The Carrier Dome Renaming Thread... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

The Carrier Dome Renaming Thread...

South is full of Yankees.

Not to mention that it's a scenario that's not based in any reality I'm familiar with. Who on earth would stop shopping at Wegman's because their name is on a sports stadium in Syracuse? High prices? Distance? Poor service? All those things are possible reasons why someone might avoid Wegman's. But a sports stadium naming? You'd have to be a complete lunatic to live your life like that.

Not to mention that it's a scenario that's not based in any reality I'm familiar with. Who on earth would stop shopping at Wegman's because their name is on a sports stadium in Syracuse?
This. One of the craziest theories I’ve ever seen in print. That and the court sizes.

The salient point is that SU has stopped calling it the carrier dome. As far as SU is concerned the carrier deal is over.
True. That being said I’d be curious to see if the name stays up on the building. They are doing work right there. Could very easily remove it during construction

True. That being said I’d be curious to see if the name stays up on the building. They are doing work right there. Could very easily remove it during construction
You wouldn't want anything happen to your pretty sign now would ya?

I would think if Disney thought using naming rights would increase their exposure, they would do something with a pro team that is likely to get more consistent national/international coverage than any college team.
Well, I’d prefer the Disney Dome to the Dick’s Sporting Goods Dome (Dick’s Dome for short)...

the Dental Dome sounds like something Rutgers would come up with tho
9B9416D3-E50C-473A-95EA-6FC27D677C24.jpeg

Not to mention that it's a scenario that's not based in any reality I'm familiar with. Who on earth would stop shopping at Wegman's because their name is on a sports stadium in Syracuse? High prices? Distance? Poor service? All those things are possible reasons why someone might avoid Wegman's. But a sports stadium naming? You'd have to be a complete lunatic to live your life like that.
Agreed, but as we all know, lunatics are out there. Before we start thinking of what the new sponsored name might be, let’s see if SU can get out of the “contract” with Carrier concerning the naming rights.

Most naming rights go to global or national companies. If they have a local tie in thats fine. AT&T isnt located in Texas.
Mercedes-Benz is from Germany. The media exposure of the ACCN is the value. If anyone can leverage that its
The Wild One.

Most naming rights go to global or national companies. If they have a local tie in thats fine. AT&T isnt located in Texas.
Mercedes-Benz is from Germany. The media exposure of the ACCN is the value. If anyone can leverage that its
The Wild One.
Mercedes’ US headquarters are in Atlanta, hence the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium makes sense.

And, yes, I was at the first event at the Mercedes-Benz Super Dome (Syracuse at Tulane). ;)

It was built with a naming gift, and now I’m fairly confident that it has a different name.

No, no, they kept the name. Broached it with the family first, and I think the MacNaughtons even gave another gift for the new law building.

I thought you were making a different point, that it's crazy to peel a donor's name off a building. Because that's what it is - very unusual.

This all tells me one of two things:
  1. SU has reached an agreement with Carrier to get out of the "in perpetuity" agreement, or
  2. SU is playing hardball with Carrier by removing any mention of them from their site.
I am also sure, if it is the latter, they are telling all television partners to refer to it as "The Dome" and nothing else.
In my view, option number 2 is completely unprofessional, and strikes me as something that would be completely uncharacteristic of the University.

I'm going with option 1. SU has gotten out of the contract. Nothing has been announced yet. And a new sponsor is yet to come...

The sign would look awesome in my basement...auction that bad boy off.

No, no, they kept the name. Broached it with the family first, and I think the MacNaughtons even gave another gift for the new law building.

I thought you were making a different point, that it's crazy to peel a donor's name off a building. Because that's what it is - very unusual.
Question for the attorneys on the board.

Is there any legal distinction, or judicial precedent, dealing with naming gifts conferred by individuals/families (for which the presumed benefit is personal prestige and recognition), and those conferred by entities that essentially receive business advertising through the gift?

Is there any legal distinction, or judicial precedent, dealing with naming gifts conferred by individuals/families (for which the presumed benefit is personal prestige and recognition), and those conferred by entities that essentially receive business advertising through the gift?

That's an excellent question, it seems like that's a reasonable distinction, but I don't know. I'd like to jump onto Westlaw right now (which would probably result in 3 hours of pretty fun leisure reading), but it's looking like a busy day.

Uh oh, I let myself get sucked in. OK, after this it's back to work for me.

There's some informative language about the gift contract in here (I'd love to see the Carrier gift agreement), but what jumped out at me is the Texas Attorney General's involvement on behalf of the public - that is, this is a third party (a charitable trust) that is deserving of the government going to bat for it in a way that a corporate or an individual wouldn't be.

It's got nothing to do with precedent, but it does show some of the thinking behind how the justice system and our public institutions might treat different types of plaintiff in a similar situation.

Attachments

• 2016-05-04_hofheinz_petition_in_intervention___counterclaims_final.pdf
    208.5 KB · Views: 45

I couldn't find any reference to McNaughton Hall outside of outdated COL links.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom