the crane the crane | Page 125 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

They're getting a spiral ready by walt...
Two spirals have been pulled out of storage. One (the most recent one) is more stocky and is likely the vertical. Hope it gets fitted with a collar and hope work starts on adding railings to one of the girders.

Looks like Skylar is at least moving around. Hope to see a vertical spiral go up on the west side before sunset as well. Strip the fabric from the old roof and get two spirals up. That would be a hell of a day.

What happens if there's a downpour?

Stuff gets wet. Just like any other time it rains.

Only now, the inside can also get wet.
They have installed drainage, and also closed off the causeways to try to keep those dry.

They have installed drainage, and also closed off the causeways to try to keep those dry.

Ok, that's what I was wondering, if they had sufficient drainage.

Ok, that's what I was wondering, if they had sufficient drainage.
Not really (drainage) but...worst case is games could be played but you eventually have to put a roof on...they can install into September and October. I'm assuming SU has a backup (worse case scenario).

considering its probably less than 50/50 we even start the season.. the bigger issue is not having a construction shutdown.

I was wondering, when the Dome was first built, what stage in the process was the roof completed? Wouldn't they of had to deal with rain, elements, drainage, etc. back then prior to the roof being completed? It would be hard to imagine that some drainage of sort would not have been in place then?

Not really (drainage) but...worst case is games could be played but you eventually have to put a roof on...they can install into September and October. I'm assuming SU has a backup (worse case scenario).
They actually added drainage on 3rd level. Sala has a video someplace that explains some of the preparations.

I was wondering, when the Dome was first built, was the roof one of the last things that was put on? Wouldn't they had to deal with rain, elements, drainage, etc. back then prior to the roof being completed?

well, yes and no. Usually inside work doesn't happen until you have a roof on, whether that's a house, building or dome. Wood, sheetrock, electrical wiring and many other things can be destroyed or weakened with water.

well, yes and no. Usually inside work doesn't happen until you have a roof on, whether that's a house, building or dome. Wood, sheetrock, electrical wiring and many other things can be destroyed or weakened with water.

Yeah. I guess I was just thinking with the size of the building and the time it would take to install/complete the roof, etc. that just good construction practices would call for some basic drainage, waterproofing, etc. Additionally, knowing that the roof at the time inflated by air, needing power/electrical or some type, etc. to inflate the structure.

I was wondering, when the Dome was first built, what stage in the process was the roof completed? Wouldn't they of had to deal with rain, elements, drainage, etc. back then prior to the roof being completed? It would be hard to imagine that some drainage of sort would not have been in place then?

For the Dome they got that out of the way early. Maybe that was the initial plan, or maybe they learned from the Silverdome, where the Lions played games under a partial roof in the first season (there are photos out there somewhere). Pretty sure that wouldn't fly today.

For the Dome they got that out of the way early. Maybe that was the initial plan, or maybe they learned from the Silverdome, where the Lions played games under a partial roof in the first season (there are photos out there somewhere). Pretty sure that wouldn't fly today.

I don't remember that, but I do remember when the implosion blast to take it down didn't work.

I don't remember that, but I do remember when the implosion blast to take it down didn't work.

That's right, wiring was screwed up or something like that and they had to try again the next day.

With a quick online search, I can't find a partial-roof photo. But I know I've seen it before, and knowing me I probably saved a copy to some computer or drive.

Found one.

1584382201874.png

Seems like a bit of a liability concern.

Found one.

View attachment 178117

Seems like a bit of a liability concern.
It is interesting that the early designs for air supported domes had the roof cables rigid from side to side.

I know the Carrier Dome was the first to incorporate a second layer for the roof (to aid in melting snow). I would guess the decision to add some length to the supporting cables, so the roof could be deflated and it would be easier to heat the interior and melt the snow, was also an innovation for Syracuse.