The Boneyard is pissier than usual | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The Boneyard is pissier than usual

Hey man, your cool with me I just thought that the two previous UConn threads were a tad overkill. I am not the end all I just think we need cut them a little slack. That board has a lot of crazies over there and has people who despise us more and throw a lot crap at us.
I see UConn as a former riv@l now and we won't be playing them in regular season contests anymore. I used to have a respectful hatred of them, and your right it could be us so they deserve the crap they get over here, but I would say they deserve a little leash on being demoted and being angry about it That's all I wasn't addressing you just the UConn issue.

UConn has some great fans, starting with Tom and Fishy. I, too, am glad we avoided their fate, and am a little stunned that they are still on an island, all by themselves.

I have been among the worst at saying negative things about UConn on The Boneyard in connection to the split. I have enjoyed many debates on their board over the last 10+ years, but I have turned into a bit of a douchebag toward them with some of my posts over there in the last 6 months or so. I regret that, because they are good folks - even if it chafed me that they thought their young football program would just automatically copy the success of their men's and women's hoops programs, just because. They had no respect or understanding of how important tradition is in college football.

But the bottom line is that we do benefit from UConn and Rutgers having their football programs go down the toilet. The last time we were a regional power in football, those 2 schools were practically non-existent. No offense to their fans, but it is in our interest for them both to wither and die as a program.

i thought i heard sunderland was snooping around jozy.. would much rather he go to a team higher up the ladder.. lpool maybe- if he has a really good world cup run maybe more epl heads will turn.

I think the sticking point with bigger clubs is the lack of production in his first stint in the EPL. That being said, he was 19 years old at the time, and at 23 has appeared to learn what it takes to be a proper professional.

Both that half and the Brazil vs. Uruguay before it were masterpieces.

The USA is decades away from that level. If ever.

I think we need to host another World Cup. That would give US soccer a huge boost. Interest in international football and European club football is really increasing in the states. We don't play the beautiful game like they do, but we have resolve and athleticism and a rising level of skill and depth in our squad. We have to develop the qualities we have, rather than try to be a team who we are not.

ok not to hijack.. the hijacked thread but is anyone put off by the messi and friends thing? just seems disrespectful to american soccer- everybody go see the amazing messi and his buddies play around vs other top world players since we only see crappy futbol in this country.. i get that it is entertainment but friendlies between mls and euro clubs at least make it more legit.. just my two cents

I think the sticking point with bigger clubs is the lack of production in his first stint in the EPL. That being said, he was 19 years old at the time, and at 23 has appeared to learn what it takes to be a proper professional.
Jozy needs to play with the 1st team wherever he goes. I don't care if its the Dutch League, BPL, La Liga, Serie, Bundeesliga. I think he can play for a good team, but he hasn't commanded a starting spot for a contending CL team yet. Being only 23 helps him as he still can get there. I don't want him in BPL if he is going to be stuck on a team like Hull City again. I would only want him playing for a middle to contending CL table team in the BPL like an Everton and start for them if he wants to play BPL soccer.

This is an epic battle to see which topic wins control of this thread...first the original topic was in charge, then soccer crept in and slowly started to undermine the original topics foundations...then BOOM, soccer exploded and took over...but the war wasn't finished as the original topic has started to make a comeback, although soccer is standing strong maintaining it's grip over the thread...

Who will win? Stay tuned as this epic battle between topics continues!!!

ok not to hijack.. the hijacked thread but is anyone put off by the messi and friends thing? just seems disrespectful to american soccer- everybody go see the amazing messi and his buddies play around vs other top world players since we only see crappy futbol in this country.. i get that it is entertainment but friendlies between mls and euro clubs at least make it more legit.. just my two cents

MLS has made major strides in the past few years. It used to be terrible, but now the influx of players from Central America has really improved the quality of play. MLS teams are now truly like AAA instead of AA football. More skill on the ball, generally speaking, than a few years ago. You also see more MLS guys make the transition into the national team successfully. It's not just all European based players anymore.

Jozy needs to play with the 1st team wherever he goes. I don't care if its the Dutch League, BPL, La Liga, Serie, Bundeesliga. I think he can play for a good team, but he hasn't commanded a starting spot for a contending CL team yet. Being only 23 helps him as he still can get there. I don't want him in BPL if he is going to be stuck on a team like Hull City again. I would only want him playing for a middle to contending CL table team in the BPL like an Everton and start for them if he wants to play BPL soccer.

Everton = UConn. No thanks!

The fact that he's 23 makes him prime for Liverpool are building but I haven't seen anything linking and he would be a squad player to start so it wouldn't fit really. Just my home team bias there. Sunderland may be a good fit for him or Swansea but he would be behind Michu there. Actually Spurs would be a great spot for him to learn behind Villa for a bit before being their number 9 but then again my US bias might rate him higher than what he actually is? He has been in impressive form though.

He should stick with AZ for another season in my opinion. He's still very young and stability is the best way for him to continue his scoring habits and get an offer with a bigger club.

I think we need to host another World Cup. That would give US soccer a huge boost. Interest in international football and European club football is really increasing in the states. We don't play the beautiful game like they do, but we have resolve and athleticism and a rising level of skill and depth in our squad. We have to develop the qualities we have, rather than try to be a team who we are not.

Giving another World Cup to the USA means taking it away from somewhere else that really is crazy about the sport.

I am one that doesn't think the US is entitled to dominate everything. Let the rest of the world have something.

We weren't all that worried about the growth of basketball in the rest of the world when we decided to squash International competition in that sport with the NBA freaks of nature (A.K.A "The Dream Team"..)

I love the US. But there are things we do --- that we are compelled to do by our nature --- that aren't very attractive ... at least to me.

We are hard workers and are highly competitive ... but there are times when we need to give it a rest.

I spend a lot of time in Europe. Frequently, I am taken aback by the behavior there of one of my fellow Americans. We really don't know how to behave ourselves in the World. Of course, that's not all of us or even most of us.

And we aren't the only ones. The Russians are worse. And the Germans outside of Germany are just as bad as we are.

Uhh...could there be a sub-topic breakaway here from soccer??? Hmmmm...this is exciting...Especially with a little original topic leak into soccer as evidenced by IO's Everton = UConn reference...

The fact that he's 23 makes him prime for Liverpool are building but I haven't seen anything linking and he would be a squad player to start so it wouldn't fit really. Just my home team bias there. Sunderland may be a good fit for him or Swansea but he would be behind Michu there. Actually Spurs would be a great spot for him to learn behind Villa for a bit before being their number 9 but then again my US bias might rate him higher than what he actually is? He has been in impressive form though.

I have no desire to see him at Spurs and don't think we really need another #9 behind Villa, Ade, and Defoe right now. If we sell one I think we need someone young but don't think Jozy is that guy. Not to mention the slack Dempsey gets from all the Spurs fans. Doubt he'd have glowing reviews for Jozy

This is an epic battle to see which topic wins control of this thread...first the original topic was in charge, then soccer crept in and slowly started to undermine the original topics foundations...then BOOM, soccer exploded and took over...but the war wasn't finished as the original topic has started to make a comeback, although soccer is standing strong maintaining it's grip over the thread...

Who will win? Stay tuned as this epic battle between topics continues!!!

My last post brought it full circle for you.

The US fans can watch the MLS teams play anytime they want ... and not a lot of people do so. The DC United game crowds are 90% Central and South Americans. The INS would have a field day.

Who wouldn't rather watch Chelsea vs. AC Milan?

I spend a lot of time in Europe. Frequently, I am taken aback by the behavior there of one of my fellow Americans. We really don't know how to behave ourselves in the World. Of course, that's not all of us or even most of us.

And we aren't the only ones. The Russians are worse. And the Germans outside of Germany are just as bad as we are.
"Loud and proud" as we'd say about (some) USians in Europe.

Some college hoops fans have similar feelings about visiting Syracuse fans.

I have no desire to see him at Spurs and don't think we really need another #9 behind Villa, Ade, and Defoe right now. If we sell one I think we need someone young but don't think Jozy is that guy. Not to mention the slack Dempsey gets from all the Spurs fans. Doubt he'd have glowing reviews for Jozy

I love Dempsey but he is a different type of player. He's a workhorse that will score a lot of hustle goals but won't ever be confused for an overwhelmingly fluid player. Suppose the same could be said of Jozy but seems his skill level is finally catching up to his physical ability which makes him intriguing at least. Villa and Abebayor won't have a ton of years left and as they transition out they would do well to have younger guys coming in behind them instead of constantly scanning the transfer market for whoever Liverpool are after at the moment. ;)

As Bnoro said he should stay with AZ in the Netherlands again and continue scoring goals like he did this past year. This being a World Cup year will allow Jozy to showcase himself in Brazil as a 24 yr old and move then. I suggested Everton because they aren't a relegation team, but they aren't a top 6 team either they are UConn as you described aptly. If FSG/Liverpool would start Jozy with Suarez that would be perfect but Liverpool won't start him so he needs to play where he can start and improve.

As Bnoro said he should stay with AZ in the Netherlands again and continue scoring goals like he did this past year. This being a World Cup year will allow Jozy to showcase himself in Brazil as a 24 yr old and move then. I suggested Everton because they aren't a relegation team, but they aren't a top 6 team either they are UConn as you described aptly. If FSG/Liverpool would start Jozy with Suarez that would be perfect but Liverpool won't start him so he needs to play where he can start and improve.

He would not start over Sturridge so unless Suarez left it'd be a non flyer. It's just a pipe dream anyway as we have Borini, and now Aspas as younger strikers waiting in the wings as well. You're right though, it's important that he is playing every week in a world cup year.

Also, F Everton.

I love Dempsey but he is a different type of player. He's a workhorse that will score a lot of hustle goals but won't ever be confused for an overwhelmingly fluid player. Suppose the same could be said of Jozy but seems his skill level is finally catching up to his physical ability which makes him intriguing at least. Villa and Abebayor won't have a ton of years left and as they transition out they would do well to have younger guys coming in behind them instead of constantly scanning the transfer market for whoever Liverpool are after at the moment. ;)
LOL if I have to hear the "Spurs don't have their own scouts" line again I'll lose it. Thank god our scouts didn't recommend Andy Carroll, Jonjo Shelvey, Jordan Henderson, Stewart Downing, and Joe Allen... :D

LOL if I have to hear the "Spurs don't have their own scouts" line again I'll lose it. Thank god our scouts didn't recommend Andy Carroll, Jonjo Shelvey, Jordan Henderson, Stewart Downing, and Joe Allen... :D

T-Rex Arms loves him some Jonjo... why, I have no idea...

He would not start over Sturridge so unless Suarez left it'd be a non flyer. It's just a pipe dream anyway as we have Borini, and now Aspas as younger strikers waiting in the wings as well. You're right though, it's important that he is playing every week in a world cup year.

Also, F Everton.
This is how Bill Simmons described Everton Everton -- Not only are they Liverpool's biggest rival, but multiple readers compared them to the Oakland A's -- they keep unearthing prized young stars (like Wayne Rooney, the England star who stomped someone in the nuts during the World Cup) and selling them off to one of the big teams. They also have an American keeper (Tim Howard) and one of the most famous celeb fans (Paul McCartney). Here's the catch: I like everything I read/heard about Liverpool (more on this in a bit) and don't want to have them as my rival. Sorry, Everton
http://www.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060719
Here is the article

Everton's going to be an interesting case next season under Martinez. We'll see how good of a manager he really is, and if he can perform better with actual internationals on his team. If they struggle I think he'll get the sack pretty quick.

Giving another World Cup to the USA means taking it away from somewhere else that really is crazy about the sport.

I am one that doesn't think the US is entitled to dominate everything. Let the rest of the world have something.

We weren't all that worried about the growth of basketball in the rest of the world when we decided to squash International competition in that sport with the NBA freaks of nature (A.K.A "The Dream Team"..)

I love the US. But there are things we do --- that we are compelled to do by our nature --- that aren't very attractive ... at least to me.

We are hard workers and are highly competitive ... but there are times when we need to give it a rest.

Love it or leave it you pinko hippie.

:rolling:

Adebayor is out of there. He had a terrible season and barely played. AVB will show him the door. Dempsey doesn't really fit AVB's style - he's more like a Rafael Vander Vart, whom AVB showed the exit to too quickly, IMO. They needed his scoring punch and close passing last season from midfield. And of course they haven't signed Villa yet. Altidore is a hold-up center, though, not a runner. He doesn't fit Spurs as well as he'd fit some other clubs.

I think it's funny at this point. It's all media fabrication anyway but anytime we're linked to a player Spurs supposedly show up as well. The funny thing is 3/4 of the players the media link LFC to aren't even remotely possible that Rodgers would want. IF suarez stays I think we need a CB and CDM and we're set. I rate Wanyama from Celtic to spell Lucas but not even sure we're after him despite the links.

Carroll was out for net loss of 17.5 mil which hurts but means we only gained 32.5 mil for the sale of Torres which isn't terrible. That was a bad spot all along and once Kenny was gone it was obvious arroll had no place given the style Rodgers employs. Think he could still come good for West Ham but was never worth 35 mil. Shelvey may be on his way out to Swans after bringing in the new guys. I still think Henderson can come good as he improved last term and just turned 23 years old. Villa fleeced us on Downing at that price but he's at least serviceable if he doesn't move on. Allen doesn't really have a proper position with the other players we have but was also injured last year so could still prove a decent squad player and he's still just 23 years old.

End game, I like that we are adding younger guys and trying to build a squad ala Arsenal vs trying to buy up everyone ala City, PSG, etc.

Here's a neat site if you're interested:
http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/fc-liverpool/kader/verein_31.html

http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/tottenham-hotspur/kader/verein_148.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors