the crane the crane | Page 174 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

how about getting one of those guys who does the huge outdoor murals around the world. it would be a huge art space to use up. we could do a big orange slice?

1586363423859.png

They could also create huge thick plastic boards with images on them and install them between between the columns.

Hate to bring a bit of bad news to this party but tomorrows forecast is a knuckle sandwich. Walt is going to have to be down after work today. So it looks like we lose two days when we are really rolling!
:(

Thu.
4/9

50°Hi

Winds becoming strong; mostly cloudy with rain tapering off

Wind: W at 21 mph

Wind Gusts: 32 mph

Probability of Precipitation: 67%

Probability of Thunderstorms: 20%

Precipitation: 0.19 in

Rain: 0.19 in

Snow: 0.0 in

Ice: 0.00 in

Hours of Precipitation: 2.5

Hours of Rain: 2.5

AND THEN:
Fri.
4/10

42°Hi

Mostly cloudy, windy and cooler with a couple of snow showers; storm total snowfall an inch or two

Wind: WNW at 21 mph

Wind Gusts: 28 mph

Probability of Precipitation: 67%

Probability of Thunderstorms: 10%

Precipitation: 0.11 in

Rain: 0.00 in

Snow: 0.8 in

Ice: 0.00 in

Hours of Precipitation: 4

will they attempt any more spirals? do they have any left? If walt is really done then this is the last 2fer day we will ever see..

IT'S LUNCHTIME!!!! LAST ONE FOR WALT I GUESS. Every one says he's going - didn't hear that - maybe due to the weather he'll be around a bit longer. Or not. If your definitely outta here BYE!!! :(

Last edited:
There are reasons that the benches are going back in some having to do with the ADA.
Yes, SU wanted to replace them but the federal government said changing them would trigger ADA. It will cost over $100 million to bring the dome into compliance for ADA. Not in the cards for a small private school with limited resources.

I suspect there will be negotiations on this someday in the future but SUAD did the right thing and spent the money they had to work with on their most pressing needs first.

and it turns out not doing that stuff was a good decision with the hundreds of millions of debt they just incurred. CP stuff all over is getting shut down.
Yes, SU wanted to replace them but the federal government said changing them would trigger ADA. It will cost over $100 million to bring the dome into compliance for ADA. Not in the cards for a small private school with limited resources.

I suspect there will be negotiations on this someday in the future but SUAD did the right thing and spent the money they had to work with on their most pressing needs first.
during planning all talks where about ada compliance. Here is one of a bunch of articles talking about ada.

during planning all talks where about ada compliance. Here is one of a bunch of articles talking about ada.
That might all apply to a seating status quo. Changing the seating opens a whole new can of worms. Maybe some day, maybe not. Michigan, ND, etc. all get along with bench seating.

The dome is not subject to ADA because it was built before ADA was passed. SU did have discussions with the feds about ADA as part of planning. They thought they were fine but they were told at the last second that replacing the seats would trigger a requirement to bring the facility completely up to date with current ADA requirements. This was a surprise to them. That requirement is typically triggered only when major renovations are made (i.e. expanding the stadium, expanding the concourses, adding a new deck, etc.).

Bringing it into full compliance is an extremely expensive process. More expensive that putting a new roof on the building. We are talking about a cost of well over $100 million.

I think it is a shame that a relatively inexpensive and minor change that would have benefited many fans and addressed one of the biggest complaints about attending games at the dome had to be scrubbed because of a senseless decision by the feds. I have family and friends who are disabled and none of them think the decision makes sense either. Common sense. Sometimes it isn't that common.

The dome is not subject to ADA because it was built before ADA was passed. SU did have discussions with the feds about ADA as part of planning. They thought they were fine but they were told at the last second that replacing the seats would trigger a requirement to bring the facility completely up to date with current ADA requirements. This was a surprise to them. That requirement is typically triggered only when major renovations are made (i.e. expanding the stadium, expanding the concourses, adding a new deck, etc.).

Bringing it into full compliance is an extremely expensive process. More expensive that putting a new roof on the building. We are talking about a cost of well over $100 million.

I think it is a shame that a relatively inexpensive and minor change that would have benefited many fans and addressed one of the biggest complaints about attending games at the dome had to be scrubbed because of a senseless decision by the feds. I have family and friends who are disabled and none of them think the decision makes sense either. Common sense. Sometimes it isn't that common.
Where are you coming up with the $100 million figure. Makes no sense. If you're going to replace seats anyway its not an additional $100m to make that seating compliant. There's some additional cost but not that.
There's no way they should have gotten away with alot of it even in 1980. You don't always need a law to do the right thing. It was very trendy during that period to just ignore what the disabled community was saying. I know I was there. The first thing during discussion is to overstate expense and the trouble to making changes when in fact universal design is more logical to the overall population and far less expensive than builders say. Its called innovation, its inexpensive, and it costs what it costs. Just do it. Oh the trouble...

Where are you coming up with the $100 million figure. Makes no sense. If you're going to replace seats anyway its not an additional $100m to make that seating compliant. There's some additional cost but not that.
There's no way they should have gotten away with alot of it even in 1980. You don't always need a law to do the right thing. It was very trendy during that period to just ignore what the disabled community was saying. I know I was there. The first thing during discussion is to overstate expense and the trouble to making changes when in fact universal design is more logical to the overall population and far less expensive than builders say. Its called innovation, its inexpensive, and it costs what it costs. Just do it. Oh the trouble...
Reread his post. It's not just making the seating ADA compliant but rather if you change the seating the entire facility would have to be made ADA compliant to current standards.

I'm sure SU would be happy to install lighting if you would like to make a donation for it.
I've always said it's easy to be free- wheeling when it comes to other people's money.
What a foolish statement. Let me guess, you must also be in the “this is already a major renovation, what more can you ask for?” camp.

It’s pretty simple. If you want to do something right, why not do it right the first time? If you are going to spend $120 million on a renovation, why not consider spending the additional $25k to have proper lighting installed?? Seems like a no brainer to me to do it right now then revisit in a couple of years.

But go on with your foolish comments.

There are a lot of things that could be done, but time and money are issues in the "get 'er done" world. I would like to see a brick or stone facade between the pillars. The gray monolith is something out of the Stalinist Soviet Union School of Architecture.
There’s a difference between a string of LED lighting and your brick or stone facade comparison. But go ahead and be dramatic about it.