the crane the crane | Page 225 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Another update...

They were able to detach the cables for the back stay above Gate B (right in front of the Lawrinson camera) late yesterday. That appears to be an involved operation that requires the use of a special device that helps get the cables off.

Still haven't removed the lynchpin that the cables attached to on the end point of the back stay. But I think it is pretty routine work left to take what is left of the 2 remaining back stays on the southwest diagonal wall down. I would guess that will happen later today.

You can still see one back stay up on the southeast diagonal wall and it still has cables attached. And there are a few that remain on the north side of the building. But they continue to make steady progress here.

On the inside, I am pretty sure they are finishing getting the main cables laid out all the way to the middle of the upper deck. I can see the white cranes pulling cable and it looks like they are leaving it (very carefully) in place on the upper decks. They are focusing on the west and south sides now. It looks like they did the north side first. I don't see any cables or protective wood up yet on the upper deck of east side. Maybe they are saving that side for last.

A flatbed truck rode into the dome today with some interesting white things on it. I have no idea what they are.

Anyone have a clue on what these might be?

Mystery White Things.jpg

Lastly, I saw one of the white cranes lift this mysterious object up near the top of the southern upper deck, close to the coaches boxes. Any idea what it might be?

Mysterious black rectangle.jpg

thats the elevator they installed isnt it? no longer will visiting coaches need to go thru the crowd

1589899724198.png

Looks like they are removing the cables for the back stay left on the southeast diagonal wall.

If you like birds, this post is for you. If not, please move on.

A pair of red-tailed hawks have been living on the SU campus since 2012. They have a nest on Lyman Hall. There is a live web cam normally trained on the nest, so you can see what is going on whenever you want.

The hawks unfortunately moved their nest in the spring of 2020 and because of COVID, facilities has not beel allowed to move their camera. That said, you can see highlights of past years at the web site now and if you like birds, you might find it interesting. I think this has been discussed on the board at least once in past years.

Their names are Otto and Sue. Anyway, I think Otto was just hanging out next to the Lawrinson camera, looking for prey. Beautiful bird.

I did a screen capture of him (it might be Sue, I have no idea) hanging out (lower left corner) and another in flight. Enjoy and the next time you are on campus, check out their nest at Lyman.

Otto Overlooks Progress.jpg
Otto in Flight.jpg

If you like birds, this post is for you. If not, please move on.

A pair of red-tailed hawks have been living on the SU campus since 2012. They have a nest on Lyman Hall. There is a live web cam normally trained on the nest, so you can see what is going on whenever you want.

The hawks unfortunately moved their nest in the spring of 2020 and because of COVID, facilities has not beel allowed to move their camera. That said, you can see highlights of past years at the web site now and if you like birds, you might find it interesting. I think this has been discussed on the board at least once in past years.

Their names are Otto and Sue. Anyway, I think Otto was just hanging out next to the Lawrinson camera, looking for prey. Beautiful bird.

I did a screen capture of him (it might be Sue, I have no idea) hanging out (lower left corner) and another in flight. Enjoy and the next time you are on campus, check out their nest at Lyman.

View attachment 181480View attachment 181483

Fantastic! I'm kind of a bird watcher, we have several feeders, etc. in our back yard here in Weddington, NC. I have two that I know of hawk's nests in the wooded area of our premises, and adjacent to us there's woods as well. There are many Red tail/shoulder Hawks here in the Charlotte area, especially around us...just gorgeous creatures IMO.

Last edited:
What are the doing with the seating in this phase? Are they just reinstalling the bleachers they took out?

What a disaster. If you were wondering how things were going to go with the deep South states wanting to open up really fast, you got an answer today.

Hopefully our workers in CNY are a little more careful and serious about this.

On an aside, so much for these others schools getting their athletic improvements, etc. mostly from fundraising as it was said somewhere here as being the case...apparently not.

The project will be financed through a few different places including $25 million from donations to the Crimson Standard campaign launched when renovation plans were announced last August. The biggest piece of the pie will be $48.4 million in bonds.

The proposal calls for replacing the four corner video scoreboards with new ones approximately 60 percent larger than the existing ones. Additionally...

-- Putting corner loge box seating at the southwest Level 6 instead of at the south end of the stadium.

-- Building concessions, restrooms, “social spaces” with televisions at the ground level where students enter on the southwest side.

-- Building two new stair towers on the west side for the suites and club levels.

This picture looks so similar to the scene at Olympic Stadium in London, just before they raised all the cables simultaneously. I think CuseLegacy made a great call posting that video. It really looks like we are going to see a similar process used here to get the cabling up for the new roof.

In the last week or two, I have seen cranes spending a lot of time up at various spots on the crown truss. Was wondering what they were doing. Very hard to see from the outside looking in. I suspected they were attaching temporary cables that could be attached to the actual roof cables so they could be pulled up from the places they have laid out at on the stands.

You can clearly (okay, maybe not really clearly) see cables hanging from various places on the top of the crown truss. Still looks like they have some cables to lay out on the western upper deck but they appear to be very close to being ready to raise the roof cables.

I am wondering if those mysterious white things were the hydraulic lifts to lift the cables? No sign of them here.

On an aside, so much for these others schools getting their athletic improvements, etc. mostly from fundraising as it was said somewhere here as being the case...apparently not.

The project will be financed through a few different places including $25 million from donations to the Crimson Standard campaign launched when renovation plans were announced last August. The biggest piece of the pie will be $48.4 million in bonds.

The proposal calls for replacing the four corner video scoreboards with new ones approximately 60 percent larger than the existing ones. Additionally...

-- Putting corner loge box seating at the southwest Level 6 instead of at the south end of the stadium.

-- Building concessions, restrooms, “social spaces” with televisions at the ground level where students enter on the southwest side.

-- Building two new stair towers on the west side for the suites and club levels.

schools pay for athletic facilities with donations for the most part. Just because Alabama used more binds than most usually do, doesn’t change that. We’ve posted 99 million other examples saying the majority was made for with donations. Just the way it is.

schools pay for athletic facilities with donations for the most part. Just because Alabama used more binds than most usually do, doesn’t change that. We’ve posted 99 million other examples saying the majority was made for with donations. Just the way it is.
I'm curious though. What's the payback? I know Alabama is using bonds to pay for part of the facilities, but if you win national championships or are in the conversation, how many extra students in enrollment is that. There has to be some impact for being on ESPN 24/7. Is there any study quantifying the impact a good sports program has on enrollment or revenues to the school?

What’s are the wooden scaffolding for?
It looks like it was added to help keep the protective white plastic wrapping in place. It appears they enclosed the 200 level and the private boxes with this. There are a lot of TVs installed above the 200 level so fans sitting there can see what everyone else can see from the video scoreboards (they aren’t; generally visible from the 200 level because of the overhang).

The private boxes also have TVs, other electronics and plumbing, so in addition to being protected from the elements, the boxes were heated enough to prevent the pipes from freezing and breaking.

If you look across to the other side you can see a similar setup of wood in the corners where the 200 level ends and the prinvate boxes begin.

I'm curious though. What's the payback? I know Alabama is using bonds to pay for part of the facilities, but if you win national championships or are in the conversation, how many extra students in enrollment is that. There has to be some impact for being on ESPN 24/7. Is there any study quantifying the impact a good sports program has on enrollment or revenues to the school?
Without reading the bond offer sheet, I'd assume the bonds are to be specifically paid back by future stadium revenues. In fact, it may not even be backed by the University. The applicable payback is the increase in football revenue from price increases by having a highly successful team and an improved fan experience and probably more higher end/ higher margin VIP services.
I would think with a state school like Bama, the uptick in student applications is a distant second to increased stadium revenue.

Quick update:

Substantial progress was made yesterday on removing the back stays on the north wall. That continues today.

They have started removing the two remaining back stays on the southeast wall as well. I expect both gone by the end of the day.

It looks like they are continuing to attach cables to the areas near the top of the crown truss. I think they are going to the blue platform areas that will be used to stage the rising of the roof cables.

This is what Pete Sala said on 5/4:

"They’ll see some work on the inside through the webcam of the new cable starting to get laid out, maybe some of them getting hooked up to the old points of the building. You’ll see these blue boxes. People keep asking me what they are. That’s the scaffolding for Pfeifer FabriTec for the steelworkers to get in to connect the new cables to the new truss.”

The old points of the building he refers to is classic Sala. I can't even begin to guess what he means by that.

Quick update:

Substantial progress was made yesterday on removing the back stays on the north wall. That continues today.

They have started removing the two remaining back stays on the southeast wall as well. I expect both gone by the end of the day.

It looks like they are continuing to attach cables to the areas near the top of the crown truss. I think they are going to the blue platform areas that will be used to stage the rising of the roof cables.

This is what Pete Sala said on 5/4:

"They’ll see some work on the inside through the webcam of the new cable starting to get laid out, maybe some of them getting hooked up to the old points of the building. You’ll see these blue boxes. People keep asking me what they are. That’s the scaffolding for Pfeifer FabriTec for the steelworkers to get in to connect the new cables to the new truss.”

The old points of the building he refers to is classic Sala. I can't even begin to guess what he means by that.

Perhaps he's referring to already existing connection points for the cables? Does the new roof have more interior support cables than the previous roof (obviously there will be more exterior support cables with the crown truss)?

Perhaps he's referring to already existing connection points for the cables? Does the new roof have more interior support cables than the previous roof (obviously there will be more exterior support cables with the crown truss)?
Based on the Geiger drawing and that video that showed the cables laid out on the floor of the Dome, it looks to me as though they are replicating the same cross hatch pattern the old roof used. All the diagonal cables the old roof had will be part of the new roof, but it will also have one cable going on a north-south orientation and one going east-west.

Hard to tell for sure from that Geiger drawing but the north-south and east-west cables might not connect above a column. There are no columns in the middle of the east/west or north/south walls.