the crane the crane | Page 194 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Alright. I can't let this lack of cool exterior lighting thing go. How shortsighted. You are going to have the unusual roller coaster on top. Why not make it iconic? Hook up something cool but tasteful, maybe even with some potential for variation when circumstances call (e.g. Empire State Building). The entire country would be aware of where they were because there was some really neat lighting that went with the rollercoaster. Do you know how many millions a university would spend to get that sort of name recognition? So shortsighted.
You should have been here weeks ago when lighting was discussed in detail. In fact it has been discussed more than once - but people need to be reminded so your post is a good one.

Huh? There will be a roof and drainage portals just like there was with the old roof. If you got wet with the old roof it must have been from beer spills.
Doesn’t the large trough that runs all around the Dome collect all the water? I always thought the drains were located there. The new roof will connect on the interior rim of the Dome not the outside wall.

For you mechanical engineers and architects out there (because what I know about building would not fill a thimble). Is there some concise explanation of the roller coaster truss (which I personally do not find aesthetically pleasing) and is this obviously stable in extreme weather conditions especially very high winds? Why couldn't some regular looking roof have been installed or, failing that, some symmetrical truss (which I assume is necessary to provide support for the roof type that is being installed).
Not sure if anyone has answered you, but I have several posts in this thread that attempt to answer your question

rainy.png

Crazy Ivan!
…..possible aspect change on target - Sonar Con Aye - possible aspect change based on bearing range.
Con,Sonar,Crazy Ivan! All Stop, Quick Quiet!
What's goin on Jonesy?
Russian captains sometimes turn suddenly to see if anyone's behind them. We call it Crazy Ivan. All you can do is go dead, shut everything down and make like a hole in the water.
What's the catch?
The catch is a boat this big doesn't stop on a dime. We're too close, we'll drift right into the back of them.

Great movie!

Last edited:
…..possible aspect change on target - Sonar Con Aye - possible aspect change based on bearing range.
Con Sonar Crazy Ivan! All Stop, Quick Quiet!
What's goin on Jonesy?
Russian captains sometimes turn suddenly to see if anyone's behind them. We call it Crazy Ivan. All you can do is go dead, shut everything down and make like a hole in the water.
What's the catch?
The catch is a boat this big doesn't stop on a dime. We're too close, we'll drift right into the back of them.

Great movie!
One of my favs. I think Connery's best.

Red October
Crimson Tide
Das Boot
U-571
Destination Tokyo
Operation Pacific
Hellcats of the Navy
Torpedo Run
Run Silent Run Deep
Up Periscope
Crash Dive
The Enemy Below.

Can't ever go wrong with a good sub movie.
How about "Do the Right Thing"? I am pretty sure Sal sold subs. :)

Weather & Wind for Monday 4/20

Maybe tomorrow is the day? The golden girder?!

51°Hi

RealFeel® 59

RealFeel Shade™ 50

Clouds giving way to sun

Wind: NNE at 6 mph

Wind Gusts: 12 mph :)

One of my favs. I think Connery's best.
I agree - he was THE RUSSIAN TYPHOON CAPTAIN. Perfect for the part. The movie was very well done all the right casting both Russian and American. Really good acting by Connery, Baldwin, Glenn, Neill. Hadme on the edge of my seat the entire movie. Sets were amazing.

Crazy Ivan!

I was at SU when this came out... some ladies promoting the movie were on campus and showed up at my fraternity house when we had a few kegs tapped on a quiet night. Fun time... I wonder whatever happened to all the free gear they left with us? Wish I could remember!

I agree - he was THE RUSSIAN TYPHOON CAPTAIN. Perfect for the part. The movie was very well done all the right casting both Russian and American. Really good acting by Connery, Baldwin, Glenn, Neill. Hadme on the edge of my seat the entire movie. Sets were amazing.
It really is a great movie and, if you are interested, it is on the Sundance Ch in Syracuse tomorrow, 4/20 at 8:00 p.m. or on demand on AMC (sans commercials?).

Okay, it is a beautiful day out in CNY. Crisp, sunny and clear. It should be an ideal day to finish the crown truss and move on to phase 1 part b.

I hope someone from SU or Hayner is going to take a high quality video as the golder girder is put into place. It would be great if there was a drone nearby to get a better perspective on the process. It would be even better if after the truss was complete, the drone then flew over the entire completed truss and gave us an up close look at the latest addition to our campus and city skyline.

Will the fixture be used?

Will the girder go up first or the spiral? I would put the spiral up first so that when it gets put in place, things are done. Pictures can be taken, champagne corks can be popped, videos streamed, virtual hugs and high fives exchanged, etc.

It would be great if SU could announce when the girder is going up, so craniacs from around CNY could converge on the site and see it in person (in a social distance, COVID-19 aware way of course). Or people interested from anywhere could just be sure to be watching the live stream when the deed is officially done.

I don't expect that. I know construction is inherently hard to predict and what they think is going to happen is not necessarily what will happen. But it would be good to at least confirm the date it is going to happen and ideally, get an approximate time out there as well.

There are a lot of people who need a diversion. Good communication on this is one of those things that will help build interest in the project and whet ticket sales. Whenever the season begins.

Why not invite the local media and have a presser on site? Why not take it as an opportunity to release some more and better drawings of what the new roof will look like from the outside and the inside? Release whatever additional details that can be released at the same time.

Promote this. It is a good opportunity that should be taken advantage of.

Wow, early start!
Glad they did the spiral first. As long as the girder is on site and ready to go, I don't see why it won't get put up today. It will probably happen before noon. If they use the fixture though, that could lead to a considerable further delay. It seemed like it took a long time to get it positioned correctly last time.

Does anyone know the plan for building the new roof?

From looking at the drawing, it looks like the entire roof hangs from the four cables that define the rectangle that define the border between the hard, opaque part of the roof and the PTFE semi translucent center part.

I am guessing that the first goal is going to be to get those four cables hung, then connected to the many cables on the crown truss, which will be tightened up to form arches that will provide the basis for the arched roof we see below.

Once the four cable based arches are in place, I think thinking they will just hang the roof from them. The hard part of the roof will be supported by the outer ring and the inner support rectangle.

Am I in any way correct on this? Anyone know?

The next question is... do the back stays come off before or after the roof goes in?

Glad they did the spiral first. As long as the girder is on site and ready to go, I don't see why it won't get put up today. It will probably happen before noon. If they use the fixture though, that could lead to a considerable further delay. It seemed like it took a long time to get it positioned correctly last time.
In my purely unprofessional opinion, I believe we will see the alignment thingy next followed by the golden girder. Can't imagine they would raise the girder and go oops when things don't quite align just right.

In my purely unprofessional opinion, I believe we will see the alignment thingy next followed by the golden girder. Can't imagine they would raise the girder and go oops when things don't quite align just right.
I believe they have surveyors up on the crown truss that work with the crew using the bendy alignment tool so they get things just right.

Now in theory, if they have done their jobs right, and the bendy alignment tool did its job, the last girder will slide into place perfectly. If not, they might need Walt to wake up from his coma and help pull the truss to make room for the last girder.

I believe they did an alignment after the last girder went up. Adding a spiral shouldn't screw the alignment up (I wouldn't think) but they might do something completely out of their routine and do another alignment before bringing the last girder up.

I am wondering about that alignment fixture and whether it might be brought into play here. Anyone know if it was kept on site? Anyone see it laying around the last couple of months? I haven't been on site since the last home basketball game. I didn't see it then but I didn't make an extensive survey of the storage areas. It could easily be sitting in the back of the Hendricks Field storage area.