The Boneyard is pissier than usual | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Boneyard is pissier than usual

I have watched kids playing soccer all over Europe ... on fields and in streets and plazas.

On the lawn in front of L'Invalides in Paris, I watched what appeared to be a pick-up game of college age guys going at it for a couple of hours. The ball skills and passing were unbelievable.

It was roughly equivalent to watching a playground basketball game in Harlem. And that really is an equivalent situation. Skills hones by thousands of days spent dribbling, passing and shooting.

That also probably sums up why the US may never catch up to the rest of the world when it comes to soccer. So many young players treat it as more of a hobby that they play in the offseason of their other sports, or it's viewed as more of an "intro to team sports" for little kids before the branch out into other things. It's just not ingrained in the culture here like it is almost everywhere else. Not many people just go out and play pickup soccer most places in the states.

That also probably sums up why the US may never catch up to the rest of the world when it comes to soccer. So many young players treat it as more of a hobby that they play in the offseason of their other sports, or it's viewed as more of an "intro to team sports" for little kids before the branch out into other things. It's just not ingrained in the culture here like it is almost everywhere else. Not many people just go out and play pickup soccer most places in the states.

slowly but surely the diversity in this country is helping the cause along with adoption of the sport by more kids every year. In addition the better each generation gets , the more they pass on. It also helps in the formal setting as coaches are better- i can remember my youth coaches didnt even understand the concept of playing it wide when we would have traveling camps sponsored by english and spanish professionals...

Uconn is a former rival who loved to claim how they made and especially how they carried the Big East for so many years, so it is only fitting that they continue to carry on that conference for the foreseeable future. (Even though the Big East started with Syracuse and ended when we left)

What?!? The BE was made before Yukon sniffed success in basketball. And football? Fagetaboutit. They were a non-factor. By the time they got around to trying to play big boy football, no one cared about the BE.

He's a bit mental but certainly gets treated a bit differently by the English media than John Terry, Jermaine Defoe, Bale etc. that have committed the same types of offenses.
You're kidding on bale, right? The English media berated him over one offense and then he had 4 penalties not called this season because the ref wanted to make a statement and book him on legitimate fouls. Defoe pisses me off though. Hope he's moved on once we sign David Villa

You're kidding on bale, right? The English media berated him over one offense and then he had 4 penalties not called this season because the ref wanted to make a statement and book him on legitimate fouls. Defoe pisses me off though. Hope he's moved on once we sign David Villa

In terms of diving Suarez and Bale have both dove their way out of a lot of legitimate calls at this point. I saw Bale mentioned in some articles but not quite the same level as Suarez.

do you guys think villa will do well in the epl? personally at 31 and not being a physical player - i could see him struggling and not helping spurs that much..

do you guys think villa will do well in the epl? personally at 31 and not being a physical player - i could see him struggling and not helping spurs that much..
He's an upgrade on Defoe purely for his runs and movement. It hurt last year that Lennon/Bale/Walker would get in good crossing positions and have no one to send it in to. Also having him potentially on the left with Adebayor (with a full preseason under his belt) would help Ade a lot too.

I think the fact that this thread turned into a soccer conversation is about the maximum amount of grace that we're capable of.

And I'm completely fine with that.

One cannot acquire grace.

After growing up in the era in which no one spiked the ball after scoring, broke into any ridiculous dances or "woofed" at the opponent across the line of scrimmage, its strange to see posts from people exalting in the current woes of UConn.

It's at a minimum, pointless. UConn is no longer even an opponent. They are irrelevant to SU. It's certainly bad form. And it also may be dumb because one never knows what the future holds.

It's at a minimum, pointless. UConn is no longer even an opponent. They are irrelevant to SU. It's certainly bad form. And it also may be dumb because one never knows what the future holds.

Pointless, I agree.

But as to dumb, if people were worried about acting dumb, or looking dumb, they wouldn't post here at all. This place would be quieter than the R!vals Premium Board. If that's possible.

And if it's a karma thing, well I'm not into that kind of stuff, but I know many are.

Pointless, I agree.

But as to dumb, if people were worried about acting dumb, or looking dumb, they wouldn't post here at all. This place would be quieter than the R!vals Premium Board. If that's possible.

And if it's a karma thing, well I'm not into that kind of stuff, but I know many are.

I recognize this is wild overstatement, but the classic case of poor judgement in handling an opponent that's down is the treatment afforded Germany after WWI by England and France. They got some of their reparations but then they got Panzer Divisions and "The Blitz".

This isn't about Karma. There's no reason what so ever to give a future opponent --- however unlikely that may be --- any additional incentive to kick your ass. Our preferred position ought to be as close to underrated and invisible as we can get.

Throwing gas on a fire is almost always a bad idea. Unless you have a very specific motive ... like John Thompson's comments about "a kiss goodbye" which was a thinly veiled attempt to see if he could bait the SU fan base into demanding that SU continue to schedule Georgetown into the future. Unlike his famous comment about the status of Manley Field House, this one appears to have been a dud.

I recognize this is wild overstatement, but the classic case of poor judgement in handling an opponent that's down is the treatment afforded Germany after WWI by England and France. They got some of their reparations but then they got Panzer Divisions and "The Blitz".

This isn't about Karma. There's no reason what so ever to give a future opponent --- however unlikely that may be --- any additional incentive to kick your ass. Our preferred position ought to be as close to underrated and invisible as we can get.

Throwing gas on a fire is almost always a bad idea. Unless you have a very specific motive ... like John Thompson's comments about "a kiss goodbye" which was a thinly veiled attempt to see if he could bait the SU fan base into demanding that SU continue to schedule Georgetown into the future. Unlike his famous comment about the status of Manley Field House, this one appears to have been a dud.

We also made it a dud when we beat them in the Big East Tournament one week later.

I'm not really a big fan of piling on a school like UConn. But they do have some troll fans, who I can't help but feel great for, and I know they keep reading this. That's really my only motivation, and I'd say I'm pretty hands off compared to some here. Having said that, I'd rather move on and only have future dialogue with the schools that matter to us. We have bigger fish to fry. And it won't stop feeling good.

After growing up in the era in which no one spiked the ball after scoring, broke into any ridiculous dances or "woofed" at the opponent across the line of scrimmage, its strange to see posts from people exalting in the current woes of UConn.

So you choose to comport yourself in the manner to which you're accustomed...which means you don't take shots at an opponent. This is however a fan board and others that post here don't fall where your sensibilities lie. What I find strange is your pointing to what another poster finds relevant as pointless. I did not know you were the king of the interwebs. I guess you find out something new everyday. Oh...and !

Villa will do well I didn't like his move to Madrid after the 2010 World Cup. All he did for Spain was score goals and they don't win the 2010 World Cup without Villa in my opinion. Del Bosque has phased him out of the starting XI for Spain. I think Villa can help the Spurs who need a break in making the CL. I feel for Dempsey moving to the Spurs to play in the CL and still getting the Europa again. I like that the Europa champ gets an auto CL bid now. I want Americans other than Jermaine "I MUST GET A YELLOW card" Jones to play CL matches.

John Thompson's comments about "a kiss goodbye" which was a thinly veiled attempt to see if he could bait the SU fan base into demanding that SU continue to schedule Georgetown into the future. Unlike his famous comment about the status of Manley Field House, this one appears to have been a dud.
We also made it a dud when we beat them in the Big East Tournament one week later.

Not to mention, cutting down the nets on their court on our way to the FF.

Villa will do well I didn't like his move to Madrid after the 2010 World Cup. All he did for Spain was score goals and they don't win the 2010 World Cup without Villa in my opinion. Del Bosque has phased him out of the starting XI for Spain. I think Villa can help the Spurs who need a break in making the CL. I feel for Dempsey moving to the Spurs to play in the CL and still getting the Europa again. I like that the Europa champ gets an auto CL bid now. I want Americans other than Jermaine "I MUST GET A YELLOW card" Jones to play CL matches.

interesting - im a gunners fan but do try to follow and root for americans playing on other sides. Dempsey and villa could be a nice combo for the spurs the more i think about it. As for the cl didn't edu have a run for rangers a couple years back? either way having americans playing for a team that can get past the group stages who arent jj would be great!

So you choose to comport yourself in the manner to which you're accustomed...which means you don't take shots at an opponent. This is however a fan board and others that post here don't fall where your sensibilities lie. What I find strange is your pointing to what another poster finds relevant as pointless. I did not know you were the king of the interwebs. I guess you find out something new everyday. Oh...and !

No, No, No.

I love taking potshots at opponents. Potshots? Heck with that. I'm for thermonuclear war. There aren't many that have labored more to ridicule Rutgers than I. Same with Georgetown and Virginia Tech and West Virginia when they were actual opponents.

But when an opponent is irrelevant or down, the fun --- at least for me --- goes out of it.

I'd hate to see this conversation reduced to chest thumping for the benefit of our new ACC opponents and pissing on the ashes of UConn.

Cheap fun and cheap shots, I'd say.

interesting - im a gunners fan but do try to follow and root for americans playing on other sides. Dempsey and villa could be a nice combo for the spurs the more i think about it. As for the cl didn't edu have a run for rangers a couple years back? either way having americans playing for a team that can get past the group stages who arent jj would be great!

Eyes in the EPL are on Jozy once again. Stay tuned there as well. I wouldn't mind him as a squad player at pool and he could prove too good to bench as the light may have finally went on for him.

He's a bit past it in age as far as strikers go but seems to have a fair amount left in the tank. If Bale stays I think he'll be good for around 12-15 goals and his presence up top could open up the midfield a bit which is the strength of Spurs squad.

Eyes in the EPL are on Jozy once again. Stay tuned there as well. I wouldn't mind him as a squad player at pool and he could prove too good to bench as the light may have finally went on for him.

i thought i heard sunderland was snooping around jozy.. would much rather he go to a team higher up the ladder.. lpool maybe- if he has a really good world cup run maybe more epl heads will turn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom