the crane the crane | Page 127 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

I was always hoping that we'd go with the Georgia Dome model. Then again, it too had issues when a storm hit, forcing the SEC basketball tournament to be played at the old Georgia Tech arena (same arena, but before a renovation, IIRC).

I attended a couple of Falcons pre-season games at the Georgia Dome, an SEC football championship game, an SEC basketball tournament game, as well as the previous Final Four in which SU got hosed by the officials at the end of their game against Michigan. In the Georgia Dome, the supports were all inside of the roof, consisting of 4 "rings" of supports for the fabric roof.

QP6Mf1bqrpGYu5DF2p_-kcU7ryo_sQuxFAwnwDeP_GlBgYEyQHwtHhnC33LCJetDeu-e78tZWlIeLoOHsxFaS8Mlv2HMxnEeppJxnq-PQ7djB24o

Georgia-Dome-352.jpg

So, the crown truss was under the roof vs. the Dome's crown truss being suspended with the roof underneath?

I was as that Final Four game in 2013 too...no doubt we got hosed. :(:mad:

So, the crown truss was under the roof vs. the Dome's crown truss being suspended with the roof underneath?

Kinda. The Georgia Dome was definitely a truss, but not a ring truss. It is more like a space frame. The roof material is essentially draped over the truss. Our new roof will be hung like a sheet from a clothes line.

What to do when you just happen to wake up at 4am in Arizona and can't get back to sleep? I watched the dome roof deflate. Then went back to sleep at 5:30!! It was meant to be...
I double up on my workouts

Ugh please don't remind us, I couldn't get out of Hotlanta fast enough after that game, no way I was staying to watch the Cardinals.
The only good thing about that year is Louisville really didn't win the Championship!

Ugh please don't remind us, I couldn't get out of Hotlanta fast enough after that game, no way I was staying to watch the Cardinals.
The only good thing about that year is Louisville really didn't win the Championship!

I hear ya...my bud & I did the same thing. Sold our tix and drove back to Charlotte where he flew back to Syracuse. Even though we didn't get hosed in Houston in '16, I wanted to do the same thing, but we stuck around and witnessed an awesome final and was glad that 'Nova pulled it out.

It’s kind of funny actually. Like if you were planning for a disorganized mess we nailed it!
When I was watching it come down yesterday I thought about just this. The disassembly did not look organized and there were multiple unprotected openings with strong gusts on the way.

i obviously don’t know the logistics, but I thought it would come down section by section without leaving untethered sails.

maybe they could film a quick season of the walking dead in there right now.. they left the last stadium in shambles.

I hear ya...my bud & I did the same thing. Sold our tix and drove back to Charlotte where he flew back to Syracuse. Even though we didn't get hosed in Houston in '16, I wanted to do the same thing, but we stuck around and witnessed an awesome final and was glad that 'Nova pulled it out.

Haha we did as well for Houston, stuck around with some Oklahoma fans (misery loves company) and watched that epic Championship game, I said to myself this may be my only chance to watch one so we stayed and had a great time.

The people want more spirals, give us a spiral
They just brought down the cables or straps they use to initially hold the spirals in place until they get the semi-permanent cabling in place...does that signal that they're getting ready to install one?

Last edited:
They just brought down the cables or straps they use to hold the spirals in place...getting ready to install one?
Could be... they have to at least unload the one that has arrived to allow the driver to get back to Montreal.