the crane the crane

721Comstock

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Leading Rebounder
Real progress?
As opposed to #FakeProgress?

That would be beautiful. Just beautiful.

ImperialOrange

Living Legend
Are they putting down a new base level surface under the turf when construction is done? Seems the cranes inside are tearing into the old surface quite a bit.

721Comstock

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Leading Rebounder
why ? was it ever being used again? it was under the field turf wasnt it?
Yes, this.
I mean, it's a kinda neat piece of history, but not neat enough that it ever gets seen, except for when the field gets removed.

Does it really matter? Nobody's using the track again either.

NJCuse97

All Conference
Tomcat/NJCuse97 - when you have time I wanted you to direct me to the rendering, (I think by Geiger), of the new roof. I have done an advanced search and it's not coming up.
Reason:
Thought you'd be interested in NJCuse97's post #5644 pg. 226 Click on the link and it will take you to examples of Pfeifer's work - click on structures, then stadiums and BC Place has the exact, (don't know what you call them supports as our design), but they look like half circles that support the fabric. Interesting that what is shown in the rendering is the same // and also what they are able to do with the lighting.
Thanks for your time when you can get to it.
They use the same concept in a different manner at BC Place, but I do know that it was a major influence on our design because the scenarios were so similar. They are using the half hoops to make a truss and resolve the span loads. The depth of the arch is the depth of the truss. Here are some rough sketches to show what I mean. The trusses are organized like a "cats eye" and the ring truss holds it up some by its edges.

Attachments

sutomcat

Former Iggy Winner. I used to be somebody special
Staff member
They use the same concept in a different manner at BC Place, but I do know that it was a major influence on our design because the scenarios were so similar. They are using the half hoops to make a truss and resolve the span loads. The depth of the arch is the depth of the truss. Here are some rough sketches to show what I mean. The trusses are organized like a "cats eye" and the ring truss holds it up some by its edges.
Thanks for this explanation NJCuse97. I don't understand the cat's eye reference but everything else made sense to me.

Regarding the half hoop arches that compromise most of the interior part of the new roof, do you know what they are?

Are they made of steel and bolted together as needed to make a chain? Some of them are really long. Can't imagine these are single pieces.

NJCuse97

All Conference
Thanks for this explanation NJCuse97. I don't understand the cat's eye reference but everything else made sense to me.

Regarding the half hoop arches that compromise most of the interior part of the new roof, do you know what they are?

Are they made of steel and bolted together as needed to make a chain? Some of them are really long. Can't imagine these are single pieces.
Whoops. I meant a gods eye.
1591124575962.png

I don't know, but I assume they are steel and bolted or connected in some way. I assume it would be a rigid connection to each other and a pin connection (allows movement) at the ends.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom