The Boneyard is pissier than usual | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Boneyard is pissier than usual

Suarez is a great player. And overrated as a "dirt bag" depending on who you believe.

He's a bit mental but certainly gets treated a bit differently by the English media than John Terry, Jermaine Defoe, Bale etc. that have committed the same types of offenses.

He's a bit mental but certainly gets treated a bit differently by the English media than John Terry, Jermaine Defoe, Bale etc. that have committed the same types of offenses.

And Suarez' most notable offense is based on the unsubstantiated accusation of a single person with an axe to grind.

And Suarez' most notable offense is based on the unsubstantiated accusation of a single person with an axe to grind.

True and one whose story changed multiple times. Regardless he certainly shouldn't have gotten twice the punishment of John Terry who was caught on video.

True and one whose story changed multiple times. Regardless he certainly shouldn't have gotten twice the punishment of John Terry who was caught on video.

LFC cannot afford to lose Suarez. No good team --- and LFC is a good team --- depends on a single player more.

speaking of futbol.. what a first 45 minutes last night !

Both that half and the Brazil vs. Uruguay before it were masterpieces.

The USA is decades away from that level. If ever.

i think we are closer than you give them credit for.. the play between dempsey and jozy has been world class of late- we arent there but the distance is not what it once was. The attacking style of play is serving teams well now - we just need to be better in the back. I am realistic in that another round of 16 would be great but a quarterfinal appearance is not out of the question.

I guess you haven't been paying attention.
SU's men's soccer team made it to the 3rd round of the NCAA tournament this past season.

Yeah confused soccer and baseball. So what does SU soccer need to do to get it's on board?!

LFC cannot afford to lose Suarez. No good team --- and LFC is a good team --- depends on a single player more.

LFC played 4 games without him at year end and went 10 points to end the year, scored 10 conceded 1 :noidea: Don't get me wrong I'd love to keep him but I'm not in the camp that thinks the world ends if he moves on. He can be brilliant at times but also shoots a lot and has moments where his first or final touch let him down badly. If someone wants to spend big on him, I'm more than ok with it.

I'm a Sturridge fan and have been since before I wanted him as part as the Torres transfer and he and Coutinho work better together than anyone has with Suarez.

this afternoon. It appears that ESPN has dropped the Big East from the college football blog list and has decided not to create an AAC blog. Can you say "Mid Major?" Once again, it only makes me grateful we dodged that bullet.

That's pretty telling. I'm actually somewhat surprised since ESPN does have the media rights to the AAC. And what's up with Stanford having their own football blog? Notre Dame I can understand, but Stanford?

i think we are closer than you give them credit for.. the play between dempsey and jozy has been world class of late- we arent there but the distance is not what it once was. The attacking style of play is serving teams well now - we just need to be better in the back. I am realistic in that another round of 16 would be great but a quarterfinal appearance is not out of the question.

The gap between the 16th best team and the best teams is huge. And Brazil and Uruguay are at the top of the pyramid. It would take 20 years for the US to get there. Soccer is a third tier sport in the US. The best athletes play football, basketball and baseball.

Suarez is a great player. And overrated as a "dirt bag" depending on who you believe.

I called Suarez a douchebag mostly because he looks like one. Ronaldo is a douchebag too but doesn't look like one.

2rxv1nq.jpg

in the end we probably will never be at the level, but i'll tell you this when it matters the most every 4 years...anyone can beat anyone... if USMNT key players are healthy next WC could be exciting...

The gap between the 16th best team and the best teams is huge. And Brazil and Uruguay are at the top of the pyramid. It would take 20 years for the US to get there. Soccer is a third tier sport in the US. The best athletes play football, basketball and baseball.

I respectfully disagree. Also look at Paraguay in the last world cup. Soccer is not all athleticism. Its a factor for sure - but one of many. I disagree with the notion that if Kobe/Lebron played soccer their whole lives they would dominate. The thing missing from this country regarding soccer is that it's not a sport you pickup 20 guys or even 10 guys and go set up the pug goals and have at it. This is slowly changing though. It is gaining exposure as well as popularity. Bringing the EPL to NBC next season will only help more.

Go to Europe/South America/ Africa etc and you will find kids playing pickup futbol. In the U.S. not so much. Often times the deft touch and skills that are picked up and crafted happen in informal settings. Those chemistry building characteristics are no different than the ability to get a good game of hoops really anywhere- even in podunk USA.

Additionally we are turning into a more contemporary society with more concern over the physicality of some sports. Soccer is slowly becoming the sport of choice among many youths .. at least to start with. It has a ways to go to gain more popularity but the advantage of being such a large country with a huge support base for athletics means we have the benefit of a larger pool of athletes to take up soccer. Who is to say some of the USMNT aren't some of the best athletes in the country?

Watching way too much soccer the past decade - these past couple of years, more so than any other time recently there is more parity. The gap is smaller. There is still a gap for sure but I think you are over playing it - respectfully.

It's got nothing to do with the best athletes playing other sports. It's got everything to do with 10 year olds in Brazil that are more skilled than a majority of high school kids in the US. As soon as they can kick a ball they are playing everyday. My 15 month old can almost dribble already from watching games with me (sort of) and from seeing his older brother.

I respectfully disagree. Also look at Paraguay in the last world cup. Soccer is not all athleticism. Its a factor for sure - but one of many. I disagree with the notion that if Kobe/Lebron played soccer their whole lives they would dominate. The thing missing from this country regarding soccer is that it's not a sport you pickup 20 guys or even 10 guys and go set up the pug goals and have at it. This is slowly changing though. It is gaining exposure as well as popularity. Bringing the EPL to NBC next season will only help more.

Go to Europe/South America/ Africa etc and you will find kids playing pickup futbol. In the U.S. not so much. Often times the deft touch and skills that are picked up and crafted happen in informal settings. Those chemistry building characteristics are no different than the ability to get a good game of hoops really anywhere- even in podunk USA.

Additionally we are turning into a more contemporary society with more concern over the physicality of some sports. Soccer is slowly becoming the sport of choice among many youths .. at least to start with. It has a ways to go to gain more popularity but the advantage of being such a large country with a huge support base for athletics means we have the benefit of a larger pool of athletes to take up soccer. Who is to say some of the USMNT aren't some of the best athletes in the country?

Watching way too much soccer the past decade - these past couple of years, more so than any other time recently there is more parity. The gap is smaller. There is still a gap for sure but I think you are over playing it - respectfully.

I have watched kids playing soccer all over Europe ... on fields and in streets and plazas.

On the lawn in front of Les Invalides in Paris, I watched what appeared to be a pick-up game of college age guys going at it for a couple of hours. The ball skills and passing were unbelievable.

It was roughly equivalent to watching a playground basketball game in Harlem. And that really is an equivalent situation. Skills hones by thousands of days spent dribbling, passing and shooting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom