the crane the crane | Page 172 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

This was a long time ago but the best QB in my opinion was a kid named Ted Holman. We used to warm up together. His finger nails were so long I remember they used to make a noise when he released the ball as they snapped across the laces. He didn't like me due to the fact that I could throw the ball as hard and with as tight a spiral and as far as he could. I didn't feel as though college ball was as tough as prep school. Once though I was very apprehensive. They sent me to the defensive backfield as a safety (they did everything they could to try and get me to quit).
At the time there was a fullback named Jim Nance we ended up friends ( he was the National Heavyweight Wrestling Champion. They held the finals at Cornell - I remember a bunch of us football players traveling down there one night to watch.)
Anyway I was the Safety heh... I knew what the play was because they had just had a walk through drill and he took the ball and trotted up to me and said, "careful Billy Boy." Ben said OK this is live and I was tight as a drum with anxiety. I thought I was supposed to tackle him but it was just a run through with no hitting and here he comes full out - the only chance I had was to hit him low around the ankles which I did and he went down fast. Ben says "who did that - who hit Nance god damn it?" I raised my hand and he said "get the f*** out of here I said this was NO HITTING!" So, I just hung around the sideline where the varsity was practicing.
Nance came up to me after practice and said nice hit, man. He used to carry me down Kimmel Hall with one hand. That was in the days after the meal ticket for sale by football players on campus scandal but that's another story. :)
bill thanks for sharing all you did, an absolute joy to read all that!

very cloudy sunset.png

072BEEFD-06F2-47E2-A05F-1F40ED68A982.jpeg

Ready for another girder, or two, tomorrow. The main truss work should be done by the end of next week.

One can only wonder if Walt is needed to remove the platforms below the girders on the West side of the Dome. If so, he’ll be around while the new roof goes up.

Does anyone know what the exterior lighting situation will be?
I was told be someone who should know that no lighting has been planned for the crown truss. At least not initially. I hope this changes as SU sees the folly of their ways. Simple LED lighting is not very expensive. But if they are going to do it, now is the time, when there are workers all around the crown truss, with platforms and cranes and all the supporting infrastructure to make it easy to install.

I was told be someone who should know that no lighting has been planned for the crown truss. At least not initially. I hope this changes as SU sees the folly of their ways. Simple LED lighting is not very expensive. But if they are going to do it, now is the time, when there are workers all around the crown truss, with platforms and cranes and all the supporting infrastructure to make it easy to install.
That is absurd and very disappointing.

This is the 2nd disappointment I’ve heard.

The other being the unwillingness to build a roof that allows natural sunlight all because of glare on the basketball court. (The 2-3 times a year the men’s team actually has a day game.)

Instead of swinging for the fences this once in a generation project has opted for the safe single to right field.

The other being the unwillingness to build a roof that allows natural sunlight all because of glare on the basketball court. (The 2-3 times a year the men’s team actually has a day game.)

Instead of swinging for the fences this once in a generation project has opted for the safe single to right field.
I think this project is a bit more than a single.

The Dome didn’t have all the exterior lighting they have now until years later. I‘m sure in the future it will happen, but it’s probably not a priority at the moment, unless someone wants to pony up another couple million dollars.

The Dome didn’t have all the exterior lighting they have now until years later. I‘m sure in the future it will happen, but it’s probably not a priority at the moment, unless someone wants to pony up another couple million dollars.
I agree with this, although I have to say the exterior lighting for the Dome is done exceptionally poorly. It is completely out of character with many other campus buildings that have exterior lighting that is done really well.

I hope if and when it is done, they use people who are competent to do it. It really should be done with the installation of the LED lighting inside the facility.

Pete Sala is a pragmatic guy. He's only doing the most vital things now to complete the project on-time. Any extra bells and whistles can come at a later date...with more budget i'm sure.

So no plans yet to build a roller coaster on the frame? Dome Coaster? ‘Cuse Coaster?
Who is Walt?

can we point to all the examples of stadiums that were built to allow an abundance of natural light that it worked out well?

Hello Astrodome.

walt might have a girder rigged!
I think Skylar does as well. It is the last chance to do a double team girder rising.

Skylar has the lead in this race. Should see that girder appear shortly on the east side.

Last edited: