the crane the crane

Walt, we hardly knew ye

1587906900517.png

SU Craniacs: Walt! Where are you?

Walt: Money talks.

SU Craniacs: We can give you more work.

Walt: I need a challenge.

SU Craniacs: We love you, Walt.

Walt: (takes the money and runs, like a hired gun...trucks of into the sunset)

SU Craniacs: Who???

hopefully once the major work on the inside starts we can get a camera in there(couldnt they attach a temp camera where announcers usually announce relatively easily?)

It has been pretty quiet the last couple of days.

Big focus on dismantling Walt, which appears done, or close to done.

I see a bunch of the electric blue platforms have been installed under the crown truss. Most appear to have been installed on the south side of the crown truss. I will speculate that perhaps that side might be where they initially focus construction of the new roof.

The blue platforms are pretty small. I continue to think they will serve as a staging area to store cables, perhaps tools and other parts needed. The crown truss is really sloped and exposed and I don't think you can leave anything on it and expect it to stay.

I am pretty sure they have been building ladders on the bigger grey platforms to make access to the top of the crown truss, where the cables that will support the roof will be attached to the crown truss.

It was reported that the next step is to removing the back stays and all the supporting cables that held the crown truss in place while it was being built. I haven't seen any work started on that yet but maybe it is happened in a place I can't see.

I haven't seen much evidence of a build up of significant material for the roof yet. Little in the way of trucks driving into the stadium loaded with material. Little in the way of trucks driving up to the stadium looking to deliver material.

You can see cranes moving stuff around inside the stadium pretty regularly but I can't see what they are moving. I think the actual building of the roof starts with those four cables that form the diamond. Maybe they are staging those cables and getting that ready to go?

I hope Skylar is given something to do. She looks depressed. I am worried about her.

Last edited:

Maybe instead of Walt we should have named him Zach.

I haven't seen much evidence of a build up of significant material for the roof yet. Little in the way of trucks driving into the stadium loaded with material. Little in the way of trucks driving up to the stadium looking to deliver material.

You can see cranes moving stuff around inside the stadium pretty regularly but I can't see what they are moving. I think the actual building of the roof starts with those four cables that form the diamond. Maybe they are staging those cables and getting that ready to go?

I hope Skylar is given something to do. She looks depressed. I am worried about her.

There are dozens of big rolls of something in the Hendricks Field staging area, closest to the northwest corner by Sadler and Lawrinson. Kind of like the silage rolls you'd see on a farm, but not so big. Similar plastic wrapping. I think they either say "Made in Canada" or "Made in Italy" but there's not much else to identify them. My guess is that they're roof material.

There are dozens of big rolls of something in the Hendricks Field staging area, closest to the northwest corner by Sadler and Lawrinson. Kind of like the silage rolls you'd see on a farm, but not so big. Similar plastic wrapping. I think they either say "Made in Canada" or "Made in Italy" but there's not much else to identify them. My guess is that they're roof material.
I think I remember the video that was out about the cables. They were manufactured in Italy I am pretty sure. Maybe that's what those rolls are.

Do you think they might be rolls of a semi translucent fiberglass fabric (i.e. PTFE)?

The one drawing shows the material as beige colored but I am pretty sure the air supported fabric roofs was all beige to start and got bleached white by the sun.

I think I remember the video that was out about the cables. They were manufactured in Italy I am pretty sure. Maybe that's what those rolls are.

Nice, that makes sense.

I don't usually have a phone on my walks, but what I really wanted a picture of the other day was when I rounded the corner by Sadler and both Dome garage doors were open. It was really cool to look in and see straight through to the grandstand sitting there in the brilliant outdoor sunshine.

Do you think they might be rolls of a semi translucent fiberglass fabric (i.e. PTFE)?

The one drawing shows the material as beige colored but I am pretty sure the air supported fabric roofs was all beige to start and got bleached white by the sun.

Definitely could be, but rolls of cable are also a possibility. That's correct about the bleaching.

Yeah, the cable was made by Raedelli Cable hq'd in Milan...their manufacturing plants are in northern Italy where they had the worst of the Covid outbreak. At least that's what was said in one of the videos on the dome project site. Their posted projects are impressive...

Why is there smoke coming out of the Carrier Dome?
And what are the names of Walt and Skylar's Crane kids who are running around and lifting those people up to the crown truss? They do good work and one day will grow into a full grown crane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom