the crane the crane | Page 173 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Walt I would assume is taking vacation for a couple weeks. I bet they do some inspections on him.
Walt should get a medal or at least a glowing letter of praise for his service during this project, especially during the winter.

Surprised he isn't sticking around to help put up the new roof. I guess this means that the new roof is going to be put up from the inside? If so, a lot of material is going to have to be squeezed through stadium control.

why did we end up with so many cranes on the street? did we corner the market?

skylar up

Are there anymore girders and spirals on site? It would be disappointing if they are delayed waiting for more materials.

This is the 2nd disappointment I’ve heard.

The other being the unwillingness to build a roof that allows natural sunlight all because of glare on the basketball court. (The 2-3 times a year the men’s team actually has a day game.)

Instead of swinging for the fences this once in a generation project has opted for the safe single to right field.
I'm sure SU would be happy to install lighting if you would like to make a donation for it.
I've always said it's easy to be free- wheeling when it comes to other people's money.

Not including exterior lighting with the interior lighting bid is completely short sided and pretty typical when it comes to Syracuse. Not really shocked after hearing the benches are going back in.

I'm sure SU would be happy to install lighting if you would like to make a donation for it.
I've always said it's easy to be free- wheeling when it comes to other people's money.
Here we go again. Typical quote used to defend Su. Name a project of this magnitude that wouldn’t do lighting or seating... I’m shocked they didn’t put a tarp over the old roof and call it a day.

benches had to go back in just because of ADA.

Man thought they were gonna take out the spiral staircase for a second with that girder

Here we go again. Typical quote used to defend Su. Name a project of this magnitude that wouldn’t do lighting or seating... I’m shocked they didn’t put a tarp over the old roof and call it a day.
and it turns out not doing that stuff was a good decision with the hundreds of millions of debt they just incurred. CP stuff all over is getting shut down.

and it turns out not doing that stuff was a good decision with the hundreds of millions of debt they just incurred. CP stuff all over is getting shut down.
Though the interest rate on the debt should be spectacularly good. That will last throughout the amortization period whereas it is more than likely any recent hit to the endowment will be recouped well before the amortization period.

I wasn't quoting anyone. Unless you were part of the budgeting and planning process you really don't know why some things were included and others omitted. Do you know how much lighting would cost? I don't. I've read on here that it's "cheap". What is cheap?$500k? $1mill? $2mill? SU doesn't have infinite funding, whether some care to admit it or not. If you want to label that as a defense of SU, that's fine. I have no problem giving the planners the benefit of the doubt here and that they considered a lot of different concepts. It's also quite possible that lighting might be a possible add-on depending on the final cost of this phase.
I used to finance large infrastructure projects (multiple times the cost of this project), so I have an idea how these things work as far as design, budgeting, funding, construction, etc.

Walt I would assume is taking vacation for a couple weeks. I bet they do some inspections on him.

What I heard is that he's done after today's girder; they can use smaller cranes to remove the backstays. Not sure if that's accurate or not, but at $40,000 per day to rent the guy, I'm sure they want him out of here as soon as practical.

You can see the massive size of the girder when it makes the concrete spiral staircase look small. It’s really noticeable as they hoist up the girder. The girders are really massive.

so after the one Walt has right now goes in, there's three to go, correct?

Not including exterior lighting with the interior lighting bid is completely short sided and pretty typical when it comes to Syracuse. Not really shocked after hearing the benches are going back in.

In regards to the lighting, I would tend to agree with you somewhat in being a bit short-sighted, especially when considering what Tomcat pointed out about the relative inexpensive costs in that regard when considering the Dome's current state, resources on site, total scope, etc. At the minimum, they should at least be doing the "roughing out" of the infrastructure needed as adding the 'finished' hardware afterwards will be much simpler and far more cost effective.

I understand (from what I've read here) pausing currently on the seating due to its inherent complexity and how that may potentially negatively impact season ticket holders, especially major donors, etc.

Interestingly, I do find that article the other day on Syracuse.com relative to the Maloney era, etc., quite telling relative to the parallels in SU's hand being forced to do something. I guess that kind of speaks for itself...

Last edited:
Screenshot from 2020-04-08 12-21-28.png

Another dual-concurrent girder day!

This is the 2nd disappointment I’ve heard.

The other being the unwillingness to build a roof that allows natural sunlight all because of glare on the basketball court. (The 2-3 times a year the men’s team actually has a day game.)

Instead of swinging for the fences this once in a generation project has opted for the safe single to right field.
There are a lot of things that could be done, but time and money are issues in the "get 'er done" world. I would like to see a brick or stone facade between the pillars. The gray monolith is something out of the Stalinist Soviet Union School of Architecture.

interesting the cranes and people went all up like it was gonna go an then they all came back down