The Cisco, Trill, Iffy Draft Watch Thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Cisco, Trill, Iffy Draft Watch Thread

All three projected to be drafted per below.

Interesting! I think Dane Brugler is one of the best talent evaluators in the business. Mike Renner of PFF is also excellent. Renner's take on Cisco was that he was one of the most "roller coaster" players he has ever evaluated. "Cisco has never seen a double move that he didn't think was a single move."

The duration of the season that Iffy and GW prevented allowing a single score on their coverage is truly all the more remarkable when you consider how often our defense was on the field because of our offense

Cisco has always been a muscular guy but he appears to have turned it up a notch.
2021-01-27_21-13-45.jpg

I wouldn’t be surprised if he finds a way into the first couple of rounds.

All-pro ceiling in the right system
It'll be interesting. The NFL doesn't draft on potential, at least in the early rounds, as much as the NBA, and, because of the way he was used his first two years and the injury this year, his overall production isn't that great, despite making timely big plays and flashing talent. The risk:reward ratio for early picks in the NFL seems to be different than the NBA. There are always a few guys that do well at the combine and shoot up the boards for some teams though.

Hard to say Trill should have come back for another year if he's graded as a 3rd/4th round pick this year.
Not if it would've moved him up a round with a full season of tape. I don't know the money difference but it's probably significant.

Last edited:
Hard to say Trill should have come back for another year if he's graded as a 3rd/4th round pick this year.
Agreed. What I take from that is Trill’s got huge physical upside and raw skill. Potentially could’ve become a day 1 2022 rounder with more production.

IMO he made the right decision

Not if would've moved up a round with a full season of tape. I don't know the money difference but it's probably significant.

... UNLESS he gets injured again, in which case, not so much.

Short of playing lights out for the entirety of next season, such that he'd move up to Round 1 (super highly unlikely, and also, because: Syracuse), it's more about getting your shot at the next level, and then making the most of it once there.

I can't blame him or any of these guys for jumping now.
All 3 will likely be hearing their names called, and that's what they have dreamed up since they were little kids playing Pop Warner.

Agreed. What I take from that is Trill’s got huge physical upside and raw skill. Potentially could’ve become a day 1 2022 rounder with more production.

If he gets drafted, and makes a team, is able to play a few years it's a good decision. The money he makes, with the contacts he will make he can be set for life.

Not if would've moved up a round with a full season of tape. I don't know the money difference but it's probably significant.
I think the rookie wage scale fairly well minimizes this unless you are in the first round (guaranteed money and 5th year option) or maybe the top half of the 2nd. I don't think the difference is enough to justify another year (and injury risk) of playing for free. The overarching goal of the players really should be to get to their "2nd deal" as young and as soon as possible, since that's really where the money is.

for instance, just pulling middle of the round safties from the 2020 draft (just quickly grabbed, no science here 2020 NFL Draft Tracker)

Round Pick Contract years Total Value signing bonus
245TBAntoine Winfield Jr.S21Minnesota4$7,307,182$2,874,316
385INDfrom PHI
via DET
Julian BlackmonS21Utah4$4,628,848$926,436
4134ATLfrom BALJaylinn HawkinsS22California4$3,961,916$666,916
5157JACfrom ATL
via BAL
Daniel ThomasS21Auburn4$3,612,116$317,116

So, is 4 years $7.3 mill with $2.9 mill guaranteed better than 4 years $3.9 mil with $666k guaranteed? Absolutely. If you were guaranteed that progression, you'd probably take it, even if it meant playing 1 more year for free and reaching your 2nd contract 1 year older. Is going 5th to 4th or even 3rd round so big that you would risk injury playing for free and reaching your second contract later? I'm not convinced.

Almost as important as the money difference is the higher you are drafted, the more invested the team is in you and you making the team

“It’s all a gamble when it’s just a game”

- Axl Rose

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors