The class of 2022 is very very important for our team | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

The class of 2022 is very very important for our team

I hope you are right about the potential because I thought Woody showed way more last year (in limited playing time) than Benny did all year. I don't think Woody needed to displace Griff and Q. Griff displaced himself down the stretch and getting Woody spot minutes would not have taken crazy effort. Also, who knows the inner workings and if Woody even wanted to be here late in the year, and what the effort looked like. I just wish we had Woody as an option at forward this year.
I wish Braswell was an option. I still don’t understand his move considering he would’ve been option 3 for the forwards and looking at significant time next year.

I wish Braswell was an option. I still don’t understand his move considering he would’ve been option 3 for the forwards and looking at significant time next year.
Don't disagree with that at all. He would have helped this team in a lot of ways.

BC was a 4 win team last year and was barely competitive with anyone, not sure I would use that as an example of potential… Rutgers is a better example but that still doesn’t really present much of an argument for what he could’ve offered the team over what they already have. I’d put him in the same level as freshman year Benny without the upside. The argument that he got “boeheimed” is certainly convenient, but it’s far more likely he didn’t have the skills to displace griffin and Quincy.
I don't think he needed to displace them. I think that doing a better coaching job would allot for more folks to grab a few minutes here and there and not just grind guys down to the bone ala Tom Thibodeau.

There would seem to be diminishing returns when our guys who aren't the most athletic to begin with are grinding out 38-40 minutes a night during conference season. Combine that with the ability to get guys more experience to help increase their development and it would seem beneficial in multiple ways. Probably not a coincidence that our guys constantly fall apart at the end of games. It could be but I don't believe it is.

All 4 of our guards/wings finished in the top 6 in the ACC in minutes played. It obviously was a terrible way to go about things considering how we ended up.

I would have to think the rankings would validate their own scouting.

Rankings have nothing to do with how a guy fits your needs, fits the system you run and are generally put together by people who don’t have the experience or success that JB has.

Rankings have nothing to do with how a guy fits your needs, fits the system you run and are generally put together by people who don’t have the experience or success that JB has.
So why do we care about the rankings for the class, then? Copeland and Carey look like guys who could develop into really solid players for our system. And Brown gives us something we’ve been lacking for a while. It seems like the real issue here is that Bunch and Taylor might not shoot as well as initially advertised.

So why do we care about the rankings for the class, then? Copeland and Carey look like guys who could develop into really solid players for our system. And Brown gives us something we’ve been lacking for a while. It seems like the real issue here is that Bunch and Taylor might not shoot as well as initially advertised.
Have we seen consistently bad stat lines from Bunch or is this concern all off the word of a guy who watched him live in one game?

Have we seen consistently bad stat lines from Bunch or is this concern all off the word of a guy who watched him live in one game?
Yeah, it might just be Taylor. And he seems so gung-ho on the program, which has its own benefits.

Just because Taylor isn’t Buddy, doesn’t mean he’s worthless. Cooney was supposed to be another G-Mac. He still turned into a solid - and under appreciated - player.

Because we are fans and don’t have a better way of evaluating the recruiting class until they’ve gotten here and either contributed or not.

Yeah, it might just be Taylor. And he seems so gung-ho on the program, which has its own benefits.

Just because Taylor isn’t Buddy, doesn’t mean he’s worthless. Cooney was supposed to be another G-Mac. He still turned into a solid - and under appreciated - player.

Yeah, Taylor may not be Buddy2.0 as a shooter (yet), but he also is much more athletic, so likely a better defender and rebounder.

Cooney was incredibly underrated as a defender.
It's no coincidence that our most recent Final Four run featured him and Silent G at the guard spots.
(and Cooney was also part of the prior FF run with MCW & Triche)

Taylor could also be effective for us at the 3, if the other F's don't contribute early.

Taylor will find time on the floor next year. He’s a solid all around player. Similar to Triche, but bigger. He will play. I have more questions about our three front line players. Copeland will struggle with the faster pace and his lack of defensive intensity. I like Brown and I think JB will too. I do believe we need another forward and a point guard from the portal, unless Mintz comes.

Because we are fans and don’t have a better way of evaluating the recruiting class until they’ve gotten here and either contributed or not.
Understood. Should we be speaking in absolutes, though? This could be a productive class regardless of ranking, a la UVA.

Yeah, Taylor may not be Buddy2.0 as a shooter (yet), but he also is much more athletic, so likely a better defender and rebounder.

Cooney was incredibly underrated as a defender.
It's no coincidence that our most recent Final Four run featured him and Silent G at the guard spots.
(and Cooney was also part of the prior FF run with MCW & Triche)

Taylor could also be effective for us at the 3, if the other F's don't contribute early.
Yeah, Cooney’s going to be a great trivia question someday, as the only player to participate in two Final Fours.

Taylor will find time on the floor next year. He’s a solid all around player. Similar to Triche, but bigger. He will play. I have more questions about our three front line players. Copeland will struggle with the faster pace and his lack of defensive intensity. I like Brown and I think JB will too. I do believe we need another forward and a point guard from the portal, unless Mintz comes.
Hmm...Sy Joe Cole Benny Jesse, Frank + 5 fresh = 1 more than we need to practice and 3-4 more than will see meaningful time in the rotation.

I can see JB being content to roll with that and thinking that he can win. But I agree with you. We need to add a PG and an athletic forward that can score (and that's assuming Benny, Cole, and Frank all stay)

I hope you are right about the potential because I thought Woody showed way more last year (in limited playing time) than Benny did all year. I don't think Woody needed to displace Griff and Q. Griff displaced himself down the stretch and getting Woody spot minutes would not have taken crazy effort. Also, who knows the inner workings and if Woody even wanted to be here late in the year, and what the effort looked like. I just wish we had Woody as an option at forward this year.

He had such good lateral movement that they used him at the top of the zone. Braswell was a better rebounder and 3 point shooter, but Woody seemed like a "plus" defender.

Yeah, Cooney’s going to be a great trivia question someday, as the only player to participate in two Final Fours.
That's absolutely insane.

So far.
To be completely honest the answer is Trevor Cooney is the only SU player to play in 2 Final Fours.
Dejuan Coleman RS’s in 2012-2013 and played in 2016.

So the question has to be play in 2 Final Fours not be on 2 SU Final Four teams.

Hmm...Sy Joe Cole Benny Jesse, Frank + 5 fresh = 1 more than we need to practice and 3-4 more than will see meaningful time in the rotation.

I can see JB being content to roll with that and thinking that he can win. But I agree with you. We need to add a PG and an athletic forward that can score (and that's assuming Benny, Cole, and Frank all stay)
DI’d you forget Chas Owens is on scholarship also? So with the 5 incoming freshmen, Joe, Jesse, Symir, Benny, Frank, Chas and Jon Bol = 12 scholarship players. That leaves 1 scholarship available. If Cole stays, that takes the scholarship. If he leaves and Jonah comes, then that takes the remaining scholarship.

Guess there are assumptions that Frank and/or Jon Bol or maybe Benny leave which will open up scholarships. Personally, I do not see Frank or Benny leaving and Jon Bol Ajak did not find much interest last year in the portal and this year his knee injury would make it even more difficult.

There is one scholarship available at this time, zero if Cole Swider stays. So, getting a player from the portal is the third best scenario after Cole staying and Judah coming aboard.

DI’d you forget Chas Owens is on scholarship also? So with the 5 incoming freshmen, Joe, Jesse, Symir, Benny, Frank, Chas and Jon Bol = 12 scholarship players. That leaves 1 scholarship available. If Cole stays, that takes the scholarship. If he leaves and Jonah comes, then that takes the remaining scholarship.

Guess there are assumptions that Frank and/or Jon Bol or maybe Benny leave which will open up scholarships. Personally, I do not see Frank or Benny leaving and Jon Bol Ajak did not find much interest last year in the portal and this year his knee injury would make it even more difficult.

There is one scholarship available at this time, zero if Cole Swider stays. So, getting a player from the portal is the third best scenario after Cole staying and Judah coming aboard.
Chaz is a walk-on that was granted a scholarship because it was available. He can be taken off scholarship just as easily.

Chaz is a walk-on that was granted a scholarship because it was available. He can be taken off scholarship just as easily.
He was not a walk-in. Do not believe that Boeheim will released him from the scholarship. He gave him a scholarship based on his relationship with Chas’ father, Billy Owens.

He was not a walk-in. Do not believe that Boeheim will released him from the scholarship. He gave him a scholarship based on his relationship with Chas’ father, Billy Owens.
Well, he has always been on scholarship because one has been available. However, he was not a recruited player. I don't know what the agreement is with his father, but he had no D1 offers, so he certainly couldn't be offended if he were taken off scholarship.

Billy Owens was huge for SU hoops and JB personally.
I think its a good thing JB gave Chaz a scholarship. It’s just i wish we had more players as well.
Chaz as the walkon on scholarship is a nice thing and its part of the good side of JB.

To be completely honest the answer is Trevor Cooney is the only SU player to play in 2 Final Fours.
Dejuan Coleman RS’s in 2012-2013 and played in 2016.

So the question has to be play in 2 Final Fours not be on 2 SU Final Four teams.
I said participate for that reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom