the crane the crane | Page 226 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Update:

It looks to me as though all the back stays on the north wall are now gone. I think the only back stay that remains in the one front and center on the Lawrinson camera and I think they are removing it right now.

This is an excerpt from an article published in the PS on 5/5:

Syracuse University Vice President & Chief Facilities Officer Pete Sala said that modern version of the Carrier Dome’s bubble-top likely will begin to take shape in July. Unlike the previous two roofs, the newest version will be supported by a bridge truss rather than air pressure, a more modern and reliable design.

“Well, I think that we’re hoping, the way the schedule is laid out now, mid-July you should start seeing that next part of the roof going on, the actual structure,” Sala said. “That needs to go very quickly in order for us to start hanging lights and sound and video underneath it. That is really scheduled tight.”

The back stays are almost to be completely gone. We can see that at least most of the cables have been laid out and appear ready to go.

What is going to go on between now and the middle of July? This is where I wish we had more info available. I just can't see what needs to be done that is going to take 6 or 7 weeks before the roof can start going up.

What I think is that Pete is just ignoring the process of getting the cabling needed to support the roof up and in place. Maybe he forgot it. Maybe is just is not a fan of it.

What we do know is this project had a tight timeline from before it started. We know the crown truss was completed a couple of months after Pete thought it would be completed. We know it needs to be done by September 19th.

What else needs to get done before the roof can be built? Anyone has some inside info? Anyone able to offer some insights?
I can see where getting those cables off the stands and up and in place is going to be a challenge and something that will take a lot of time.

They are going to need materials. OttoMets has seen evidence of material being stocked over at Hendricks (I think that is where he saw it). That might be the PTFE material for the inner part of the roof. We know the cables are in place. What about the material needed for the hard shell part of the roof? What about interior trusses for that part of the roof? When is that material coming? Has it arrived and we just can't see it?

Anyone know?

Last edited:
it is perplexing , seemed like a big push/rush and then the slow play.. but i guess the Crane cost drove some of it, but still paying for a big crane sitting asleep for a month

Update:

It looks to me as though all the back stays on the north wall are now gone. I think the only back stay that remains in the one front and center on the Lawrinson camera and I think they are removing it right now.

This is an excerpt from an article published in the PS on 5/5:

Syracuse University Vice President & Chief Facilities Officer Pete Sala said that modern version of the Carrier Dome’s bubble-top likely will begin to take shape in July. Unlike the previous two roofs, the newest version will be supported by a bridge truss rather than air pressure, a more modern and reliable design.

“Well, I think that we’re hoping, the way the schedule is laid out now, mid-July you should start seeing that next part of the roof going on, the actual structure,” Sala said. “That needs to go very quickly in order for us to start hanging lights and sound and video underneath it. That is really scheduled tight.”

The back stays are almost to be completely gone. We can see that at least most of the cables have been laid out and appear ready to go.

What is going to go on between now and the middle of July? This is where I wish we had more info available. I just can't see what needs to be done that is going to take 6 or 7 weeks before the roof can start going up.

What I think is that Pete is just ignoring the process of getting the cabling needed to support the roof up and in place. Maybe he forgot it. Maybe is just is not a fan of it.

What we do know is this project had a tight timeline from before it started. We know the crown truss was completed a couple of months after Pete thought it would be completed. We know it needs to be done by September 19th.

What else needs to get done before the roof can be built? Anyone has some inside info? Anyone able to offer some insights?
I can see where getting those cables off the stands and up and in place is going to be a challenge and something that will take a lot of time.

They are going to need materials. OttoMets has seen evidence of material being stocked over at Hendricks (I think that is where he saw it). That might be the PTFE material for the inner part of the roof. We know the cables are in place. What about the material needed for the hard shell part of the roof? What about interior trusses for that part of the roof? When is that material coming? Has it arrived and we just can't see it?

Anyone know?

This is the company, according to their website, that will be manufacturing and installing the PTFE material but I can't find on the website where it is being manufactured. Could be Texas.

If you like birds, this post is for you. If not, please move on.

A pair of red-tailed hawks have been living on the SU campus since 2012. They have a nest on Lyman Hall. There is a live web cam normally trained on the nest, so you can see what is going on whenever you want.

The hawks unfortunately moved their nest in the spring of 2020 and because of COVID, facilities has not beel allowed to move their camera. That said, you can see highlights of past years at the web site now and if you like birds, you might find it interesting. I think this has been discussed on the board at least once in past years.

Their names are Otto and Sue. Anyway, I think Otto was just hanging out next to the Lawrinson camera, looking for prey. Beautiful bird.

I did a screen capture of him (it might be Sue, I have no idea) hanging out (lower left corner) and another in flight. Enjoy and the next time you are on campus, check out their nest at Lyman.

View attachment 181480View attachment 181483

Aweswome. I have some monster hawks in my neighborhood. Still waiting to see an eagle from my deck as they are in the area now (south shore massachsuetts)

It's going to look cool when all of the back stay material is gone.

Does anyone know where Walt went to and if there is a camera there as well? Asking for a friend. ;)

It's going to look cool when all of the back stay material is gone.

Does anyone know where Walt went to and if there is a camera there as well? Asking for a friend. ;)
I think someone said Buffalo. Could be wrong on that though.

If he is in Buffalo, I haven't seen him yet and I'm not aware of any planned projects of the scale that would necessitate having a crane that large.

I believe the steelworker who I talked to a few weeks ago said North Carolina? Or maybe that's where the rental company is. But he did say that the thing was brand-new and straight from the manufacturer in Germany via the Port of New Jersey.

yswhunxvmk051.jpg

Taken last week

If you have a photo viewer app you can really zoom in to reveal in all the chaos on the floor.

H/T: reddit

Last edited:
yswhunxvmk051.jpg

Taken last week

If you have a photo viewer app you can really zoom in to reveal in all the chaos on the floor.

Sweet! This pic really shows the "bunny hop" in the truss structure that is sure to give its riders some good coaster "air time." I can't wait to ride! ;):)

yswhunxvmk051.jpg

Taken last week

Oh Mark, you're making me think you never read my posts. ;)
That pic showed up on twitter on Saturday for construction time frame reference.

This is the company, according to their website, that will be manufacturing and installing the PTFE material but I can't find on the website where it is being manufactured. Could be Texas.
I could use the CEUs. Thanks!

I believe the steelworker who I talked to a few weeks ago said North Carolina? Or maybe that's where the rental company is. But he did say that the thing was brand-new and straight from the manufacturer in Germany via the Port of New Jersey.
And all you folks do is bash Jersey.

I have a pair of red tails nesting behind my house .. love to see them flying especially when hassled by crows its like the Battle of Britain
I had a battle like that here yesterday...two crows and a red tail...I watched them for a mile before they went out of sight...

I had a battle like that here yesterday...two crows and a red tail...I watched them for a mile before they went out of sight...
I opened my shades at home the other day and the fox was sitting under the bird feeder. Nothing compared to today at the lake. I was at the storage shed and saw something charging me. It was a groundhog on a mission to get under the shed. I admit that I did let out a tiny scream when I saw this animal heading straight for me.

Jersey is okay. It is Rutgers that we bash.
Tomcat/NJCuse97 - when you have time I wanted you to direct me to the rendering, (I think by Geiger), of the new roof. I have done an advanced search and it's not coming up.
Reason:
Thought you'd be interested in NJCuse97's post #5644 pg. 226 Click on the link and it will take you to examples of Pfeifer's work - click on structures, then stadiums and BC Place has the exact, (don't know what you call them supports as our design), but they look like half circles that support the fabric. Interesting that what is shown in the rendering is the same // and also what they are able to do with the lighting.
Thanks for your time when you can get to it.

Tomcat/NJCuse97 - when you have time I wanted you to direct me to the rendering, (I think by Geiger), of the new roof. I have done an advanced search and it's not coming up.
Reason:
Thought you'd be interested in NJCuse97's post #5644 pg. 226 Click on the link and it will take you to examples of Pfeifer's work - click on structures, then stadiums and BC Place has the exact, (don't know what you call them supports as our design), but they look like half circles that support the fabric. Interesting that what is shown in the rendering is the same // and also what they are able to do with the lighting.
Thanks for your time when you can get to it.

Update:

They have been removing the collars from a bunch of spirals that have been left up even after the back stays were taken down. I am hopeful this is one of the last steps of cleanup before they will start raising the cables for the new roof.

It is clear cranes on the dome floor are doing stuff very close to or on the tension ring on the perimeter of the facility. I am assuming they are putting temporary cables up, prepping for the future when they use them to pull the actual roof cables to the tension ring.

Hopefully we start seeing some real progress soon.