the crane the crane | Page 195 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

The next question is... do the back stays come off before or after the roof goes in?
Completely theoretical: I've been wondering, if they untethered the truss from the backstays before the final girder was attached, would the truss have any structural integrity at all, or would it instantly cave in? I'm guessing it would do a slow inward bend, but have some support from the nearly completed oval.

Completely theoretical: I've been wondering, if they untethered the truss from the backstays before the final girder was attached, would the truss have any structural integrity at all, or would it instantly cave in? I'm guessing it would do a slow inward bend, but have some support from the nearly completed oval.
I agree with this. It is definitely not something you would want to test in real life though!

I would guess that if they are going to use cranes outside the dome to help build the roof, it will be important to get the backstays down ASAP. They would be in the way all the time and greatly complicate matters for the cranes trying to do work.

If all the work will be done with cranes inside. it probably won't be as important to take the backstays down quickly.

My guess is that they will need all hands on deck to get the project done in time for the scheduled first game (they have to assume that the season will not be delayed), and they will use cranes outside the dome to help out. If for no other reason than to get material or people up on the crown truss near where they need to be. There might be pieces of the roof too big to fit through the entrance inside the dome through stadium control as well. Work near the outer right is probably going to be easier to do from the outside.

It looks like Skylar has the golden spike on the hook now. Probably will be visible pretty soon!

Last edited:
Its just another example of how to promote the project that was lost.. some simple presentation of how its gonna be done.

they should have done some behind the scenes filming for show to air on the ACC network given the need for content.. a 10 episode show called "The Last Dome" to air before Jordan one to build up the audience for that one..

Red October
Crimson Tide
Das Boot
U-571
Destination Tokyo
Operation Pacific
Hellcats of the Navy
Torpedo Run
Run Silent Run Deep
Up Periscope
Crash Dive
The Enemy Below.

Can't ever go wrong with a good sub movie.

You left out “Operation Petticoat”.
;)

I agree - he was THE RUSSIAN TYPHOON CAPTAIN. Perfect for the part. The movie was very well done all the right casting both Russian and American. Really good acting by Connery, Baldwin, Glenn, Neill. Hadme on the edge of my seat the entire movie. Sets were amazing.

Was George Dzundza in that movie or am I thinking of a different one?

Its just another example of how to promote the project that was lost.. some simple presentation of how its gonna be done.

they should have done some behind the scenes filming for show to air on the ACC network given the need for content.. a 10 episode show called "The Last Dome" to air before Jordan one to build up the audience for that one..
Maybe they are. There is a distinct lack of programming that is Syracuse related on the ACCN. This would be a unique documentary that I think would interest a lot of people. It would be an awesome surprise.

Should be done. Legendary sportscaster Keith Jackson (Whoa Nelly ) said the Carrier Dome atmosphere was totally different then other domes. In a positive way. A dome special would be nice.

I am wondering about that alignment fixture and whether it might be brought into play here. Anyone know if it was kept on site? Anyone see it laying around the last couple of months? I haven't been on site since the last home basketball game. I didn't see it then but I didn't make an extensive survey of the storage areas. It could easily be sitting in the back of the Hendricks Field storage area.

Yep, it was at Kennedy Square with the last two girders, they're going to use it to create space for the last girder, slowly release it and get the bolts into place before letting the whole truss compress.

Yep, it was at Kennedy Square with the last two girders, they're going to use it to create space for the last girder, slowly release it and get the bolts into place before letting the whole truss compress.
The fixture is like a giant shoe tree that is capable of stretching the gap between the girders?

is the case, I wonder if it is possible that the truss will not be completed today? That sounds like it will be difficult to get set up.

has to a reason they started so early though other than getting to the golf courses

I wonder how much that gadget weighs? we saw the small cranes do spirals before, maybe the small crane can handle it enough that Skylar can prep the last girder?

I wonder how much that gadget weighs? we saw the small cranes do spirals before, maybe the small crane can handle it enough that Skylar can prep the last girder?
I can't imagine it would weigh more than a spiral, which we know a number of the smaller cranes can handle. So yes, I would expect another crane could lift the fixture-thing-that-looks-like-a-black-soccer-goal-without-the-net.

Skylar dropped whatever she was lifting and is just hanging around now. Not sure what they was all about. Until I see the mini cranes with the orange base and the people baskets on them (Bill knows the industry name, I forgot it), up and clustered around the crown truss, I do not think anything is imminent.

Okay, it is a beautiful day out in CNY. Crisp, sunny and clear. It should be an ideal day to finish the crown truss and move on to phase 1 part b.

I hope someone from SU or Hayner is going to take a high quality video as the golder girder is put into place. It would be great if there was a drone nearby to get a better perspective on the process. It would be even better if after the truss was complete, the drone then flew over the entire completed truss and gave us an up close look at the latest addition to our campus and city skyline.

Will the fixture be used?

Will the girder go up first or the spiral? I would put the spiral up first so that when it gets put in place, things are done. Pictures can be taken, champagne corks can be popped, videos streamed, virtual hugs and high fives exchanged, etc.

It would be great if SU could announce when the girder is going up, so craniacs from around CNY could converge on the site and see it in person (in a social distance, COVID-19 aware way of course). Or people interested from anywhere could just be sure to be watching the live stream when the deed is officially done.

I don't expect that. I know construction is inherently hard to predict and what they think is going to happen is not necessarily what will happen. But it would be good to at least confirm the date it is going to happen and ideally, get an approximate time out there as well.

There are a lot of people who need a diversion. Good communication on this is one of those things that will help build interest in the project and whet ticket sales. Whenever the season begins.

Why not invite the local media and have a presser on site? Why not take it as an opportunity to release some more and better drawings of what the new roof will look like from the outside and the inside? Release whatever additional details that can be released at the same time.

Promote this. It is a good opportunity that should be taken advantage of.
Ummm…. everyone at SU marketing and media relations has read your post and are on their phones trying to catch up with your suggestions especially PS. We'll definitely find out soon whether or not they are up to
your plans. if they don't do a media event like you suggest they are IMO not accepting this as a unique part of this entire project and losing exposure to it because they weren't prepared. I think Wildhack more than Sala remembering his WOW factor comments could have done this all by himself.

Last edited:
Ummm…. everyone at SU marketing and media relations has read your post and are on their phones trying to catch up with your suggestions especially PS. we'll definitely find out soon whether or not they are up to
your plans.
Will we see what happens. To be fair to them, this is an extraordinarily hard time to get stuff done.

That said, this is a pretty significant moment for the sports programs and athletic department at SU. I hope it gets captured in an appropriate way.

Will we see what happens. To be fair to them, this is an extraordinarily hard time to get stuff done.

That said, this is a pretty significant moment for the sports programs and athletic department at SU. I hope it gets captured in an appropriate way.
You would think so wouldn't you?

Tom, fair comment about this troublesome time. However, like you have said in the past, there should have been a nice mock up for ticket sales before this thing even broke wide open. If history were to repeat itself, I'd bet we'd be in the same exact spot minus the pandemic.

I check in every few days and it seems we've been stuck one piece away for a while. What's the status?

One piece left
There were 2 pieces left when things left off on Saturday. They added the final spiral early this morning. Only a girder remains. It is not clear what the hold up is now.

The line for Skylar is being lowered (slowly) right now. Might mean something is going to finally happen soon.

Last edited:
Tom, fair comment about this troublesome time. However, like you have said in the past, there should have been a nice mock up for ticket sales before this thing even broke wide open. If history were to repeat itself, I'd bet we'd be in the same exact spot minus the pandemic.
I have to believe there isn't a ton to report on the local news. One would thing having some hard news to report would get a lot of press coverage. A lot.

Hopefully the TV stations and newspaper cover this, regardless of whether SU pushes it or not.

Perhaps the university and media don't feel that the last girder is a news event worthy of exposing people to the virus. The university could have a single camera to record the event and then disseminate it to the media.