the crane the crane | Page 186 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Legacy - way off the subject of today which is the Dome - what ever happened to that metallic blue 70's Camaro with the white interior you had???
Sadly that metallic paint had peeling and flaking issues. It was traded in...for a buick lemon. :(

orange sunset.png

Another load of what looks like metal u channels backing in through the blue door entry. tomcat any ideas on what these are this is the 4th or 5th load today.?
Bill, I do not know what they are. The flatbed trucks are driving in filled with these things. They are dark brown. I though at first glance that they were railroad ties but based on what I can see on my trusty iPad (not a great monitor), yes, they look like they are made of metal and U shaped.

We know they are installing a new roof, new lighting, a new sound system, a new center hung scoreboard and a new WiFi system. That much metal seems likely to be part of the new roof someday. The drawings of the new roof show the exterior panels looking a light tan color. They might just be wrong; they got the color of the crown truss wrong, so they could get this wrong too, I suppose.

My guess is that the u shaped things are panels that re part of the hard shell perimeter part of the new roof. They could be for something else. Maybe vent work for the new AC? I don’t see why they wouldn’t just use the existing ductwork that has been in place since the dome opened to distribute the cooled air, and even if they decided to install new ductwork, why would they install it now, when it wont be used for a year, when they are on a tight deadline and can’t afford to waste time on things they are not needed immediately?

So my bet is that they are part of the new roof. But I really do not know for sure.

Some cables have been laid out inside the dome.View attachment 179741
Maybe my eyes are deceiving me but all that brown stuff that was hauled into the dome on flatbed trucks definitely looks like oversized railroad ties to me.

Why do they need them and why do they need so many of them? They were used previously to protect the crane pads from getting wrecked by the tremendous weight of Walt and Skylar.

I can't believe we are going to use them as part of the roof. They have to be there protect the floor, or the stands. Maybe they are going to create some staging areas on the dome floor to store heavy pieces of the roof? Maybe they are planning on 'craning in' some heavy equipment to the dome floor that will need the ties to protect the floor?

What is the scoop with the mysterious Pfeiffer box in the middle of the floor? It looks like temporary office space for the project managers/supervisors to work in.

I think the black hoses strewn around the stands are for temporary drainage. Looks like they go into troughs along the perimeter of the field.

What are the other cables that do diagonally around the playing field? I am guessing they are temporary lines for power distribution?

Any construction people on the board who can step up and explain this stuff?

Maybe my eyes are deceiving me but all that brown stuff that was hauled into the dome on flatbed trucks definitely looks like oversized railroad ties to me.

Why do they need them and why do they need so many of them? They were used previously to protect the crane pads from getting wrecked by the tremendous weight of Walt and Skylar.

I can't believe we are going to use them as part of the roof. They have to be there protect the floor, or the stands. Maybe they are going to create some staging areas on the dome floor to store heavy pieces of the roof? Maybe they are planning on 'craning in' some heavy equipment to the dome floor that will need the ties to protect the floor?

What is the scoop with the mysterious Pfeiffer box in the middle of the floor? It looks like temporary office space for the project managers/supervisors to work in.

I think the black hoses strewn around the stands are for temporary drainage. Looks like they go into troughs along the perimeter of the field.

What are the other cables that do diagonally around the playing field? I am guessing they are temporary lines for power distribution?

Any construction people on the board who can step up and explain this stuff?
I think the "railroad tie" looking things might be reuse of the planking from the cranes. If you look at some of the other roof raising videos there was wood laid under the cables before raising them for the roof. They could be using them as a platform to lay wood on top of to lay the cable on top up to the first level.

Last edited:
Sorry If this has been covered before but what exactly are the backstays?
They are the rusty looking metal pieces along the outside of the top of the Dome’s concrete walls. They are assisted by cables going down to anchors on some of the Dome’s columns.

You’ll see that there are cables running from each of the spirals to the back stays. This is all I. Place to keep the spirals and the girders from falling into the Dome. The entire truss leans inward. Once the entire truss is in place it will lean against itself and stay in place (assuming that they’re anchored properly on the concrete wall and that the concrete wall is strong enough to hold that weight & pressure).

I think the "railroad tie" looking things might be reuse of the planking from the cranes. If you look at some of the other roof raising videos there was wood laid under the cables before raising them for the roof. They could be using them as a platform to lay wood on top of to lay the cable on top up to the first level.
Could be. I would think that a slat or two of plywood would suffice to hold cables, like they are doing now. But some of the cables for the old roof weighed 90 tons, so you could definitely be right.

I noticed that the big cranes inside the dome are not mobile now. Maybe they plan on bringing in a heavy crane with tracks and the wood will allow it to move around without chewing up the floor? Or maybe some other track based heavy equipment might be coming to the dome floor soon.

Also, I think I was wrong about the black cables being used for drainage. They all seem to connect to the private boxes. One of my friends speculated that they might be being used to keep the boxes heated. I think they all have sinks in them. Might have full bathrooms in some. I bet he is right. That is probably why they are wrapped so tightly and well isolated.

My heart skipped a beat when I looked at the live shot this morning. I thought someone might have driven off with Walt in the middle of the night, but then realized he can barely be seen on the edge of the screen. Wish they would zoom that camera back out so we could see what's going on.

I am now seeing blue baskets along Forestry Drive.
They look like they might be used to transport a bunch of people/materials at the same time. Maybe to get stuff up and down from the roof?

It will be interesting to see how much of the new roof is brought into the dome and installed from the inside and how much, if any, will be installed from the outside.

Also, I think Skylar might have a girder on the hook.

i think those are over sized recycling bins

The Pfeiffer boxes? That's my guess, too. There have been some staged on Hendricks Field and they've got that waste hauling look to them.

Could be. I would think that a slat or two of plywood would suffice to hold cables, like they are doing now. But some of the cables for the old roof weighed 90 tons, so you could definitely be right.

I noticed that the big cranes inside the dome are not mobile now. Maybe they plan on bringing in a heavy crane with tracks and the wood will allow it to move around without chewing up the floor? Or maybe some other track based heavy equipment might be coming to the dome floor soon.

anytime railroad ties are used they are for platforms to support the weights of equipment and provide a stable solid base, and/or to prevent tracks from tearing up what's below them.

even those cranes with their outriggers could punch right through blacktop.

Girder in the air. Skylar has it. Should come into focus shortly.

Bill, I do not know what they are. The flatbed trucks are driving in filled with these things. They are dark brown. I though at first glance that they were railroad ties but based on what I can see on my trusty iPad (not a great monitor), yes, they look like they are made of metal and U shaped.

We know they are installing a new roof, new lighting, a new sound system, a new center hung scoreboard and a new WiFi system. That much metal seems likely to be part of the new roof someday. The drawings of the new roof show the exterior panels looking a light tan color. They might just be wrong; they got the color of the crown truss wrong, so they could get this wrong too, I suppose.

My guess is that the u shaped things are panels that re part of the hard shell perimeter part of the new roof. They could be for something else. Maybe vent work for the new AC? I don’t see why they wouldn’t just use the existing ductwork that has been in place since the dome opened to distribute the cooled air, and even if they decided to install new ductwork, why would they install it now, when it wont be used for a year, when they are on a tight deadline and can’t afford to waste time on things they are not needed immediately?

So my bet is that they are part of the new roof. But I really do not know for sure.
My guess is that they might be hydraulics to get the cables to the roof so they can connect them. You can see this in motion when they did the roof at Tottenham Hotspur stadium a few years back:

View attachment 179769
Girder is almost in place. After that, 3 more to go.
Meanwhile, Walt is still helping some workers on the girders on the West side.
Pretty sure I figured out what the mysterious blue things are that appeared today on the sidewalk near the elevator annex.

I believe they are additional platforms that will be attached below the girders above them.
If you look closely, you can see a couple installed near where the northwest diagonal wall meets the north wall.

They must definitely be planning on using the platforms to help build the new roof. It looks like they wanted more platforms near where the western diagonal walls meet the north and south walls because the girders there are still too high to use the people mover basket things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom