the crane the crane | Page 205 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

The template used as a guide to insert the GG has been removed by Skylar and the TBL is lowering to end the day for that crew.

Walt is continuing in reverse - too bad we can't see more of that situation - while Skylar continues to hold the template in the air.

The forward end of the latticed boom is being lowered I would expect onto the ties due to it's weight

OR whatever they have to support the boom that is out of our view. :rolleyes:

Now the boom is being raised again and at this moment is completely parallel with the yard floor.

The only thing in view of Walt due to the crop is part of his lattice lower boom.

The funny looking four wheeled fork lift has a pile of ties that may be to support the front end of the boom. The forklift driver laid them on top of the main yard ties in a two tie stack. Th crew seem to be waiting for another load of ties to keep the boom supported and higher off the ground - yup there he is with more support looks like four high now

….and away to get more now stacked four high the width of the boom

...and the boom has now ben lowered onto the stack taking I suppose some of the tension off the boom's support cables and is now in a position to be further disassembled.

The smaller yellow crane in Walt's yard and the white crane outside of it were previously performing crane exercises but booms have now been fully retracted for the night. Up Forestry the TBLS are resting comfortably and the crews have started for their cars to go home/hotel/ wherever. Craniacs it's getting near time for dinner. Have a wonderful evening everyone.

Did we ever get a solution to the 81 690 tunnel/grid discussion?

no sunset.png

Per a quick google search: “No one seems to know exactly when or how it started, but the tradi- tion of 'Topping Out' has become a cherished custom of Ironworkers whenever the skeleton of a bridge or building is completed. Topping Out is a signal that the uppermost steel member is going into place, that the structure has reached its height.
I’ve been to a few. A topping out ceremony is supposed to be when the highest piece of the superstructure goes in. It goes back to timber framing and is supposed to be the tallest piece of structure. The tree is from an old belief that nature, or god should be the highest thing on a structure, a bit like the Tower of Babel or the old rule in Philly that no building should be higher than Billy Penn. Nowadays it’s the last piece and not the tallest (despite the name) and many times is specifically planned to be placed where it can be seen. Obviously, the tree is eventually removed.

I’ve been to a few. A topping out ceremony is supposed to be when the highest piece of the superstructure goes in. It goes back to timber framing and is supposed to be the tallest piece of structure. The tree is from an old belief that nature, or god should be the highest thing on a structure, a bit like the Tower of Babel or the old rule in Philly that no building should be higher than Billy Penn. Nowadays it’s the last piece and not the tallest (despite the name) and many times is specifically planned to be placed where it can be seen. Obviously, the tree is eventually removed.
Hey NJCuse97, any insights or informed speculation on how they are going to put the new roof up? I was thinking those four diagonal cables are going to be the first thing they put up and serve as the foundation for the roof.

Am I close?

In today’s PS they said the next thing to do is to remove all of the exterior steel before they start the roof.

Probably a silly question, but who does inspections on this type of work. For example, if I was to add an addition to my house the town building inspector would have to come check certain things and sign off. Does the city have an expert for this type of commercial construction on staff or do they hire some type of consultant?

In today’s PS they said the next thing to do is to remove all of the exterior steel before they start the roof.
It looks to me as though they are focusing for now on installing ladders on the platforms under the crown truss that allow workers to easily climb up and down from the girders.

They have moved most of the new blue platform bases. Not sure if they are distributed around the perimeter of the building or if they went to a storage location.

No sign of anyone taking down the back stays yet. They stopped cleaning up the spiral collars and the cables attached to them fairly late in the process of building the crown truss. They need to get those off too.

There are cranes inside the dome that have been distributing stuff the last couple of days. No idea what that stuff is but I would guess it is probably material needed to construct the roof.

Anyone know what the long grey rectangular boxes (they look like boxes) are that are under the stairs for Gate B, near Stadium Control?

Last edited:
Probably a silly question, but who does inspections on this type of work. For example, if I was to add an addition to my house the town building inspector would have to come check certain things and sign off. Does the city have an expert for this type of commercial construction on staff or do they hire some type of consultant?

They bring in the guy who inspects the rides at the Fair.