercepted. Jim Brown only rushed for 45 yards on 11 carried but ran back two punts for 96 yards and two kick-offs for 61 yards, as well as interception a pass and kicking three extra points. You had to be versatile in those days.

The 1956 NCAA Guide has a classic shot of Ridlon blocking the punt in the third period. Jack Ringel is frozen in the kicker’s pose, his left leg pointing to the ground, (but slightly off of it), his right leg stomach high and slightly crooked, just having made contact with the ball a split second beforehand. His arms are separated and his hands open as if he was lining up a picture of the on-coming Ridlon. Jim is flying through the air, perhaps two feet off the ground, his knees bent and calves parallel to the turf. One arm is extended forward, the other pointing to 8 o’clock, his head down, staring at the ball, which is circled and headed toward the ground between them, “reducing the value of the boot to zero”. The same shot is on the front page of the sports section of the Herald-American, without the circle.

The Post Standard showed Albright, parallel to the ground, falling over defenders into the end for the third score and Billy Micho bulling past them for the first one. The Herald-Journal had the same two plays but in closer shots. Albright, hunched over with the ball encased in his arms, has found an opening between the defenders and is coming in for a landing into the end zone. Jim Buonopnae has an arm around Micho’s head and looks as if he’s trying to twist it off. It wouldn’t have prevented the score even if he had succeeded and the ball, cradled, in Billy’s arms, has passed the goal line. Albright was also show eluding two defenders on the way to the goal for the fifth score.

Other shots showed Jim Brown taking a bead on a Holy Cross pass while jumping behind the receiver to get at the ball. This wasn’t his interception: he knocked it down. Jim was such a great runner that his defensive play and his kicking has been forgotten. Below that shot Gus Zaso also leaps for an interception and has his extended hands of a ball but he couldn’t hold it. Tom Richardson is shown hauling in an over-the-shoulder pass in the first quarter, making what is normally an error by looking downfield as he was catching the ball. But here he held onto it. Next to that shot is Jim’s interception. He’s run into front of the receiver, who is crouching, waiting for the ball. Another SU player is behind the receiver, making an ill-timed leap for a ball that never got to him. Next to that is the one moment of Crusader glory, Jack Stephens running out of the arms of Jim Ridlon and down the sidelines that produced the false-positive 0-7 start to the game.

But the best photograph shows the end of Jim Brown’s third quarter punt return. He’s been tackled by two Crusaders but has somehow wound up sitting on top of them. If anything symbolized this game, that picture does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom