The Court Report: Dear college basketball coaches, obey the rules and stay off the damn court during play | Syracusefan.com

The Court Report: Dear college basketball coaches, obey the rules and stay off the damn court during play

As long as they’re not in the way of players, which they usually aren’t, I don’t care. It’s loud and they’re trying to yell to their players. High school coaches get the luxury of yelling to their guys without crowd noise. Idk why college coaches should be disadvantaged.

If they get in the way of a ref or player, refs usually call it.

As long as they’re not in the way of players, which they usually aren’t, I don’t care. It’s loud and they’re trying to yell to their players. High school coaches get the luxury of yelling to their guys without crowd noise. Idk why college coaches should be disadvantaged.

If they get in the way of a ref or player, refs usually call it.
There is no need for it. Being on the court or yelling to your players so much. Too many control freak coaches and I'd say there's more now than previously. Maybe they just irritate me more now? Players can't play freely with a constant stream (scream?) of directions at them.
If they step on the court I don't have problem with that. But the examples shown in that article are hilarious and should be taken out of the game. I wonder what would happen if a player deliberately ran into a coach on the court? I've always wondered why we didn't just run a guy into Hurley a couple times and get him out of the game?

There is no need for it. Being on the court or yelling to your players so much. Too many control freak coaches and I'd say there's more now than previously. Maybe they just irritate me more now? Players can't play freely with a constant stream (scream?) of directions at them.
If they step on the court I don't have problem with that. But the examples shown in that article are hilarious and should be taken out of the game. I wonder what would happen if a player deliberately ran into a coach on the court? I've always wondered why we didn't just run a guy into Hurley a couple times and get him out of the game?

You make good points. I hated having coaches yell stuff to me during games and think most players do. The coaches should be doing less. I also wondered why players don’t run into coaches like this. It doesn’t take a lot to make it seem semi-accidental, which is all you’d need.

It's become too egregious IMO to ignore. Especially Shaka when he's in a guarding position and on the court.
It's a thing now. They all think it is part of being a coach. "Look at me. See how far I am on the court."

The court is for players and refs. The sidelines are for the coach.

Good luck with that. Unless and until the refs start handing out "T"s (hopefully before someone gets hurt), they'll still come out onto the court.
Pretty easy thing to do if there is a desire for it. I'd say for when the ball is in play, give a warning first and then start with the Ts. Coaches will adjust.

I first really noticed this when I started coaching girls biddy basketball. Kids in 5th-6th grades. The coaches thought they were NCAA coaches and pretty much standing on the court the entire game which was damn distracting for many of the girls. It wasn't that they were on the court to do instruction... they just thought they were really important and they wanted to emulate the NCAA coaches.

Last edited:
It's become too egregious IMO to ignore. Especially Shaka when he's in a guarding position and on the court.

Funny- I went to the Seton Hall - Marquette game and couldn't believe how far out onto the court he'll wander. A couple times I saw the ref check to make sure he wasn't going to run into him while he was running backwards - no idea why they don't just T him up and end that nonsense.

Funny- I went to the Seton Hall - Marquette game and couldn't believe how far out onto the court he'll wander. A couple times I saw the ref check to make sure he wasn't going to run into him while he was running backwards - no idea why they don't just T him up and end that nonsense.
Refs simply need to tell coaches prior to start of game that if you are on the court during game action I will T you up. That would end it pretty quick.

Refs simply need to tell coaches prior to start of game that if you are on the court during game action I will T you up. That would end it pretty quick.
If they don’t care why does everyone else?

If they don’t care why does everyone else?
I mean sure, they already ignore traveling, so what’s one more rule to ignore in the grand scheme of things?

Unfortunately, it's going to take an injury to a player for the refs at all levels to do something about this.

Unfortunately, it's going to take an injury to a player for the refs at all levels to do something about this.
My view is if you have a rule, enforce it. If you don't enforce the rule, get rid of it. I think this is a good rule but if it is not enforced, it is useless. I can't think of other sports where coaches are allowed to continually stand in the area of play.

Last edited:
My view is if you have a rule, enforce it. If you don't enforce the rule, get rid of it. I think this is a good rule but of it is not enforced, it is useless. I can't think of other sports where coaches are allowed to continually stand in the area of play.
Totally agree. They need to call it before a player gets hurt. Football has their "get back" coach. When Brent Venables was DC at Clemson, Dabo had one of the assistant S&C coaches assigned to pull Venables off the field. Maybe that's what it will take for b-ball.