The Boneyard is pissier than usual | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

The Boneyard is pissier than usual

Adebayor is out of there. He had a terrible season and barely played. AVB will show him the door. Dempsey doesn't really fit AVB's style - he's more like a Rafael Vander Vart, whom AVB showed the exit to too quickly, IMO. They needed his scoring punch and close passing last season from midfield. And of course they haven't signed Villa yet. Altidore is a hold-up center, though, not a runner. He doesn't fit Spurs as well as he'd fit some other clubs.
I'd sell Defoe before Ade. He fits the system (4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3) far better as he holds up play and is an aerial threat. Ade didn't have a preseason last year, was injured most of the season, and then started showing his quality at the end of the year. I'd rather see him stay.

Van Der Vaart left because AVB didn't give him a starting spot. Deuce was played out of position last year and also didn't have a preseason. However with Sigurdsson and Holtby both being 23 and CAMs I think Clint will have to be ok with being an impact sub or move on.

Villa's essentially done like Paulinho and Spurs will announce them soon.

Typical Takoma Park vegan drives a Prius Townie... ;)

I can only be baited into sputtering indignation once with the same trick. My ability to learn from experience has only diminished slightly.

And that's "nuclear free" Takoma Park and Russian ICBMs should take note of that.

He should stick with AZ for another season in my opinion. He's still very young and stability is the best way for him to continue his scoring habits and get an offer with a bigger club.

He's unlikely to net more than 31 goals for them next season. Now is the time for his club to sell him and turn a profit.

I recognize this is wild overstatement, but the classic case of poor judgement in handling an opponent that's down is the treatment afforded Germany after WWI by England and France. They got some of their reparations but then they got Panzer Divisions and "The Blitz".

This isn't about Karma. There's no reason what so ever to give a future opponent --- however unlikely that may be --- any additional incentive to kick your ass. Our preferred position ought to be as close to underrated and invisible as we can get.

Throwing gas on a fire is almost always a bad idea. Unless you have a very specific motive ... like John Thompson's comments about "a kiss goodbye" which was a thinly veiled attempt to see if he could bait the SU fan base into demanding that SU continue to schedule Georgetown into the future. Unlike his famous comment about the status of Manley Field House, this one appears to have been a dud.

Only because we beat them at MSG, and then won the regionals on their home floor. Thompson wanted to get in one last dig at JB. JB was not amused. I doubt we ever play them again, at least as long as JB is the coach.

LOL if I have to hear the "Spurs don't have their own scouts" line again I'll lose it. Thank god our scouts didn't recommend Andy Carroll, Jonjo Shelvey, Jordan Henderson, Stewart Downing, and Joe Allen... :D

You can blame Kenny Dalglish for wanting to sign any half-respectable English player to fill out the Liverpool roster when he was reinstated. He might have been a great striker, and a successful coach back when the EPL was all English players. But Kenny had no idea how to value and purchase talent in a league that is now the most "international" of them all.

I think it's funny at this point. It's all media fabrication anyway but anytime we're linked to a player Spurs supposedly show up as well. The funny thing is 3/4 of the players the media link LFC to aren't even remotely possible that Rodgers would want. IF suarez stays I think we need a CB and CDM and we're set. I rate Wanyama from Celtic to spell Lucas but not even sure we're after him despite the links.

Carroll was out for net loss of 17.5 mil which hurts but means we only gained 32.5 mil for the sale of Torres which isn't terrible. That was a bad spot all along and once Kenny was gone it was obvious arroll had no place given the style Rodgers employs. Think he could still come good for West Ham but was never worth 35 mil. Shelvey may be on his way out to Swans after bringing in the new guys. I still think Henderson can come good as he improved last term and just turned 23 years old. Villa fleeced us on Downing at that price but he's at least serviceable if he doesn't move on. Allen doesn't really have a proper position with the other players we have but was also injured last year so could still prove a decent squad player and he's still just 23 years old.

End game, I like that we are adding younger guys and trying to build a squad ala Arsenal vs trying to buy up everyone ala City, PSG, etc.

Here's a neat site if you're interested:
http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/fc-liverpool/kader/verein_31.html

http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/tottenham-hotspur/kader/verein_148.html

I think if Rodgers gets rid of Shelvy, he's making a mistake. You need some strength in your midfield in the Premier League. It can't be all tika-taka passers. You need some bite and some steel.

I think if Rodgers gets rid of Shelvy, he's making a mistake. You need some strength in your midfield in the Premier League. It can't be all tika-taka passers. You need some bite and some steel.

I like Shelvey and have hoped he would come good but he just doesn't appear to have "it" as an attacking mid. He's too careless with the ball and too indecisive at least in the chances I've seen. Unless he dropped into a deeper holding spot, currently held by Gerrard and likely Henderson after him, I really don't see a place for him. He won't start ahead of Coutinho who has been absolutely brilliant to watch since we signed him and now has Alberto behind him. Perhaps a loan would do him well for some extneded playing time at the very least.

Agree on the need for steel and that's where the CDM comes in. Lucas does well for us back there but is still a health concern which is why I rate Wanyama who is a beast at the back. Same thing Macherano did for us prior to exiting. The reason we almost won the league a few years back wasn't all Fernando Torres, it was Mascherano keeping opposition in check and Alonso pulling strings from deep.

Giving another World Cup to the USA means taking it away from somewhere else that really is crazy about the sport.

I am one that doesn't think the US is entitled to dominate everything. Let the rest of the world have something.

We weren't all that worried about the growth of basketball in the rest of the world when we decided to squash International competition in that sport with the NBA freaks of nature (A.K.A "The Dream Team"..)

I love the US. But there are things we do --- that we are compelled to do by our nature --- that aren't very attractive ... at least to me.

We are hard workers and are highly competitive ... but there are times when we need to give it a rest.

I spend a lot of time in Europe. Frequently, I am taken aback by the behavior there of one of my fellow Americans. We really don't know how to behave ourselves in the World. Of course, that's not all of us or even most of us.

And we aren't the only ones. The Russians are worse. And the Germans outside of Germany are just as bad as we are.
No, dominate.
We really need to dominate in soccer. Let's just call it football for now. :)
Seriously, we can win this if we learn to play possession when winning.
When losing, we can just say F Brazil.
Or Spain. :eek:

No, dominate.
We really need to dominate in soccer. Let's just call it football for now. :)
Seriously, we can win this if we learn to play possession when winning.
When losing, we can just say F Brazil.
Or Spain. :eek:

I watch a lot of youth soccer in SoCal, and the US kids (up until about age 12), can (and do) compete with and beat just about anybody. If they ranked countries based on 12 year olds, we'd probably be top 3.

http://blog.3four3.com/2013/05/10/fc-barcelona-youth-academy-video/

If you want to cover the bleeding edge of youth soccer development in the US - follow the blog linked above.
So, what happens at age 12? In Europe and S. America (and Mexico) the kids that differentiate themselves at that age are essentially taken out of the home and put into soccer academies. The guys who write the blog above produced a kid named Ben Lederman - who is now in Barcelona (Spain) training in the same academy Messi did.

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/calling-america-s-next-top-soccer-player

Since this kid made the plunge - there have been 5-6 other SoCal kids jumping into foreign academies - in Mexico, Brazil and Europe. In the US, culturally, we just aren't willing to part with our kids at such a young age and devote them to entirely to soccer the way they do in other parts of the world. Parents are just not willing to concede soccer apprenticeship for our kids at that age - and this is where the real differentiation kicks in. All the cultural stuff about the kids playing on the streets - etc. is a factor, but most of it is just BS. Soccer in this country is very structured, the way basketball in Europe is very structured. In both cases the 'street' produces more and better players (in the US for basketball and in Europe/S.America in soccer) but it is not the only path. The foreign clubs are already starting to pour money into SoCal development academies. Most big clubs here now have at least 1 team at every age group where the kids don't pay a dime. Things have changed very rapidly from the ground up in the past 5 years. The creation of the US Soccer Dev. Academy for boys has also helped.

The good news is - there will be a huge crop of US born kids coming through the ranks who have been in foreign academies or even domestic ones during the most important ages 12-17. Kids like Ben Lederman may be training for/with Barcelona - but he is an American. Soccer is immensely popular in SoCal for obvious reasons - and this area is primed to produce huge talent for the next decade. IMO, the US will be a contender for world cups in the future.

US Soccer has its ups and downs, but I think it has turned the corner in terms of being able to compete well internationally. The US beat Spain in the last Confed Cup and lost to Brazil in the final by 1 goal. That same Spain team went on to dominate the world 1 year later. And here we have some bozo telling us all that we'll never be able to compete with those teams? I guess we can't compete with Germany or Mexico either?

Our U20's got bounced in pool play in Turkey in the U20 WC. This will be the last group of U20's that are 'weak' as compared to the world. If you want to see how we will do in the future - you need to look no further than the youth national teams international performances.

And - not that anyone cares, but the US women will continue to dominate the sport for the next 2 decades. The youth infrastructure for US women's soccer goes WAY beyond what any other country does right now.

I watch a lot of youth soccer in SoCal, and the US kids (up until about age 12), can (and do) compete with and beat just about anybody. If they ranked countries based on 12 year olds, we'd probably be top 3.

If you want to cover the bleeding edge of youth soccer development in the US - follow the blog linked above.
So, what happens at age 12? In Europe and S. America (and Mexico) the kids that differentiate themselves at that age are essentially taken out of the home and put into soccer academies. The guys who write the blog above produced a kid named Ben Lederman - who is now in Barcelona (Spain) training in the same academy Messi did.

Since this kid made the plunge - there have been 5-6 other SoCal kids jumping into foreign academies - in Mexico, Brazil and Europe. In the US, culturally, we just aren't willing to part with our kids at such a young age and devote them to entirely to soccer the way they do in other parts of the world. Parents are just not willing to concede soccer apprenticeship for our kids at that age - and this is where the real differentiation kicks in. All the cultural stuff about the kids playing on the streets - etc. is a factor, but most of it is just BS. Soccer in this country is very structured, the way basketball in Europe is very structured. In both cases the 'street' produces more and better players (in the US for basketball and in Europe/S.America in soccer) but it is not the only path. The foreign clubs are already starting to pour money into SoCal development academies. Most big clubs here now have at least 1 team at every age group where the kids don't pay a dime. Things have changed very rapidly from the ground up in the past 5 years. The creation of the US Soccer Dev. Academy for boys has also helped.

The good news is - there will be a huge crop of US born kids coming through the ranks who have been in foreign academies or even domestic ones during the most important ages 12-17. Kids like Ben Lederman may be training for/with Barcelona - but he is an American. Soccer is immensely popular in SoCal for obvious reasons - and this area is primed to produce huge talent for the next decade. IMO, the US will be a contender for world cups in the future.

US Soccer has its ups and downs, but I think it has turned the corner in terms of being able to compete well internationally. The US beat Spain in the last Confed Cup and lost to Brazil in the final by 1 goal. That same Spain team went on to dominate the world 1 year later. And here we have some bozo telling us all that we'll never be able to compete with those teams? I guess we can't compete with Germany or Mexico either?

Our U20's got bounced in pool play in Turkey in the U20 WC. This will be the last group of U20's that are 'weak' as compared to the world. If you want to see how we will do in the future - you need to look no further than the youth national teams international performances.

And - not that anyone cares, but the US women will continue to dominate the sport for the next 2 decades. The youth infrastructure for US women's soccer goes WAY beyond what any other country does right now.
I agree with you. In fact, it brings me to my point. We retain possession in that first half against Brazil, we would have won that match. We can win is my point.

Only because we beat them at MSG, and then won the regionals on their home floor. Thompson wanted to get in one last dig at JB. JB was not amused. I doubt we ever play them again, at least as long as JB is the coach.

Beating Georgetown in the last SU - GU BIG EAST game ever was amazing, and doing it on the way to a BIG EAST championship game was fitting. However, cutting down nets in the Verizon Center to go to the Final Four was priceless. March was a rough month to be a Hoya.

Actually, given SU's new conference affiliation, and the basketball media coverage that our membership entails, the next 50-60 years might be a rough time to be a Hoya. I'll die laughing if SU v. UNC/Duke/UL/VT/UVA/Maryland (next year) gets on the local ABC affiliate in D.C., while Georgetown v. DePaul/Providence/Seton Hall/Saint John's gets to chill on Fox who-knows-what. The thought of GU being on an obscure network startup, while Syracuse is on network would be epic. I really, really hope that the ACC scheduling office has a sense of humor.

EDIT: The same goes for when UCONN plays Tulane/ECU/SMU/Tulsa/Houston/USF/UCF while we're playing BC. If BC can get their act together and get a strong Mass draw, and SU keeps steamrolling and has a strong NY draw, we might be able to drowned out Connecticut...in Connecticut when they play weak teams.

A large part of the issue is the emphasis on winning rather than the emphasis on developing players. Since everything's about winning here a coach might not care if he has one kid make a run past 6 guys and score, when it would be better if they took 6 passes before scoring. We need to start getting to that point where the emphasis is on technical skill.

If a country like Croatia can build a team capable of competing for a World Cup, so can the US. What Croatia has done in the past few years has been very interesting. Mandukic, Modric, Vucinic, and now Halilovic (a 16 year old who has already been capped internationally and has champions league experience for Dinamo) are propelling that team to a golden age. Same with Belgium, who's a bit further along in that regard. The US has the talent pool, they need to take that next step.

A large part of the issue is the emphasis on winning rather than the emphasis on developing players. Since everything's about winning here a coach might not care if he has one kid make a run past 6 guys and score, when it would be better if they took 6 passes before scoring. We need to start getting to that point where the emphasis is on technical skill.

If a country like Croatia can build a team capable of competing for a World Cup, so can the US. What Croatia has done in the past few years has been very interesting. Mandukic, Modric, Vucinic, and now Halilovic (a 16 year old who has already been capped internationally and has champions league experience for Dinamo) are propelling that team to a golden age. Same with Belgium, who's a bit further along in that regard. The US has the talent pool, they need to take that next step.

Belgium should do very well in the next World Cup. I'm very happy that Chelsea has such a strong Belgium contingent in the squad. These guys could be bought for good value a couple years ago - now their value has skyrocketed. (Lukaku, Courtois, DeBruyne, even Hazard)

Belgium should do very well in the next World Cup. I'm very happy that Chelsea has such a strong Belgium contingent in the squad. These guys could be bought for good value a couple years ago - now their value has skyrocketed. (Lukaku, Courtois, DeBruyne, even Hazard)
f chelsea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom