the crane the crane | Page 171 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Another spiral in the air. Where it stops, nobody knows. Except hopefully for the crane operator. ;)

I bet they do not put the girder up until the arrowhead is done...

Last edited:
so maybe the other spiral was just in the way of something cause this one came off the pile under Walt.

You ran 9.7 100s and swimming was your best triathlon event?
Yes- doesn't figure does it? Because my father ran the mile and longer I had no idea if I could but went out for the cross country team my freshman year in prep school. Three miles a day across the schools golf course. I had the endurance but it was tough. Finished with the best and they'd be egging me on c'mon Bill finish with the top 5 it was really very hard and I did it for the season at practice and meets. Eventually I dropped the sport due to my recollection that in the eighth grade I was fast and sprinted everywhere, so I thought I 'd try sprints the 100 and 220. Man, the shin splints went away no more working through side stitches it was a good choice for me. When I got to SU and we would run sprints at the end of practice all the guys would be yelling for me to slow down because the coaches wanted them to keep up with me. Unfortunately Industrial Design is a long day. I didn't get to my second year with the team and had to go to summer school because every day I was skipping a 3 hour 2 - 5 P.M. class to be at football practice and almost flunked out. Had to go to summer school and get two B's to remain in school, I thought summer school was going to be terrible being away from my friends and home but made and A and a B and found that the ratio of women to men was 10 - 1. I had a very good time as three women and one in my watercolor class needed attention and I gave them all I had. The worst part was giving up sports during college. That sucked! :)

Last edited:
Yes- doesn't figure does it? Because my father ran the mile and longer I had no idea if I could but went out for the cross country team my freshman year in prep school. I had the endurance but it was tough. Finished with the best and they'd be egging me on c'mon Bill finish with the top 5 it was really very hard and I did it for the season at practice and meets. Eventually I dropped the sport due to my recollection that in the eighth grade I was fast and sprinted everywhere, so I thought I 'd try sprints the 100 and 220. Man, the shin splints went away no more working through stitches it was a good choice for me. When i got to SU and we would run sprints at the end of practice all the guys would be yelling for me to slow down because the coaches wanted them to keep up with me. Unfortunately Industrial Design is a long day. I didn't get to my second year
with the team and had to go to summer school because every day I was skipping a 3 hour 2- 5 P.M. class to be at football practice and almost flunked out. Had to go to summer school and get two B's to remain in school, I thought summer school was going to be terrible being away from my friends and home but made and A and a B and found that the ratio of women to men was 10 - 1. I had a very good time as three and one in my watercolor class needed attention and I gave them all I had. :)
I love a story with a happy ending.

Many kudos to you. Nice stories...
Yeah, when I was told to go get my practice uniform from Al Zack at 6' 180 LBS the equipment manager, he asked if my mother had insurance on me. But I was pretty good and no one could catch me. They already had two freshman scholie QB's so my first play ever I lined up at WR right side across from an All American DB from Ohio on a go route they wanted to see my ability and if i could catch the ball - burned the kid for a TD- the coach went nuts! :):)

Last edited:
Yeah, when I was told to go get my practice uniform at 6' 180 LBS the equipment manager asked if my mother had insurance on me. But I was pretty good and no one could catch me. They already had two freshman schole QB's so my first play ever I lined up at WR right side across from an All American DB from Ohio on a go route they wanted to see my ability and if i could catch the ball - burned the kid for a TD- the coach went nuts! :):)
Who were the QB’s ahead of you?

I don't remember them ever doing this before. I can only guess that maybe the spirals to complete the arrowhead are not here yet but the next vertical and the girder for it are?

A most interesting development.
Like someone didn't ship or manufacture the correct sized spiral for that spot? Need to number the parts. ;)

Another spiral in the air. Where it stops, nobody knows. Except hopefully for the crane operator. ;)

I bet they do not put the girder up until the arrowhead is done...
13DFCEEB-CFC9-404D-B0F0-F4848850F3EE.jpeg

They’re working on it...

Who were the QB’s ahead of you?
This was a long time ago but the best QB in my opinion was a kid named Ted Holman. We used to warm up together. His finger nails were so long I remember they used to make a noise when he released the ball as they snapped across the laces. He didn't like me due to the fact that I could throw the ball as hard and with as tight a spiral and as far as he could. I didn't feel as though college ball was as tough as prep school. Once though I was very apprehensive. They sent me to the defensive backfield as a safety (they did everything they could to try and get me to quit).
At the time there was a fullback named Jim Nance we ended up friends ( he was the National Heavyweight Wrestling Champion. They held the finals at Cornell - I remember a bunch of us football players traveling down there one night to watch.)
Anyway I was the Safety heh... I knew what the play was because they had just had a walk through drill and he took the ball and trotted up to me and said, "careful Billy Boy." Ben said OK this is live and I was tight as a drum with anxiety. I thought I was supposed to tackle him but it was just a run through with no hitting and here he comes full out - the only chance I had was to hit him low around the ankles which I did and he went down fast. Ben says "who did that - who hit Nance god damn it?" I raised my hand and he said "get the f*** out of here I said this was NO HITTING!" So, I just hung around the sideline where the varsity was practicing.
Nance came up to me after practice and said nice hit, man. He used to carry me down Kimmel Hall with one hand. That was in the days after the meal ticket for sale by football players on campus scandal but that's another story. :)

Last edited:
Bill, you are the man!
Thank you sutomcat and all you Craniacs for your positive responses to my career and sports history.

At the time I didn't think it was that big a deal but I did like the fact that ran a 9.7 and got one woman to become a world champion and another a national champion. But you know what one of the best feelings was? Teaching little kids how to swim - when they took their first stroke without me holding them a smile came to me and a feeling of accomplishment and to see the excitement on the face of the mother who was watching intently. :)

Last edited:
Looks like they have shut down for the day. Was hoping they could get that second diagonal spiral up to finish the southwest diagonal wall. Maybe they still will but I don't think so. The guys that were up working in the last diagonal spiral installed all just walked about like it was quitting time.

There has been very little activity on the southeast side the last couple of days. They have a full arrowhead to do, a girder and another vertical spiral to catch up to the west side. Doesn't look like they are going to try and catch them.

Have to assume they are short one or more of the spirals or the next girder and that is what is holding things up on that side. Hopefully they will get moving again tomorrow. If they don't, it doesn't look like the crown truss will be completed this week.

Spiral going up with Walt or in his area
Sweet. That should finish the arrowhead and set the stage for a girder to go up early tomorrow. Then we will be down to 5 girders left.

If you are wondering what girder will be going up, the one in front of Stadium Control that has been sitting there for a month or two was just outfitted with railings. Pretty sure it is finally going to the show.

If only we could get the east side going again...

Update: a vertical spiral was just added to the southeast diagonal wall. This is the start of the final arrowhead.

These developments lay the groundwork for installation of 2 girders tomorrow morning. That will take us to the Final Four!

Last edited:
Spiral going up with Walt or in his area
Sweet. That should finish the arrowhead and set the stage for a girder to go up early tomorrow. Then we will be down to 5 girders left.

If you are wondering what girder will be going up, the one in front of Stadium Control that has been sitting there for a month or two was just outfitted with railings. Pretty sure it is finally going to the show.

If only we could get the east side going again...

Update: a vertical spiral was just added to the southeast diagonal wall. This is the start of the final arrowhead.

These developments lay the groundwork for installation of 2 girders tomorrow morning. That will take us to the Final Four!

its going back down right now

its going back down right now
Maybe just ran out of time? Oh well, tomorrow should be a 2 girder day. The dream of finishing this week is still alive.

And guess what? That spiral is up and rising again. The guys are up and waiting for the spiral to arrive by the girder. I guess it is going to happen today.

Back to play by play! There is a TBL with two crew - there was and they are coming down too late. they were just above the collar on the latest girder with arrowhead support - both spirals have collars still.

2 girders tomorrow will be ready to go. i wonder if they need 2 spirals before the next girder goes up on the west

Looking at the North truss, the truss doesn’t have vertical spirals and diagonals. It appears they are all on a diagonal that connect to the girders.

The arrowhead on the east side will have the last vertical spiral unless you count the next spiral that goes up on the east side after the arrowhead.

Yes- doesn't figure does it? Because my father ran the mile and longer I had no idea if I could but went out for the cross country team my freshman year in prep school. I had the endurance but it was tough. Finished with the best and they'd be egging me on c'mon Bill finish with the top 5 it was really very hard and I did it for the season at practice and meets. Eventually I dropped the sport due to my recollection that in the eighth grade I was fast and sprinted everywhere, so I thought I 'd try sprints the 100 and 220. Man, the shin splints went away no more working through side stitches - it was a good choice for me. When I got to SU and we would run sprints at the end of practice all the guys would be yelling for me to slow down because the coaches wanted them to keep up with me. Unfortunately Industrial Design is a long day. I didn't get to my second year with the team and had to go to summer school because every day I was skipping a 3 hour 2 - 5 P.M. class to be at football practice and almost flunked out. Had to go to summer school and get two B's to remain in school, I thought summer school was going to be terrible being away from my friends and home but made and A and a B and found that the ratio of women to men was 10 - 1. I had a very good time as three women and one in my watercolor class needed attention and I gave them all I had. The worst part was giving up sports during college. That sucked! :)
Addendum to the above: I lived and worked in CT, 10 miles west of Hartford. In order to compete in triathlons both sprint and Olympic distance I had to learn to like running distance again. It wasn't easy. It hurt a lot. Sprint distances were usually a 5k (3.1 miles) and 10 k (6.2miles). But I got used to it. My least favorite of the three legs. At the time I was in a relationship with an All American rated triathlete. She also sold bikes for Fuji and one of their line was a Titanium model. She was also a domestique in bike racing for women. Very, very, good overall - so she arranged for me to get an almost weighs nothing Fuji Titanium if I worked with her in the swim. It was a great five year run. Then I became a race director of the largest in terms of people attending and competing Olympic Distance event that qualified you for the National Championship usually 500 athletes showed each year. It was almost a full time gig just being in that position. Attended race director conferences in Colorado Springs every year for 7 years. Wanna get tired really fast? Fly into Colorado Springs and have a rep from USA Triathlon invite you to work out in the pool with them the first day. I fell into their trap not taking into account the ALTITUDE. Didn't swim at all the first night. They laughed at me for the entire week of the conference. :)

Last edited:
At 5:14 P.M. a crew in a support bucket at the end of the arm of a TBL is busily working at the top end of and beneath the last girder. I would imagine checking out the seal tightening everything that needs to be tightened and installing nuts and bolts if needed. They've been up there for some time.

5:51P.M. and the crew of the TBL and all crew are done for this day. And a great day it was. Lots of work accomplished. I bet the sun sets then a beautiful vermillion afterglow will follow tonight.