the crane the crane | Page 221 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

As mentioned, the article is dated January, 28, 2020. Yes, Musco can brighten/dim their lights and remotely. Changing the 'Color Temperature' is not the same as brightening/dimming...hence, the Warm1, Warm2, Cool1, Cool2, etc. reference, which their fixture is exclusive in that regard as well as the beam focus, future proof, etc.
I know what color temperature means. And yes, you can get a $20 light fixture at Home Depot that is a white LED bulb with temperature adjustment that goes from more blue on one end to more yellow at the other end.
I acknowledge that the Ephesus fixtures are likely more advanced than this, but the basic technology is the same.
Sala's comments (he also said that Ephesus actually has the LED in the fixture?) made it seem that he doesn't know the basics of LED lighting. Maybe he just doesn't know how to verbalize his thoughts well.

You don,t want to say and then you state "but unless I'm misunderstanding what he's saying, he comes across as an easily-impressed lighting simpleton." My dealings and impression of Peter Sala differ greatly from your unopinion opinion!
Fair enough. Like I said, maybe I misunderstood, but his comments in that article don't hint at a basic knowledge of what's available in LED lighting. Maybe he dumbed it down for the article.

With fear of piling on:

Color temperature is essentially the measure of blue to yellow light on the spectrum and it affects the way we see other colors, and has nothing to do with actual temperature.
There are countless studies on light color, healing ability, diurnal cycles, awareness, circadian rhythm, etc. blue light energizes and yellow relaxes. I have been involved with some of this in healthcare design.

Blue light shows other colors more true to their hue and yellow is typically considered more flattering (why we like incandescent light over fluorescent light, especially when looking in a mirror). It's a bit like the Moody Blues' "Knights in White Satin" where a narrator describes the moonlight removing color from our sight, red is grey and yellow white.
It is measured in Kelvins and incandescent or warm light is typically in the 2700 K-3000 K range. The higher the number, the "cooler" the light. Historically, it is difficult for LEDs to achieve pleasing warm tones, but there is great improvement and we are now accepting 3000 K LEDs as comparable to incandescent bulbs. My understanding is that TV cameras prefer whiter or truer color render (cooler color temps) but with our eyes, we do not. I may be off on this, as I don't work in a lot of TV studios (none really).
But we decide
Which is right
And
Which is an Illusion

Although I don't think you do it intentionally, it strikes me as at least quasi-insulting to imply that all of the posters making guesses "have no real clue."
We have very well informed subject matter experts here. And I think they’re confident and secure in what they bring to this discussion such that they won’t be insulted by sarcasm and hyperbole.

if I was quasi insulting anyone - it’s the SU public relations arm for this project. Are the final renderings and schematics for the roof locked away in Area 51?

looks like a poisonous Elapid snake tried to swallow a cable over night..

We seldom ever get snow here in Charlotte, well at least not enough to make any difference, but that's pretty cool (pun intended). :) I'm not sure if I'd do that even if we did get snow here, those 2W LED path light bulbs for my particular "Unique" brand lighting are about $35 - $40 each. The uplight LED's I have range from 4W to 8W and are even more coin. :)
I agree, LEDs are costly and they have come down in cost considerably. The pitch I have heard (and made) is that the buyer needs to look at lifecycle cost, not up front cost. The LED will use less energy and the fixture (LEDs are technically not "bulbs") will need far less replacing than an incandescent does, like 3:1 or 4:1 so over the life of the fixture, the $5 bulb is $20 and the energy savings should balance the rest of the cost. At least that's the pitch. In the case of The Dome or the IPF, there is also a savings in changing the bulbs which represents risk, equipment rentals, and facility down time. This was one of the reasons for the old traditional sodium lights for street lamps, metal halide lights, etc. Trouble with them is it take 30 minutes for them to warm up and they are typically very cold in color temp.

in my home world the LEDs last about 1/10 the time and at 2-3x the cost.. been a big money sync.. lights that were lasting yrs with a bulb now get replaced multiple times a yr.
I experience the opposite. In particular I have recessed 60 watt floods. Incandescent burned out all the time. Now with LED I rarely change them and I like they don't heat up.

could be but a house that is 20 yrs old and effecting different lights but plug in and wired and also see the same issues in the work offices.. We support the campus down here in lighting issues and seeing it all over there too.

We have very well informed subject matter experts here. And I think they’re confident and secure in what they bring to this discussion such that they won’t be insulted by sarcasm and hyperbole.

if I was quasi insulting anyone - it’s the SU public relations arm for this project. Are the final renderings and schematics for the roof locked away in Area 51?
No the second gunman on the grassy knoll ran off with them. :p

Dome.jpg

I think that picture was taken where I added an orange X.

Looks like they have done a lot of work getting the cables laid out.

Looks like the aluminum benches have been stacked on the top couple of rows of seats.

You can really see the blue platforms here. Since they are being attached inside the girders, you can't see them from from Lawrinson.

It appears they have a ladder in place on one of the spirals on the far right, so you can climb from the ring surrounding the building up to that little platform and then straight up to the girder. Cool.

Is that additional steel that you can see along the bottom of the ring at the top of the stands? I do not remember seeing those two rows of what I presume are dark metal before? What is the purpose of these?

View attachment 180916

I think that picture was taken where I added an orange X.

Looks like they have done a lot of work getting the cables laid out.

Looks like the aluminum benches have been stacked on the top couple of rows of seats.

You can really see the blue platforms here. Since they are being attached inside the girders, you can't see them from from Lawrinson.

It appears they have a ladder in place on one of the spirals on the far right, so you can climb from the ring surrounding the building up to that little platform and then straight up to the girder. Cool.

Is that additional steel that you can see along the bottom of the ring at the top of the stands? I do not remember seeing those two rows of what I presume are dark metal before? What is the purpose of these?
Wondering how old that interior bowl picture is? I agree with your "X" placement and I believe I can see part of Walt in the distance.

I think its the next section over is my guess. You can see the duct work on either side of the 50 and then one more tunnel at the bottom of the picture

Wondering how old that interior bowl picture is? I agree with your "X" placement and I believe I can see part of Walt in the distance.
It looks like Walt is knuckled down there. Has to be at least a week ago. I noticed those things on the stands that are apparently cables a couple of weeks ago but it would have just been the materials that were installed to keep the cables off the concrete. I would guess 10-14 days ago.

Definitely looks like an older picture from when Walt was still here.

so speaking of upgrades.. could they install some upstairs doors and then use the cranes like an elevator ride up the outside to get in? I figure like $5 a ride for singles or families. it would be like the elevators in the big high rises that have outdoor elevators like the CN tower..

so speaking of upgrades.. could they install some upstairs doors and then use the cranes like an elevator ride up the outside to get in? I figure like $5 a ride for singles or families. it would be like the elevators in the big high rises that have outdoor elevators like the CN tower..
They’d have to build a third concourse and that ain’t happening sally.

in my home world the LEDs last about 1/10 the time and at 2-3x the cost.. been a big money sync.. lights that were lasting yrs with a bulb now get replaced multiple times a yr.
You may be using them incorrectly. For example, if you are using them with a dimmer, the bulbs have to be compatible with dimmer switches and the dimmer switch has to be specific to LED lighting. LEDs don't like fluctuations in voltage, so if you have loose connections or a poor electricity source, it can cause early burnout. Finally, you may have to update your fixtures.

If I did my research correctly, the new lighting company has a 20 or 25 year warranty on the product.

could be but a house that is 20 yrs old and effecting different lights but plug in and wired and also see the same issues in the work offices.. We support the campus down here in lighting issues and seeing it all over there too.

Our house is less than 2 years old and every single light is an LED, as well as all the outside lights. So far we have not replaced a single bulb or light. Just awesome, IMO.

Admittedly I have not been watching the live stream as much recently but did anyone notice when the topper tree and flags came down?

To me it looks like some backstays are starting to get removed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom