The Cisco, Trill, Iffy Draft Watch Thread | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

The Cisco, Trill, Iffy Draft Watch Thread

Everyone should do what's best for them and I hope to hear his name called.

But you could say this about any player, any year. It's football and guys get hurt all the time.

I just hope he has no regrets after this all plays out. It's all a gamble when it's just a game.

Right. I think that's why lots of players leave once they're eligible. He knows he's getting drafted. If anything the second contract is the key one anyway.

Everyone should do what's best for them and I hope to hear his name called.
What's interesting about this conversation is that nobody disagrees that the players should do what's best for them. It's more about the foregone conclusion that declaring for the draft is what's best. In a few days we'll see step one of how good the decision was. I hope all of the guys have all kinds of success.

Not great Sean!!

Is it still him running things? I always appreciated his sense of humor
No. He stepped back a long time ago. But I appreciate what he started. I check out the site pretty often, but it isn't the same without him

Cisco to me needs to be in the perfect system to make it in the NFL.. He doesnt cover all that well, he didnt really tackle much in our system where we needed it. he did an excellent job of catching bad passes for INT. he is physical enough to be an NFL safety? big unknown. but he seems to be getting some good looks.
Seems like if any of this were true, it would show up in the draft evaluations and he’d fall out of the draft completely

What's interesting about this conversation is that nobody disagrees that the players should do what's best for them. It's more about the foregone conclusion that declaring for the draft is what's best. In a few days we'll see step one of how good the decision was. I hope all of the guys have all kinds of success.
No, the thing about these conversations is that it doesn’t matter what the “right” decision is according to us, ever. There is no “see, we, the message board people knew and you should have consulted with us” moment.

It’s 100% on them. And that’s good. They have resources to get more info than we can ever provide.

No, the thing about these conversations is that it doesn’t matter what the “right” decision is according to us, ever. There is no “see, we, the message board people knew and you should have consulted with us” moment.

It’s 100% on them. And that’s good. They have resources to get more info than we can ever provide.
Who said anything about consulting the message board? It is 100% on them, but that doesn't mean everyone that declares makes the right decision.

It's no different than money management. It's100% up to everyone how they choose to spend/save/invest their money. That doesn't mean everyone does it wisely. Some people do it really well. Some don't. Some take chances and have it pay off. Some get burned.

Who said anything about consulting the message board? It is 100% on them, but that doesn't mean everyone that declares makes the right decision.

It's no different than money management. It's100% up to everyone how they choose to spend/save/invest their money. That doesn't mean everyone does it wisely. Some people do it really well. Some don't. Some take chances and have it pay off. Some get burned.
And? Just like someone’s private money decisions, it’s none of my business.

Posting “we’ll see if he chose well” is still viewing it through our lens. I couldn’t make the decision for Trill and I’m in no better position to judge it after the draft.

And? Just like someone’s private money decisions, it’s none of my business.

Posting “we’ll see if he chose well” is still viewing it through our lens. I couldn’t make the decision for Trill and I’m in no better position to judge it after the draft.
Draft decisions of both players and teams are discussed and critiqued ad nauseum in the sports world. I won't feel bad for expressing my opinion about them on a sports message board. Be careful when you decide to get off that high horse. It looks like it'll be a big step down.

Draft decisions of both players and teams are discussed and critiqued ad nauseum in the sports world. I won't feel bad for expressing my opinion about them on a sports message board. Be careful when you decide to get off that high horse. It looks like it'll be a big step down.
There’s a big difference between “did the Seahawks need a S or a OL with that pick” and “this kid made a big mistake with his life” ...

I also think there is a difference between “pundit who gets paid but is at least impartial” vs “message board fan who posts daily and is severely biased towards his school”

It’s not a high horse. It’s how would I like to be publicly judged for my personal decisions by people who don’t know me.

There’s a big difference between “did the Seahawks need a S or a OL with that pick” and “this kid made a big mistake with his life” ...

I also think there is a difference between “pundit who gets paid but is at least impartial” vs “message board fan who posts daily and is severely biased towards his school”

It’s not a high horse. It’s how would I like to be publicly judged for my personal decisions by people who don’t know me.
There really isn't that much of a difference between many of the paid pundits and message board posters. Kiper is the most famous "draft guru" and he has absolutely no history as a player or coach, and he expresses opinions all of the time about whether a guy would have benefited from staying in school or sometimes if a guy that doesn't declare should've.

Who's judging personal decisions? You are taking this way too far. All I have said is that putting a full year on film to allow scouts to see him play at a consistently high level instead of having a few highlight reel plays to go with really good measurables may have helped him. And you know what? I could be wrong. It's just an opinion. That's what these forums are for. You act like you're his big brother keeping me from taking his lunch money. I doubt he'll ever see my untrained opinion. And if what a fan says on a message board has any effect on him, I have two suggestions for him (that I'm sure he doesn't really need), stay off of fan boards and seek out confidence building workshops.

Last edited:
Tnere really isn't that much of a difference between many of the paid pundits and message board posters. Kiper is the most famous "draft guru" and he has absolutely no history as a player or coach, and he expresses opninons all of the time about whether a guy would have benefited from staying in school or sometimes if a guy that doesn't declare should've.

Who's judging personal decisions? You are taking this way too far. All I have said is that putting a full year on film to allow scouts to see him play at a consistently high level instead of having a few highlight reel plays to go with really good measurables may have helped him. And you know what? I could be wrong. It's just an opinion. That's what these forums are for. You act like you're his big brother keeping me from taking his lunch money. I doubt he'll ever see my untrained opinion. And if what a fan says on a message board has any effect on him, I have two suggestions for him (that I'm sure he doesn't really need), stay off of fan boards and seek out confidence building workshops.
The point is maybe we should see it as more of a personal decision and less of a thing to pull apart and judge. I'm not going to judge his decision as a success or not based on the finite info I have.

We can probably agree that we both will be rooting for him in however it goes.

The point is maybe we should see it as more of a personal decision and less of a thing to pull apart and judge. I'm not going to judge his decision as a success or not based on the finite info I have.

We can probably agree that we both will be rooting for him in however it goes.
I see it as a sports topic, a strategic decision similar to Melo deciding which team to sign with or how successful a coach will be when he changes teams, open for discussion. If you don't want to discuss it, that's fine. I don't believe you need to tell the rest of us whether we can.

I see it as a sports topic, a strategic decision similar to Melo deciding which team to sign with or how successful a coach will be when he changes teams, open for discussion. If you don't want to discuss it, that's fine. I don't believe you need to tell the rest of us whether we can.

Yeah, I disagree. Melo has been around the block, had his success, is used to public attention. Same with HC's. And in all honesty, I tend to not share my opinion on those kind of things either, for the same reason.

If you took me as saying you shouldn't share your opinion, I apologize. I'm simply pointing out that your opinion will be ill-informed no matter what, because you're not him. Just reality.

Yeah, I disagree. Melo has been around the block, had his success, is used to public attention. Same with HC's. And in all honesty, I tend to not share my opinion on those kind of things either, for the same reason.

If you took me as saying you shouldn't share your opinion, I apologize. I'm simply pointing out that your opinion will be ill-informed no matter what, because you're not him. Just reality.
The around the block stuff is bunk. All of these guys are adults that have entered the professional world once they declare. They hear harsher things from coaches than anything I've ever said. Heck, I haven't even said anything bad about Trill. I haven't been at all critical of his skills or abilities. Literally all I've said is that he hasn't been able to put much play on film. I've actually been harder on Cisco and I think it makes total sense that he declared because of his production and history as a multi-year starter. Stop acting like you need to protect them.

Almost all of our opinions are ill-informed. Do you hesitate to express an opinion on coaching? Nope. Are you or have you ever been a coach?

I don't even think you truly care all that much whether opinions are informed or not. I think what matters more is whether you interpret an opinion as negative (which I don't think mine is). You rarely, if ever, tell someone they should keep a positive opinion to themself, regardless of whether or not it seems informed.

The around the block stuff is bunk. All of these guys are adults that have entered the professional world once they declare. They hear harsher things from coaches than anything I've ever said. Heck, I haven't even said anything bad about Trill. I haven't been at all critical of his skills or abilities. Literally all I've said is that he hasn't been able to put much play on film. I've actually been harder on Cisco and I think it makes total sense that he declared because of his production and history as a multi-year starter. Stop acting like you need to protect them.

Almost all of our opinions are ill-informed. Do you hesitate to express an opinion on coaching? Nope. Are you or have you ever been a coach?

I don't even think you truly care all that much whether opinions are informed or not. I think what matters more is whether you interpret an opinion as negative (which I don't think mine is). You rarely, if ever, tell someone they should keep a positive opinion to themself, regardless of whether or not it seems informed.
Sigh.

I don't feel bad about sharing my opinion on coaching - it's not a personal decision. It's a coaching decision. It's also easier to add to your opinion/knowledge on coaching by digging into empiraical stats. There is no deep dive available to me or to you - into a kids personal history, preferences, conversations with scouts, agents, coaches - that can get us to a spot where we can feel well-equipped to say he made a good choice or a bad choice.

Yeah, I'm def not really caring about this position we've spent the morning talking about. I post my opinion, as you do yours. If I didn't believe what I was saying, I wouldn't be saying it. I do tend to jump on negative posts because I hate that is metastasizes so quick around here, but this didn't spring from that honestly.

I regret bringing it up, if that helps you claim some kind of victory or something.

Sigh.

I don't feel bad about sharing my opinion on coaching - it's not a personal decision. It's a coaching decision. It's also easier to add to your opinion/knowledge on coaching by digging into empiraical stats. There is no deep dive available to me or to you - into a kids personal history, preferences, conversations with scouts, agents, coaches - that can get us to a spot where we can feel well-equipped to say he made a good choice or a bad choice.

Yeah, I'm def not really caring about this position we've spent the morning talking about. I post my opinion, as you do yours. If I didn't believe what I was saying, I wouldn't be saying it. I do tend to jump on negative posts because I hate that is metastasizes so quick around here, but this didn't spring from that honestly.

I regret bringing it up, if that helps you claim some kind of victory or something.
Ok that's great. How about then you refrain from telling me what I should express my opinion about and we can put this converstion to rest.

Andre Cisco on Sirius XM NFL Channel 88 right now!

They started off with pretty routine questions, two or three about the injury, medicals etc.
Then it got more interesting. Brought up a comparison to Jeff Chinn (Panthers) that Andre agreed to, talked ballhawking skills, speed (if he would have run), what he thought of ACC quarterbacks.
Didn't speculate on draft position though.

Last edited: