the crane the crane | Page 219 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

I agree with the assertion that Pete is not the best public communicator. I think some see him as a sort of Norman Schwarzkopf Jr. type.

That said, I don't believe the rigid roof is to be supported by the crown truss or cables. I believe there will be a truss system internal that will support the rigid portion and the cables/crown truss will support the center portion (2/3 of the roof according to the article). I don't recall where, but in an earlier article (or maybe the same article before a trim was done) it made mention of "bridge trusses" and I take that to mean what I am referring to.
Interesting.

I have heard the new roof will look quite a bit different than the drawings released to date and that there is an internal truss system to support the hard shell part of the roof.

The only example given to understand how it will work was Sala's reference of Manley. Do you have any examples of buildings that might have a similar setup for the roof? Is this a truly unique solution?

There is an annual projection arts fesitival helad in Binghamton every year called Luma. Always thought it was a travelling event, but apparently they converge on Binghamton for some reason every year. It features some impressive light shows projected on the sides of iconic architecture with fairly standard equipment. These are the types of effects I would expect to be available in the Dome:

There is an annual projection arts fesitival helad in Binghamton every year called Luma. Always thought it was a travelling event, but apparently they converge on Binghamton for some reason every year. It features some impressive light shows projected on the sides of iconic architecture with fairly standard equipment. These are the types of effects I would expect to be available in the Dome:

This is an amazing event! If they have it this year I strongly encourage ANYONE to come down and check it out!!

The recent 1:05 P.M. Orangezoo Purdue pre - game light show and others - all that very cool glitz, computer glamour, would be forgotten or embarrassing for me if we then lost to any team by 20 points and we do not very often, but what the hell, we are in a different era started by the computer / cell phone age driven by the jr. - high and high school crowd.

The recruits, as long as the schools academics are great, ARE impressed by ALL THAT JAZZ and like it or not you are competing on a stage with high major schools that have it all and more than SU.

Of course the haves – state schools like Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc., with wells of cash from state funding, and wealthy donors are first in line to get the 4 and 5 star athletes due to great records, location, with many schools in the best recruiting areas.

To even be in the ACC, SU has no recourse but to update to be competitive 1. because of an outdated Dome and 2. all the competition. I don't think SU is used to this and is trying like hell to catch up but doesn't have the best people communicating the current project. John Wildhack IS a fan first individual. I have mentioned this before but if he ran the Dome and was the AD we'd have had a camera inside maybe two by now.

Those whose rhetoric is excusing the more modern football / basketball fare “ I'd play in a cow pasture as long as we were winning” have their opinion but I don't believe we are going backwards or stopping here. Ephesus vs. Mussco, there will be even more bells and whistles. They are clearly both excellent sources for sports lighting indoors and out, light shows and stadiums to parking lots and airports.

So you live with that and hope to create the best Dome you can with all the interior and exterior splendor you can with the funding you have.

Gotta try and keep up. Dino is THE coach – give him all the stage props and let them go. He's finally got the coaching, IMO, post renovations he has to win!

The whole point is that we are a private school with a damn good rep no matter what others think about the Dome.

How many 30K+ games has their school hosted? I for one am proud to be an alum of SU. You don't have to like how the renovation is going or whether the lighting is going to be good. It will be great and bring SU into the modern era. We are better than you think. Have you ever looked at tomcats close to his posts and paid attention. Not many other schools have those stats. Sign another McNabb or Graves or McPherson and you have the start of another run of winning seasons to go along with the lights and roof. Not a bad combination if you can.

Interesting.

I have heard the new roof will look quite a bit different than the drawings released to date and that there is an internal truss system to support the hard shell part of the roof.

The only example given to understand how it will work was Sala's reference of Manley. Do you have any examples of buildings that might have a similar setup for the roof? Is this a truly unique solution?
I'll find you some

This is an amazing event! If they have it this year I strongly encourage ANYONE to come down and check it out!!

Now this is the kind of info that makes it worth reading 219 pages! Thanks, guys, never heard of this but it sounds like a cool event. Nirchi's and projection arts - sounds like a road trip I'd be interested in!

I didn't think this is lighting but this is the type of thing I would agree can be a big deal and makes a difference. Lighting and colors aren't that different from the two companies. Projection though is a different ball game. That said my guess is that it would be much harder to do this given we aren't just a basketball facility. You have to project over a much larger space. Again if it was possible it's worth the money. Orange and blue are colors that pop - just watch Florida's intro.

I’d love to be able to do something like that.

I’d love to be able to do something like that.
I have posted links about this in this thread before, but just so everyone is clear, thsee projection systems are completely different and unrelated to the LED systems Musco and Ephesus make to liget athletic arenas.

The company that does this (last I knew, there is just one), is Quince Imaging. I am guessing if this ever happens in Syracuse, it will be a phase 2 or phase 3 thing. No question it, coupled with the ability to dim the LED lights for the show and bring them back up immediately afterwards, would be a true game changer and a compelling reason to attend games in person.

Imagine a show like this one, only better, because Syracuse is of course much more big time than Gainesville. In front of 35K. That would be awesome.

I have posted links about this in this thread before, but just so everyone is clear, thsee projection systems are completely different and unrelated to the LED systems Musco and Ephesus make to liget athletic arenas.

The company that does this (last I knew, there is just one), is Quince Imaging. I am guessing if this ever happens in Syracuse, it will be a phase 2 or phase 3 thing. No question it, coupled with the ability to dim the LED lights for the show and bring them back up immediately afterwards, would be a true game changer and a compelling reason to attend games in person.

Imagine a show like this one, only better, because Syracuse is of course much more big time than Gainesville. In front of 35K. That would be awesome.

I figured someone had already presented this and apologies for being a little lazy and not hunting for it. Also makes sense it has no relationship to the lighting contract. It would be a game changer for sure especially if it could be scaled to the football field and the hoops court.

Silos, politics, Peter Principle, you name it.

Also, I think there's been a long delay in realizing the inherent incompatibility between higher education and big-money athletics. There were micro problems for decades, but only recently (under the last two ADs) has there been this level of institutional tension, I think. Gross worked within the structural impediments with some obvious limitations, but Coyle and Wildhack have pushed back against why those impediments even exist.

Which brings them around to the first sentence of problems, I imagine.
Sala is WAY out of his league on this and I think most know it.

Now this is the kind of info that makes it worth reading 219 pages! Thanks, guys, never heard of this but it sounds like a cool event. Nirchi's and projection arts - sounds like a road trip I'd be interested in!

Not to derail the thread, but something similar was held at the former Buffalo State Asylum a few years back. Would be really cool to see a similar festival held at SU.

1588735058315.png

Interesting.

1588735941700.png

Here you go.

Now, how much will anyone truly be able to notice, who knows, I'd imagine that's up to one's particular eyes and attention to detail? Perhaps, this may be a good analogy. You go into Best Buy and side by side you have to beautiful 65" HDTV's. When comparing them, it doesn't take you too long to determine which picture quality is superior, although both are really nice. You ultimately decide to go with the slightly lessor quality pic since once it's in your home and not side by side it won't really matter that much. :)

This fixture is the only one of its kind. ... The fixture has the LEDs in the fixture and they have ways to tone the white light.
They are the only company that uses a special color temperature feature that can be adjusted. Allowing the user to switch intensity of whites to warmer hues. All of which can be done at the touch of a button.

I'm not a lighting expert and I don't want to say anything bad about Mr. Sala, but unless I'm misunderstanding what he's saying, he comes across as an easily-impressed lighting simpleton. You can walk into any hardware store and buy off-the-shelf LED fixtures that allow you to adjust tone, hues, intensity, etc. from an app on your phone.

Last edited:
I was bored and wanted to learn more about Musco Lighting so I went to YouTube and just watched about an hour of random projects they have done on auto play and came away pretty damn impressed and excited. Also if it's good enough for Alabama to use it for their football stadium I think it will just fine for Syracuse. So if anyone wants to learn more about Musco Lighting I suggest doing what I did.

Let's talk about the article Chris Carlson wrote yesterday on the renovation project. We have mostly ignored it up to now.

Here it is, in case you haven't read it yet:

Some thoughts on some of the major points Chris makes...

“Well, I think that we’re hoping, the way the schedule is laid out now, mid-July you should start seeing that next part of the roof going on, the actual structure,” Sala said. “That needs to go very quickly in order for us to start hanging lights and sound and video underneath it. That is really scheduled tight.”

I am very much surprised the actual structure is not expected to take shape until July. I have a great deal of trouble understanding the version of English Pete Sala speaks, and am not 100% sure what he is attempting to say here. I can't imagine nothing will go up until mid-July. I think based on his other attempts at providing insight later in the article, the plan is to get the cables that will form the backbone for the new roof up beforehand, get the framework for the roof in place first and hold off on actually building the roof until July.

“There will be a hard-deck roof that goes up a little over the first-third of the roof. It’ll look a little like the Manley Field House roof,” Sala said. “That will be a good example of that. Then there will be a fabric roof for the last two-thirds.”

It is disappointing that primary spokesperson for the project is so incapable of explaining what is goiung to happen with the project. I am not sure if he is just completely inarticulate or he just doesn't understand what he is being asked to explain. Either way, it is not good. Is it possible to get someone in front of the press who is capable of communicating in a clear and straghtforward fashion?

“What they should see soon, as early as mid-to-late (this) week, is they’ll see some of that rust-colored steel starting to come down,” Sala said. “Right now we’re working on the rest of the railing around the crown truss and the catwalk that goes all the way around that part of the structure. They’ll see some work on the inside through the webcam of the new cable starting to get laid out, maybe some of them getting hooked up to the old points of the building. You’ll see these blue boxes. People keep asking me what they are. That’s the scaffolding for Pfeifer FabriTec for the steelworkers to get in to connect the new cables to the new truss.”

I have been watching on the cameras and haven't seen any progress towards removing the back stays to date. Again, I am surprised at what looks like a distinct lack of urgency since the crown truss was completed. It looks like they are adding hand rails to the other side of the tops of the girders as a safety feature.

I keep seeing workers stationed at the end point of the back stays, where the cables are attached, for long periods. It looks like they are doing something and I have been hoping to see the cables get released but to date, I haven't seen any progress.

It is good to see that the purpose for the blue scaffolding has been confirmed.

“We aren’t planning on (a webcam) right now,” Sala said. “It’s not something we’ve done on any construction site at Syracuse University. We don’t put web cameras inside the buildings. Not a huge fan.”

I will give Pete credit for one thing. He is consistent. He has never cared what fans think and that has clearly not changed.
Burn.jpg

I'm not a lighting expert and I don't want to say anything bad about Mr. Sala, but unless I'm misunderstanding what he's saying, he comes across as an easily-impressed lighting simpleton. You can walk into any hardware store and buy off-the-shelf LED fixtures that allow you to adjust tone, hues, intensity, etc. from an app on your phone.
When you’ve spent your whole career dealing with lights that hum and take forever to come Back up, you get excited.
I work on a terrible dos system at work all day. When I get something modern To play with on my computer at work I get excited.
And yes. I too, am a simpleton.

So is it likely that the Dome roof will be supported in two different places?

The fabric (for lack of a better proper noun) portion of the roof is supported by the crown truss that holds the cables, obviously. And this truss holds its own weight with the help of the new X-bracing installed in the corners.

Above, it appears that the rigid roof frame is tied to that steel ring truss. The Dome has one of those as well, installed before the crown truss. Is it the case that that is tied into the building's c.1980 steel frame and that the rigid roof connects to this ring truss?

I guess we now know what the project is still on schedule.. almost nothing done for 2 weeks thats visible or at any pace. Almost like when i want the wife to think i have projects around the house outside to work on but really just moving empty buckets and tools around while listening to blue tooth on my phone

Yes, my comment was less a complaint and more of a wish, understanding that projection is different than lighting (although complimentary.) You can see the integration of both by hobbyists in the DIY holiday lighting community.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom