the crane the crane | Page 220 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

So is it likely that the Dome roof will be supported in two different places?

The fabric (for lack of a better proper noun) portion of the roof is supported by the crown truss that holds the cables, obviously. And this truss holds its own weight with the help of the new X-bracing installed in the corners.

Above, it appears that the rigid roof frame is tied to that steel ring truss. The Dome has one of those as well, installed before the crown truss. Is it the case that that is tied into the building's c.1980 steel frame and that the rigid roof connects to this ring truss?
There is a lot of guess work on my part here, but from what I have been told and understand, a lot of what you are describing is what will happen. The "fabric" portion represents about 2/3 of the roof, so there is a lot of live and dead load on it, (dead load is essentially the structure's own weight, and live load is a design variable. Snow load is often included in live load, but sometimes pulled out as it's own number). The rigid portion is by Sala's numbers 1/3 and therefore, the truss depth will be somewhat balanced. The load is less, but the span is longer which should create a scenario where the truss is deeper, but lighter (thinner) members. To reduce the span, I believe they will go diagonally as the renderings all imply, essentially from the 50 to the middle of the endzone.

For sake of comparison, the Vikings' stadium has one VERY large truss that essentially splits the field down the middle and the framing members attach to that from each sideline, like a ridge beam. This creates need for a very large column element at either side to support the truss load. That was used in the design to create the very large and glassy entrance. We have no real estate for such a structural element to come to ground which is what drove the solution currently being built.

I'm not a lighting expert and I don't want to say anything bad about Mr. Sala, but unless I'm misunderstanding what he's saying, he comes across as an easily-impressed lighting simpleton. You can walk into any hardware store and buy off-the-shelf LED fixtures that allow you to adjust tone, hues, intensity, etc. from an app on your phone.

In that same post I made you quoted, there was also an article from ledstadium.com dated January 28, 2020. Perhaps you didn't click on the link and read the entire article, although I provided parts from it, which I presume you had seen.

In regards to your hardware store comments, my understanding is that isnt' the same thing as you're referencing. Color temperature adjustment is different. Think about your HDTV and where you can adjust your picture in the settings to your liking; i.e. Warm1, Warm2, Cool1, Cool2, etc. That's what is being referred to in regards to Color Temperature and relative to what Sala is saying there. Additionally, their lighting system provides a better focus of the light produced, as well as their "special" lenses which makes the particular lighting "superior" according to the article.

Again, unless half the Dome was using Ephesus and the other half Musco (as in that HDTV analogy) no layman fan is probably ever going to be able to notice the difference and undoubtedly the lighting will still be fantastic. That said, Ephesus is using/marketing that exclusivity relative to their product along with it being "future proof" to stand out from the competition.

'What makes them stand out' (Ephesus)

"Their lighting system uses the latest technology which gives a better focus of the semiconductor light that is produced. The special lenses that intensify and direct the light are superior likewise. They are the only company that uses a special color temperature feature that can be adjusted. Allowing the user to switch intensity of whites to warmer hues. All of which can be done at the touch of a button."

In that same post I made you quoted, there was also an article from ledstadium.com dated January 28, 2020. Perhaps you didn't click on the link and read the entire article, although I provided parts from it, which I presume you had seen.

In regards to your hardware store comments, my understanding is that isnt' the same thing as you're referencing. Color temperature adjustment is different. Think about your HDTV and where you can adjust your picture in the settings to your liking; i.e. Warm1, Warm2, Cool1, Cool2, etc. That's what is being referred to in regards to Color Temperature and relative to what Sala is saying there. Additionally, their lighting system provides a better focus of the light produced, as well as their "special" lenses which makes the particular lighting "superior" according to the article.

Again, unless half the Dome was using Ephesus and the other half Musco (as in that HDTV analogy) no layman fan is probably ever going to be able to notice the difference and undoubtedly the lighting will still be fantastic. That said, Ephesus is using/marketing that exclusivity relative to their product along with it being "future proof" to stand out from the competition.

'What makes them stand out' (Ephesus)

"Their lighting system uses the latest technology which gives a better focus of the semiconductor light that is produced. The special lenses that intensify and direct the light are superior likewise. They are the only company that uses a special color temperature feature that can be adjusted. Allowing the user to switch intensity of whites to warmer hues. All of which can be done at the touch of a button."

I do not know when that last part was written, but Musco can brighten their lights at will and even remotely.

I would bet that 90% of this board never really adjusts their own TVS to what industry says is the correct colors either.. I have gone thru that with some TVS and often ended up with just resetting it back to default.

The ability to do it vs the need to do it varies widely. It also matters the venue. grass vs a hockey rink is a complelely different animal.

I do not know when that last part was written, but Musco can brighten their lights at will and even remotely.

As mentioned, the article is dated January, 28, 2020. Yes, Musco can brighten/dim their lights and remotely. Changing the 'Color Temperature' is not the same as brightening/dimming...hence, the Warm1, Warm2, Cool1, Cool2, etc. reference, which their fixture is exclusive in that regard as well as the beam focus, future proof, etc.

Last edited:
I would bet that 90% of this board never really adjusts their own TVS to what industry says is the correct colors either.. I have gone thru that with some TVS and often ended up with just resetting it back to default.

The ability to do it vs the need to do it varies widely. It also matters the venue. grass vs a hockey rink is a complelely different animal.

I agree. I'm kind of a tech geek, and I pay a lot of attention to the fine details, etc. that most don't. I had my LG 4K OLED HDTV unit calibrated professionally a few years back, probably over 90% of folks don't do that either.

As mentioned, the article is dated January, 28, 2020. Yes, Musco can brighten/dim their lights and remotely. Changing the 'Color Temperature' is not the same as brightening/dimming...hence, the Warm1, Warm2, Cool1, Cool2, etc. reference, which their fixture is exclusive in that regard as well as the beam focus, future proof, etc.

Musco Helps Boston's TD Garden Meet NBA and NHL Light Requirements. ... Musco's tunable white fixtures adjust between warmer and whiter color temperatures, creating unique settings for different events.

Musco Helps Boston's TD Garden Meet NBA and NHL Light Requirements. ... Musco's tunable white fixtures adjust between warmer and whiter color temperatures, creating unique settings for different events.

Perhaps that pertains to their "white fixtures" as referenced? Ephesus has a product I believe in their "Lumadapt" line that integrates color (RGBA) too, along with it being "future proof" as the technology is ever changing. From what I've read, it's my understanding this technology of theirs is exclusive and the only company that has it, etc. Sala made a reference in that October of '19 article on Syracuse.com that it was brand new, and that it was being installed for the first time in the new Vegas and LA NFL stadiums. That Boston piece is from a year earlier, October of '18. I haven't a horse in the race, I'm just commenting based upon those relatively recent remarks and info. I've been able to gather so far.

Perhaps that pertains to their "white fixtures" as referenced? Ephesus has a product I believe in their "Lumadapt" line that integrates color (RGBA) too, along with it being "future proof" as the technology is ever changing. From what I've read, it's my understanding this technology of theirs is exclusive and the only company that has it, etc. Sala made a reference in that October of '19 article on Syracuse.com that it was brand new, and that it was being installed for the first time in the new Vegas and LA NFL stadiums. That Boston piece is from a year earlier, October of '18. I haven't a horse in the race, I'm just commenting based upon those relatively recent remarks and info. I've been able to gather so far.

I the same and it's becoming even more apparent that the difference between the two companies is even more blurred. If a local company was not involved in this I think there would be less complaining.

There is the tech involved. There is the design involved, Then there is the vision of the company asking for the work done.. I think the first 2 are both plenty good for SU.. The 3rd one may well turn out to look like the request came from a blind man given our track history..

I the same and it's becoming even more apparent that the difference between the two companies is even more blurred. If a local company was not involved in this I think there would be less complaining.

I mentioned being disappointed and not really complaining, although it may be coming across that way. It is a competitive industry, and Musco undoubtedly will do a stellar job. I just thought it would be awesome using Ephesus, not only because of its local roots, but more so because of their name/footprint on all of these recent spectacular NFL stadiums, Minnesota, Atlanta, Las Vegas, LA, the last 2 Super Bowl venues as well as next year's, etc. and the Dome being affiliated with that prestige relative to same.

Last edited:
I mentioned being disappointed and not really complaining, although it may be coming across that way. It is a competitive industry, and Musco undoubtedly will do a stellar job. I just thought it would be awesome using Ephesus, not only because of its local roots, but more so because of their name/footprint on all of these recent spectacular NFL stadiums, Minnesota, Atlanta, Las Vegas, LA, the last 2 Super Bowl venues as well as next year's, etc. and the Dome being affiliated with that prestige relative to same.
Maybe Ephesus will have an opportunity to do the exterior lighting at some point in the future, but it seems that the company lost its soul when it was bought out. I doubt the new corporate execs care about the local connection to SU.

With fear of piling on:

Color temperature is essentially the measure of blue to yellow light on the spectrum and it affects the way we see other colors, and has nothing to do with actual temperature.
There are countless studies on light color, healing ability, diurnal cycles, awareness, circadian rhythm, etc. blue light energizes and yellow relaxes. I have been involved with some of this in healthcare design.

Blue light shows other colors more true to their hue and yellow is typically considered more flattering (why we like incandescent light over fluorescent light, especially when looking in a mirror). It's a bit like the Moody Blues' "Knights in White Satin" where a narrator describes the moonlight removing color from our sight, red is grey and yellow white.
It is measured in Kelvins and incandescent or warm light is typically in the 2700 K-3000 K range. The higher the number, the "cooler" the light. Historically, it is difficult for LEDs to achieve pleasing warm tones, but there is great improvement and we are now accepting 3000 K LEDs as comparable to incandescent bulbs. My understanding is that TV cameras prefer whiter or truer color render (cooler color temps) but with our eyes, we do not. I may be off on this, as I don't work in a lot of TV studios (none really).

I have heard the new roof will look quite a bit different than the drawings released to date
If that's the case then you probably shouldn't assume the roof height if it's based on those old drawings. ;)

Let's face it - we have no real clue what the roof is going to look like at this point. Just guesses.

If that's the case then you probably shouldn't assume the roof height if it's based on those old drawings. ;)

Let's face it - we have no real clue what the roof is going to look like at this point. Just guesses.
Although I don't think you do it intentionally, it strikes me as at least quasi-insulting to imply that all of the posters making guesses "have no real clue." There are very obviously posters in this thread who have the technical knowledge and experiential background to offer educated opinions as to what the roof (in this example, but there are many others) will look like.

Speaking for myself, I really appreciate the insight provided by posters like sutomcat OttoMets CuseLegacy and NJCuse97

With fear of piling on:

Color temperature is essentially the measure of blue to yellow light on the spectrum and it affects the way we see other colors, and has nothing to do with actual temperature.
There are countless studies on light color, healing ability, diurnal cycles, awareness, circadian rhythm, etc. blue light energizes and yellow relaxes. I have been involved with some of this in healthcare design.

Blue light shows other colors more true to their hue and yellow is typically considered more flattering (why we like incandescent light over fluorescent light, especially when looking in a mirror). It's a bit like the Moody Blues' "Knights in White Satin" where a narrator describes the moonlight removing color from our sight, red is grey and yellow white.
It is measured in Kelvins and incandescent or warm light is typically in the 2700 K-3000 K range. The higher the number, the "cooler" the light. Historically, it is difficult for LEDs to achieve pleasing warm tones, but there is great improvement and we are now accepting 3000 K LEDs as comparable to incandescent bulbs. My understanding is that TV cameras prefer whiter or truer color render (cooler color temps) but with our eyes, we do not. I may be off on this, as I don't work in a lot of TV studios (none really).

Yeah, I think a lot of it comes down to a to each their own kind of thing relative to ambiance and particular application. I have/prefer 2700K LED for my path lights and uplights at my residence, as the 3000K are too bluish/whitish for my liking. Perhaps, oddly, I prefer my TV viewing on the "cooler" side vs 'warmer" and why I have my settings at Cool1 vs. Warm1 or Warm2.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think a lot of it comes down to a to each their own kind of thing relative to ambiance and particular application. I have/prefer 2700K LED for my path lights and uplights at my residence, as the 3000K are too bluish/whitish for my liking. Perhaps, oddly, I prefer my TV viewing on the "cooler" side vs 'warmer" and why I have my settings at Cool1 vs. Warm1 or Warm2.

I'll go one further: we switch out the outdoor bulbs depending on season. I like to accentuate the brightness of the snow with colder lights in the winter, but I don't really care for cold lighting so for the rest of the year we use a warmer bulb. Found a newer type this March, it's got a filament and I think is 2700K, looks really nice. (I usually take pictures of the boxes of the different bulbs so I don't forget which to buy, but I can't find this one.)

I'll go one further: we switch out the outdoor bulbs depending on season. I like to accentuate the brightness of the snow with colder lights in the winter, but I don't really care for cold lighting so for the rest of the year we use a warmer bulb. Found a newer type this March, it's got a filament and I think is 2700K, looks really nice. (I usually take pictures of the boxes of the different bulbs so I don't forget which to buy, but I can't find this one.)

We seldom ever get snow here in Charlotte, well at least not enough to make any difference, but that's pretty cool (pun intended). :) I'm not sure if I'd do that even if we did get snow here, those 2W LED path light bulbs for my particular "Unique" brand lighting are about $35 - $40 each. The uplight LED's I have range from 4W to 8W and are even more coin. :)

We seldom ever get snow here in Charlotte, well at least not enough to make any difference, but that's pretty cool (pun intended). :) I'm not sure if I'd do that even if we did get snow here, those 2W LED path lights for my particular "Unique" brand lighting are about $35 - $40 each. The uplight LED's I have range from 4W to 8W and are even more coin. :)

Ya, they are seriously expensive. I remember the lighting store guy recommended the fancy warm light and I didn't realize what it cost until I heard the total.

I feel like Pete must have had a convo with Dino before this all started about keeping the press/public out and throwing out almost truths to throw off our opponents

I'm not a lighting expert and I don't want to say anything bad about Mr. Sala, but unless I'm misunderstanding what he's saying, he comes across as an easily-impressed lighting simpleton. You can walk into any hardware store and buy off-the-shelf LED fixtures that allow you to adjust tone, hues, intensity, etc. from an app on your phone.
You don,t want to say and then you state "but unless I'm misunderstanding what he's saying, he comes across as an easily-impressed lighting simpleton." My dealings and impression of Peter Sala differ greatly from your unopinion opinion!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom