The Carrier Dome Renaming Thread... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The Carrier Dome Renaming Thread...

I always found it strange the way media participates in the naming rights craze by dutifully referring to any stadium by its commercially sponsored name. It seems like they’re complicit in the naming rights scheme. I just as soon have them call it Giants Stadium as opposed to MetLife Stadium. Similarly to Yankee Stadium-the place where the Yankees play or the Syracuse Dome or simply the Dome if it’s a local outlet.

Corporations can pay all the money they want to name a stadium, I just wish the media wouldn't bother me with referring to it by that name. What does Tropicana Field mean to me. It should just be called the Tampa Field or Rays Field. Same with Minute Maid Park - who plays there?

I recognize that this active ignorance of sponsored names would make naming rights of stadiums practically worthless, however I don’t understand why the media has to follow through by so regularly and completely referring to a stadium by its sponsored name and not as an affiliation with the team in question.

In 20 years of its existence the baseball stadium where the San Francisco Giants play has been called Pacific Bell Park, SBC Park, AT&T Park and now Oracle Park. Really? To me it’s the Giants’ Park, or the Giants’ Stadium - where the Giants play.

Shouldn’t ESPN receive a fee for referring to where the Indianapolis Colts play as Lucas Oil Stadium? It is a kind of free advertisement.

I always found it strange the way media participates in the naming rights craze by dutifully referring to any stadium by its commercially sponsored name. It seems like they’re complicit in the naming rights scheme. I just as soon have them call it Giants Stadium as opposed to MetLife Stadium. Similarly to Yankee Stadium-the place where the Yankees play or the Syracuse Dome or simply the Dome if it’s a local outlet.

Corporations can pay all the money they want to name a stadium, I just wish the media wouldn't bother me with referring to it by that name. What does Tropicana Field mean to me. It should just be called the Tampa Field or Rays Field. Same with Minute Maid Park - who plays there?

I recognize that this active ignorance of sponsored names would make naming rights of stadiums practically worthless, however I don’t understand why the media has to follow through by so regularly and completely referring to a stadium by its sponsored name and not as an affiliation with the team in question.

In 20 years of its existence the baseball stadium where the San Francisco Giants play has been called Pacific Bell Park, SBC Park, AT&T Park and now Oracle Park. Really? To me it’s the Giants’ Park, or the Giants’ Stadium - where the Giants play.

Shouldn’t ESPN receive a fee for referring to where the Indianapolis Colts play as Lucas Oil Stadium? It is a kind of free advertisement.
I think they are probably required to call the arenas by name under their broadcast agreements.

I suspect that SU is pushing for a change from the original naming gift to a naming rights deal. If so, Carrier would be given the first/preferential stab at it. Additionally, “if you provide the AC system it’ll take care of the first x years of the naming rights deal.”

If Carrier doesn’t bite, then ”Syracuse University Dome” it is, until a new corporate sponsor is found,

Let's pony up so it can be called the Syracusefan.com Dome! :cool:;):rolleyes::p:)

I respect the argument you're attempting to make, however, the 'name' of the stadium is the name of the stadium. Therefore, the media isn't really giving them "free' anything other than, again, merely stating the venue. They would be incorrect to their viewers, etc. if the media referred to say, Cleveland Indians stadium as that vs. Jacob's Field or Progressive Field or any other venue you've referenced. And, if you are watching the Yankees in their home unis, the Giant's, Astros, Rays or any other team you've mentioned...or haven't, you pretty darn well know it's where the "Yankees play" or the respective home team.

I would actually be a bit surprised if Wegmans wasn't the one who would want naming rights the most on whatever we call the new Dome if naming rights go up for bid. As Wegmans is expanding more and more west and south I think having naming rights on a Stadium would help with there expansion and growth.

Sufandu if you don’t mind me asking are you an attorney and actually know that blanket statement you made above is accurate or did you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express the other night? :) So I hear ya but the concept of writing “outs”in a contract is kinda what attorneys are paid for aren’t they? So that way their client is you know not stuck in some outdated burdened agreement forever, in perpetuity. Who knows, maybe counsel on the hill called it out and they were told don’t worry about it. Seen that happen a few times. Anyway I am sure the review of anything new will be put through the ringer. It will again be interesting to see what happens with the naming rights story up there.
I am not a lawyer or an expert on this stuff. But to clarify what I was saying, and this is based on what other more knowledgeable posters have said, the naming of the dome after Carrier was based on a donation, the same as other campus buildings such as The Ensley Athletic Center. That would make it different than the more modern naming rights deals we have seen elsewhere the last decade or so. Common sense makes me think, if it were easy to change the name as a way to increase revenue, it would've happened a long time ago.

It seems the reason it wasn't done that way in the first place is that nobody was doing naming rights deals in 1980. Had SU thought of that, they would've been ahead of their time. Or maybe it wouldn't have been possible because SU wasn't a national brand and college sports weren't as financially significant as they are now. At the time, I think people felt fortunate to recieve the gift Carrier gave. It only looks paltry in retrospect.

I am not a lawyer or an expert on this stuff. But to clarify what I was saying, and this is based on what other more knowledgeable posters have said, the naming of the dome after Carrier was based on a donation, the same as other campus buildings such as The Ensley Athletic Center. That would make it different than the more modern naming rights deals we have seen elsewhere the last decade or so. Common sense makes me think, if it were easy to change the name as a way to increase revenue, it would've happened a long time ago.

It seems the reason it wasn't done that way in the first place is that nobody was doing naming rights deals in 1980. Had SU thought of that, they would've been ahead of their time. Or maybe it wouldn't have been possible because SU wasn't a national brand and college sports weren't as financially significant as they are now. At the time, I think people felt fortunate to recieve the gift Carrier gave. It only looks paltry in retrospect.

No doubt. I will also add that in contract disputes, especially ones that are relatively archaic in nature as this appears, that the "intent" or "spirit" of the agreement at the time can be a significant factor in the ultimate legal ruling. As you've mentioned, the underlying intent of Carrier's donation was a "gift" not a "naming rights" agreement. And, certainly outdated, resembling nothing that is prevalent in today's present day climate.

I would actually be a bit surprised if Wegmans wasn't the one who would want naming rights the most on whatever we call the new Dome if naming rights go up for bid. As Wegmans is expanding more and more west and south I think having naming rights on a Stadium would help with there expansion and growth.
I’ve always thought the same.

My guess is that right now Carrier has the right to have their name on the dome but can't tell the university what they have to put into print. This may be a bit of a middle finger to Carrier. Take my opinion with a grain of salt. I am no expert on this stuff.
Hardball negotiating tactic.

Where does Wegman's cook to order?

At the Burger Bar in Dewitt

Considering all of the connections between central New Yorkers, easterners in general, and the Disney Company in one way or another, the Disney Dome could be nice. There are many potential connections that could be made to mutual benefit...I think...

Considering all of the connections between central New Yorkers, easterners in general, and the Disney Company in one way or another, the Disney Dome could be nice. There are many potential connections that could be made to mutual benefit...I think...
Do you really think Disney would see the Dome in Syracuse, NY as good marketing for them?

That is the only place you can find “carrier” anywhere. You cant change a website name overnight that everyone is used to.
They can redirect to a new domain name/URL pretty quick. They'll need to build some backend stuff, like a message, "You have been redirected to a new web name, SyracuseUniversityDome.com, please bookmark and use the new URL in your browsers. My guess that they will not change from CarrierDome.com until the new naming rights are finalized. I kind of like "DicksSportingGoodsDome.com"

At the Burger Bar in Dewitt

Ahhh. Never go to that one.

Was Winifred McNaughton Hall renamed when Falk took over the College of Law complex?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom