the crane the crane | Page 175 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

What a foolish statement. Let me guess, you must also be in the “this is already a major renovation, what more can you ask for?” camp.

It’s pretty simple. If you want to do something right, why not do it right the first time? If you are going to spend $120 million on a renovation, why not consider spending the additional $25k to have proper lighting installed?? Seems like a no brainer to me to do it right now then revisit in a couple of years.

But go on with your foolish comments.
So the quote for lighting is $25k? If $25k is the real price, I would agree with you. But, that seems pretty low to me. That's more in line with the cost of wiring and lighting for a private residence.

I assume you have a quote and and a rendering for the lighting for $25k? Seems more like you are the one being dramatic and foolish. By necessity and or budget, some things go to the front of the line in a multi-phase project. Just because YOU think it's the top priority doesn't mean that either they should or that it's cheaply and easily incorporated into the first phase.

Reread his post. It's not just making the seating ADA compliant but rather if you change the seating the entire facility would have to be made ADA compliant to current standards.
Reread my post. I didn't limit all my points to seating only. My point is that it's disingenuous to blame the seating component of the renovation to the overall ADA requirement of the entire dome when the whole amount is not exorbitant cost and not $100 million dollars. If anyone can link that figure to some credible site. It was probably mentioned by the builder or organization who is paying the bills and has no credibility.
Parking is irrelevant because there is limited parking within walking distance anyway. 50% of entrances need to be accessible. There's already 4 to 5 accessible entrances and with the stadium no longer air supported and doesn't need the double door air lock system others can easily be made accessible and most people believe the ADA is written in stone. For new building its close but for renovations there is a reasonable expense standard which most people ignore. Most don't even come close to this standard but some do. That's why builders try to blow up the amount of money needed. 1% of seating need to be accessible and that is woefully short. 490 ish. They have about 50 now. That's the bulk of it but its an additive amount and not exclusive to the overall expense to changing out all the seating. Tens of millions possible but not $100m.

I am aware of a building that required ADA compliance. They needed to add an entrance.. So a ramp was built and a sidewalk added and doors with pressure plates installed, and signage changed and maps created and web sites updated. All was added for a huge amount of money..

Sounds nice until you roll in there and use the new door and find yourself at the base of a set of stairs..

tomcat - just wondering about seating at the Dome. I hear all the complaints about it, ( I think I'd be more upset about the pee troughs), but I experienced Manley which for 9,536 seats was an amazing venue for SU basketball. I have included a web site of a seating manufacturer in Louisville, KY They show a range of four to five seating options - the first being the Coliseum One which is an individual chair, Coliseum Two which has a molded seat and back to bench seating with back rests to individual fold down seats and just plain ol' aluminum bench seating.

Last edited:
I am aware of a building that required ADA compliance. They needed to add an entrance.. So a ramp was built and a sidewalk added and doors with pressure plates installed, and signage changed and maps created and web sites updated. All was added for a huge amount of money..

Sounds nice until you roll in there and use the new door and find yourself at the base of a set of stairs..
That wouldn't meet any ADA standard. It does meet the dumb standard I guess.

To make the Dome ADA compliant, SU would have to install escalators to reach all levels of the Dome. All the bathrooms would have to be retrofitted along with all fixtures, door knobs, etc. To add escalators you would have to widen the Dome to make the concourses wider. This is where we saw pictures of glass concourses to the edge of the street. I think this is the hope, but price may be over whelming.

That wouldn't meet any ADA standard. It does meet the dumb standard I guess.
why would that be? from what i know its required access to the building not to whats in the building? We have tons of buildings that had to add ramps for access, the the access doesnt get you to the elevators.

To make the Dome ADA compliant, SU would have to install escalators to reach all levels of the Dome. All the bathrooms would have to be retrofitted along with all fixtures, door knobs, etc. To add escalators you would have to widen the Dome to make the concourses wider. This is where we saw pictures of glass concourses to the edge of the street. I think this is the hope, but price may be over whelming.
And elevators...walkers and wheelchairs don't work really well on escalators. ;)

The ADA does not have an escalator requirement. But there probably would need additional platforms built and new elevators built. But then again its kinda ridiculous that only one small elevator exists in a 49K seat stadium anyway. Good idea that at some point in a $200 million renovation you'd want to add alot more elevators independent of mobility needs. There are no doorknobs on the Dome bathroom doors and fixtures on the sinks are fine. Probably a few more stalls needed. No concourses need to be widened because the concourses are all ready flat and accessible. Reasonable expense exclusion on ADA to not have to tear down walls and essentially rebuild the dome for any reason. Glass concourse to the front would just be cool and not required.

why would that be? from what i know its required access to the building not to whats in the building? We have tons of buildings that had to add ramps for access, the the access doesnt get you to the elevators.
If true that sounds like a major problem doesn't it.
The Title III Public Accommodations ADA requirement details not only building access but unobstructed path of travel to the same aspects, products, and services as the general public to the maximum extent feasible.
Because the over reaching goal of the 5 sections of the ADA isn't just to be able to get into a building but rather a civil rights law that prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities in all areas of public life, including jobs, schools, transportation, and all public and private places that are open to the general public. The purpose of the law is to make sure that people with disabilities have the same rights and opportunities as everyone else.

Last edited:
The ADA does not have an escalator requirement. But there probably would need additional platforms built and new elevators built. But then again its kinda ridiculous that only one small elevator exists in a 49K seat stadium anyway. Good idea that at some point in a $200 million renovation you'd want to add alot more elevators independent of mobility needs. There are no doorknobs on the Dome bathroom doors and fixtures on the sinks are fine. Probably a few more stalls needed. No concourses need to be widened because the concourses are all ready flat and accessible. Reasonable expense exclusion on ADA to not have to tear down walls and essentially rebuild the dome for any reason. Glass concourse to the front would just be cool and not required.
Where is there room for elevators and escalators without widening concourses?

You think the only way to add elevators is to widen concourses?!
No, but there isn’t much room and you also have to have access on all three levels. They have to go somewhere and each concourse gets smaller.

No, but there isn’t much room and you also have to have access on all three levels. They have to go somewhere and each concourse gets smaller.
External Elevator shafts are added to older buildings all the time. The Dome also has a bunch of back room service areas that could provide room for shafts internal to the shell too.

dome sunset.jpg

Legacy this is one your best efforts yet with the light vermillion sky framed by the perfect background medium to dark gray clouds and the almost completed Crown Trussed Dome in the fore ground, followed by Hendricks, and the quad on which I spent quite a lot of time on and walking over on the way to and back from class. You can frame this one!

If Carrier and some other companies were still together as part of UTC then there could be AC, elevators and escalators... and a certain company’s name could still be associated with our enclosed stadium.

Last edited: