the crane the crane | Page 126 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Two spirals have been pulled out of storage. One (the most recent one) is more stocky and is likely the vertical. Hope it gets fitted with a collar and hope work starts on adding railings to one of the girders.

Looks like Skylar is at least moving around. Hope to see a vertical spiral go up on the west side before sunset as well. Strip the fabric from the old roof and get two spirals up. That would be a hell of a day.
I'm thinking that the roof removal work is a lot like game day conditions (more people inside the dome and represent unnecessary risk). For safety reasons, I'm guessing there won't be any girder/spiral lifting until the roof is off and the support cables are down.

I'm thinking that the roof removal work is a lot like game day conditions (more people inside the dome and represent unnecessary risk). For safety reasons, I'm guessing there won't be any girder/spiral lifting until the roof is off and the support cables are down.
Could be. They are being unusually proactive prepping for crown truss work if that is the case.

Maybe they will just hold off for today, when the fabric will presumably all be taken down? I think the cables are going to take a while longer. Believe they said they hope to get them down by the end of the week.

After the First Dome Roof Came Down Weather Report from 3/17 - 3/22

Tu - 3/17 47 - 29 A shower in the A.M.
We- 3/18 50 - 40 Clds and Sun
Th - 3/19 58 -48 Rain in A.M.
Fr - 3/ 20 69 - 32 Rain
Sa -3/21 36 - 20 Sun
Su -3/22 39 - 24 Sun

3-23 - 3 - 29
NO RAIN ALL WEEK
Highest Temp Day 53, Night 29 Four days Sun, 3 days clouds

Could be. They are being unusually proactive prepping for crown truss work if that is the case.

Maybe they will just hold off for today, when the fabric will presumably all be taken down? I think the cables are going to take a while longer. Believe they said they hope to get them down by the end of the week.

I think Geode has a point - everyone is inside removing as much of the fabric and the cables as possible. I would guess this is an all - nighter for the crew and others hired to get that aspect done - if they can get that done that quickly? A typical crew and a telescopic boom crane are going quickly down the Forestry side of the dome installing backstays. Looks like they are making good progress. There is a spiral with a collar on it for the West Wall lying parallel to the box girder closest to the fence on Irving. So, they are ready to move and get back to the crown truss as soon as the clean up is done. As far as the east side we've already seen spirals being lowered into that area so they are ready on that side too. That's my guess anyway. It's all good IMO.

They are inspecting the girder with lifting straps lying on top of it next to the fence on Irving. Counterweights were beginning to be loaded into the tray for attachment to Walt IF in fact that's the next crown truss move - first the spiral then the girder.

Moontan/Legacy - you have another sunset tonight as the sun goes down on the day the Dome roof was taken down?

The roof (or lack of it) right now (5:30 3/16/20):

1584394101216.png

Moontan/Legacy - you have another sunset tonight as the sun goes down on the day the Dome roof was taken down?
Will try to remember... :)

Congratulations on your degree. The roof is the ceiling.

In regards to the roof, and with your extensive expertise, I was curious to know what the difference is between this new cable type tension roof is for the Dome versus the one that was on the old Georgia Dome that was replaced by that amazing Mercedes Benz facility? Thanks!

In regards to the roof, and with your extensive expertise, I was curious to know what the difference is between this new cable type tension roof is for the Dome versus the one that was on the old Georgia Dome that was replaced by that amazing Mercedes Benz facility? Thanks!
I was always hoping that we'd go with the Georgia Dome model. Then again, it too had issues when a storm hit, forcing the SEC basketball tournament to be played at the old Georgia Tech arena (same arena, but before a renovation, IIRC).

I attended a couple of Falcons pre-season games at the Georgia Dome, an SEC football championship game, an SEC basketball tournament game, as well as the previous Final Four in which SU got hosed by the officials at the end of their game against Michigan. In the Georgia Dome, the supports were all inside of the roof, consisting of 4 "rings" of supports for the fabric roof.

QP6Mf1bqrpGYu5DF2p_-kcU7ryo_sQuxFAwnwDeP_GlBgYEyQHwtHhnC33LCJetDeu-e78tZWlIeLoOHsxFaS8Mlv2HMxnEeppJxnq-PQ7djB24o

Georgia-Dome-352.jpg