the crane the crane | Page 191 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Q: Do we know where the new cables will attach to the superstructure?
I would assume on the hooks of the girders.

6C575582-C191-4E91-9628-8768C2F0557B.jpeg

I also believe that they will also attach where the old cables attached on the rim.

P.S. The blue things on the sidewalk Wednesday and Thursday are platforms for the crew to stand on for the second phase and some are in place as you look at this view. :)

Last edited:
longtimefan: I would ask tomcat that question. From the rendering it looks like the girders but to be sure better ask him or someone that knows the more direct and true answer.
I agree with you and Caz. The new roof will be supported by some connections to the outer ring, most mostly by the crown truss. There are a lot of places on the tops of the girders to connect cables. I have attached a picture I took of one so you can see for yourself.
A3CCD68C-8913-4770-8265-1DFDE7940A6E.jpeg

I'm confused, so much communication today. how many spirals did we get done, 2? so 2 girders and 2 spirals left?

Big white extendolift is over the building on the right... their COULD be a girder stationed there and the lift would be in the right position to just swing it into place...

Wishful thinking this early in the morning is probably not a good look...

Big white extendolift is over the building on the right... their COULD be a girder stationed there and the lift would be in the right position to just swing it into place...

Wishful thinking this early in the morning is probably not a good look...
Based on what I see from Skylar from the Link Hall camera, she has a spiral on the hook.

Hey, as long as SOMETHING is on the hook, I am encouraged. The final spiral works for me.

i cant believe we didnt start a pool on time and date of last girder install with all the time we spent watching this happen
I said March 17. Not very good on my part.

I said April 15. Also the west team. BTW, is Walt being positioned for his disassembly? His counterweight tray is being loaded and is has been moved into different position in his yard.

I said March 17. Not very good on my part.
I think I said April 15th. Though I surely jumped around some as conditions changed over time.

I wonder if they will complete it today? I hope it happens today or tomorrow. I might drive over and watch the last piece get put in place in person.

I hope that do the last spiral and then the last girder. It will be very anti climatic to do the girder first!

well the placement of the girder means its now 50/50 which goes last dont need a spiral to attach to the last one, but does it need the extra support?

I think I said April 15th. Though I surely jumped around some as conditions changed over time.

I wonder if they will complete it today? I hope it happens today or tomorrow. I might drive over and watch the last piece get put in place in person.

I hope that do the last spiral and then the last girder. It will be very anti climatic to do the girder first!
I don't think they will do the last girder first. Also when they finished the north side, they used that outline thing before they attached the girder. I am thinking Monday or Tuesday for the last girder.

I don't think they will do the last girder first. Also when they finished the north side, they used that outline thing before they attached the girder. I am thinking Monday or Tuesday for the last girder.
Good point. It will be interesting to see if they use that fixture again to line up the last girder so it fits in nicely.

I agree. It might make sense to get the final spiral in today but they are likely going to spend a lot of time getting things perfectly lined up, working with the surveyors, etc, before that last girder goes up.
Putting in the fixture would take even more time.

The question is, will they work on Sunday? Then I could see that last girder go up in person.

I am going to speculate that this job probably has bonuses for finishing ahead of certain deadlines. It might mean a significant amount of money to the people on the crew to finish before Monday. I wonder if that might come into play here?

Good point. It will be interesting to see if they use that fixture again to line up the last girder so it fits in nicely.

I agree. It might make sense to get the final spiral in today but they are likely going to spend a lot of time getting things perfectly lined up, working with the surveyors, etc, before that last girder goes up.
Putting in the fixture would take even more time.

The question is, will they work on Sunday? Then I could see that last girder go up in person.

I am going to speculate that this job probably has bonuses for finishing ahead of certain deadlines. It might mean a significant amount of money to the people on the crew to finish before Monday. I wonder if that might come into play here?
Socially distanced I hope

I wonder why walt had all the weight moved under the other side and now is pivoting to attach it? is there something secret below the camera lens.

For you mechanical engineers and architects out there (because what I know about building would not fill a thimble). Is there some concise explanation of the roller coaster truss (which I personally do not find aesthetically pleasing) and is this obviously stable in extreme weather conditions especially very high winds? Why couldn't some regular looking roof have been installed or, failing that, some symmetrical truss (which I assume is necessary to provide support for the roof type that is being installed).

I would think that if it’s not lined up now they’re in trouble. I assume they made sure all the corners were aligned so that it would be right on. Sala said that each girder had to be within 1/16 of and inch. The engineering for this kind of project is pretty amazing. I’m looking forward to watching the roof go up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom