the crane the crane | Page 203 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Apparently that is a thing that steelworkers do on the final piece of construction as a topper or something.

Per a quick google search: “No one seems to know exactly when or how it started, but the tradi- tion of 'Topping Out' has become a cherished custom of Ironworkers whenever the skeleton of a bridge or building is completed. Topping Out is a signal that the uppermost steel member is going into place, that the structure has reached its height.

Per a quick google search: “No one seems to know exactly when or how it started, but the tradi- tion of 'Topping Out' has become a cherished custom of Ironworkers whenever the skeleton of a bridge or building is completed. Topping Out is a signal that the uppermost steel member is going into place, that the structure has reached its height.
Close enough in our case...#rollercoaster life

Wouldn’t it be smart to let Walt hang around for a few weeks just in case something unexpected comes up? Those spirals look like toothpicks holding up the girders... what could possibly go wrong? Or at least wait until all the back stays are off?

I think gravity will more or less do its thing as the backstays are removed. Though there's probably more to it than that; I wonder if there's some strategic order to their removal.
I've ruminated on this too. I wonder if they will slowly release tension on all of them simultaneously.

Wouldn’t it be smart to let Walt hang around for a few weeks just in case something unexpected comes up? Those spirals look like toothpicks holding up the girders... what could possibly go wrong? Or at least wait until all the back stays are off?

If something big/unexpected were to happen now, we'd need a lot more than a single crane.

STOP with the cutting out. I was absurdly livid yesterday. Don't get me mad again! lol

hulk angry.gif

With the wind today, I'm really surprised that Skylar isn't knuckled down.
If you take a look now Skylar has his nose to the pavement. And you are correct about the wind sustained @ 22 gusts to 48mph.

AGAIN with cutting out before the money shot!!! What the what?!?!???!!!
That's a clipped piece. Go to the cuse.com link in post #5059 for a longer video. It's actually very satisfying (even though I would have preferred to see it in real time)

That's a clipped piece. Go to the cuse.com link in post #5059 for a longer video. It's actually very satisfying (even though I would have preferred to see it in real time)
Nice that they got that in on a chamber of commerce day, not a cloud in the sky

I just want to say that they did a good job with the video linked on that site. I have criticized HH and SU for not doing enough to showcase this project. This was a step in the right direction. It could have been longer and more professionally done, but they had a drone or two and a couple of different angles.

Good work peeps. It is appreciated.

Thank you orlando for the replay :). It was finally seen by these tired eyes just now due to the lame brain who screwed the pooch with the camera and left us nothing to look at as history was made.

Last edited:
I just want to say that they did a good job with the video linked on that site. I have criticized HH and SU for not doing enough to showcase this project. This was a step in the right direction. It could have been longer and more professionally done, but they had a drone or two and a couple of different angles.

Good work peeps. It is appreciated.
It was good work, but I am one of those who thinks they moved the Lawrinson cam on purpose so they could have this scoop.

You can also see that the device created inches of space to get that last girder in and it went in pretty slick.

Okay, I took a look. It appears the bastards have scalped Walt and are gutting him. Can't someone stop them? Where are the police when you need them?

Skylar has her hand buried in the pavement. She can't watch.

Meanwhile, their children cranes are frolicking along inside the dome, completely unaware of their dad's demise. It is a hell of a thing.

Seriously, it is still windy and cold and CNY got some snow last night. It was coming down hard and sideways when I woke up. The wind finally abates tomorrow, which is when I think we might see more progress from the outside.

Any work being done now is going on inside. Looking forward to see the interiors cameras. There are going to be streaming cameras placed inside the dome, right? Anybody?

Last edited: