The Carrier Dome Renaming Thread... | Syracusefan.com

The Carrier Dome Renaming Thread...

orangepack

Scout Team
Just got my season tickets which came with an information booklet - thought it was quite odd that the Dome was referenced as the Syracuse University Dome on most of the pages. Did they work out a deal with Carrier to rid of their name?

Just got my season tickets which came with an information booklet - thought it was quite odd that the Dome was referenced as the Syracuse University Dome on most of the pages. Did they work out a deal with Carrier to rid of their name?

Your ?/guess would be as good as anyone's here. ;)

First-time season ticket holder. Perusing the official info (tickets just arrived).

Carrier conspicuously absent. Syracuse University Dome. Name trademarked.

Has the Dome been renamed? Hmm.

My guess is that right now Carrier has the right to have their name on the dome but can't tell the university what they have to put into print. This may be a bit of a middle finger to Carrier. Take my opinion with a grain of salt. I am no expert on this stuff.

Sounds odd without the word Carrier mixed in. Good observation by poster. That is likely part of a strategy that is in play up on the hill. It will be interesting to see how that works out.

It would be awhile to change the internet name. People would be lost.
Not disagreeing. Just responding to the fact “carrier” isn’t completely absent. Maybe it’s just how I read the post that carrier was absent.

Edit: fwiw, I personally believe the naming is either going to change (what feels most likely) or these are just bits and pieces to the aim of negotiating a better contract with carrier.

Could be we want Carrier to take us to court, & the merits of that agreement we signed 137 years ago would be up for renegotiation. By anyone's standards, that contract should be obsolete- a lifetime deal for $25 million is obscene in today's market. In any case, let them sue us and get it in front of an arbitrator- I like our chances in that scenario.

Any word on if the a/c system going in is being done by a different company, that would be an even bigger middle finger. Announcers have loved talking about how the dome has no a/c despite the name. Imagine now the announcers talk about the great a/c provided by __________ at the carrier dome.

I suspect that SU is pushing for a change from the original naming gift to a naming rights deal. If so, Carrier would be given the first/preferential stab at it. Additionally, “if you provide the AC system it’ll take care of the first x years of the naming rights deal.”

If Carrier doesn’t bite, then ”Syracuse University Dome” it is, until a new corporate sponsor is found,

Could be we want Carrier to take us to court, & the merits of that agreement we signed 137 years ago would be up for renegotiation. By anyone's standards, that contract should be obsolete- a lifetime deal for $25 million is obscene in today's market. In any case, let them sue us and get it in front of an arbitrator- I like our chances in that scenario.
You forgot the decimal point. It was $2.5M.

You forgot the decimal point. It was $2.5M.

As I may recall, the total cost of the dome was $26M. Carrier Corporation donated $5M to the cost of construction, the Crouse-Hinds Company donated $1M to SU toward the cost of construction and the other $20M came from NY state. Please feel free to correct this if I am mistaken.

As I may recall, the total cost of the dome was $26M. Carrier Corporation donated $5M to the cost of construction, the Crouse-Hinds Company donated $1M to SU toward the cost of construction and the other $20M came from NY state. Please feel free to correct this if I am mistaken.

I believe the state gave us $15m and Carrier the $2.5 naming rights. The rest came from donations and SU.

I'd like to see the contract.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom