the crane the crane | Page 229 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

I hate the camera view now...it seems like nothing is happening.

Any guesses on when the cables get raised?

That ship has sailed. Walt went bad and did things that Skyler just couldn't abide.
I just realized this... lol

5x08_-_Gliding_Over_All_PROMO_8.jpg

I hate the camera view now...it seems like nothing is happening.

Any guesses on when the cables get raised?
This is the last Pete Sala had to say on the subject:

“Well, I think that we’re hoping, the way the schedule is laid out now, mid-July you should start seeing that next part of the roof going on, the actual structure,” Sala said. “That needs to go very quickly in order for us to start hanging lights and sound and video underneath it. That is really scheduled tight.”

You can see all sorts of activity going on with cranes in the dome floor. That last overhead shot of the dome floor that was provided showed what appeared to be a staging of the cables needed to support the roof.

I am almost sure they have run a bunch of the cables that will eventually tie the new cable based roof to the crown truss and it appears they are continuing to do this now.

If past Pfeiffer projects are any indication, the cables will go up all at the same time. It has to be a lot easier to get everything just so on the ground and then lift it into position. This setup might be more complex that some of the others we have seen.

I can't imagine they will raise the cables and not start building the roof immediately afterwards. So I am thinking they will continue to stage the cables, maybe wait for some delayed materials, get the staging done in mid July, raise the roof cables and start building almost immediately.

That will give them about 2 months to build the roof, install the power, install the lights, install the sound system, install all the bench seating*, install the center hung scoreboard, take all the 'water proofing' that was installed in the spring off, reinstall new field turf, etc. I know they planned to do some work on concessions and bathrooms. Not sure if they has already started or needs to wait until the roof is installed.

It is going to be a really intense period from mid July to mid September.

Anyone else getting a bad gateway error when trying to open the site for the Link Hall camera? It appears it is down. Hopefully only for a litte while. I would miss the CuseLegacy sunset screen captures from there a great deal.

Lastly, Skylar is almost gone now. Happy trails, wherever you are headed next!

*=maybe not all the seating will be installed de to COVID

They are not upside down, that is just the way the "fabric" drapes between them. The truss is moving in the direction away from the "camera" and that is fabric spanning between the trusses. Look at the gods eye sketch again and imagine with this that you are looking straight down the line.. The wire hangers are all there too, but they line up with the crown truss so that you can't see them. The bottom of this, the part under the hard roof, holding it up is likely to be a rigid piece of steel. The center portion, the PTFE will support itself (attached of course to the hangers all around it's perimeter). That is why the "bubble truss" is needed, so it can support itself. The interior rendering is difficult because it is an odd angle and they are trying to mimic some sort of "fish eye lens" effect. It is my guess that because of this it was too difficult for whoever did the rendering to show the trusses and therefore they represented it as a solid monolithic material. I don't think that will be the case in reality, but I have been wrong here before and I will be again I am sure. I am not sure why the fabric has those lines, but it is very possible that the fabric is directional or reinforced with some sort of mesh to improve its structural performance. Again I think the interior rendering is too conceptual and we will not see that much through it, so I don't think we will see that meshing expressed either.
Cranes I understood better but I am not getting this. Maybe NJCuse97 or tomcat can help?

If you are looking at the gray rendering, (exterior), and then look at the rendering of the, (interior), to me they are two separate concepts. One is almost completely transparent (interior) and opaque exterior. They obviously, to me, must have been done at different times – the interior the earlier version.

IMO, at the time this was done someone told the person(s) doing the interior to do a rough of the concept that was then an almost completely transparent opening, (see clouds and sky).

The exterior of the roof shows more of the span and is, from Sala's explanation, what we are going to end up with – an almost opaque covering. I believe the material is reinforced for strength and support – the little squares in the fabric – otherwise they would not have taken so much time describing them in the drawing. I also think and know being a designer that the gray drawing was done much larger so when it is reduced in size you can still see the small squares due to the original size and because the squares make a difference in the fabric.

Back to the first concept or the interior - if you look closely the architect who drew this did a smaller drawing and to me kinda didn't know what the half hoops, (NJCuse97 help me here – do you know what the half hoops actually called? And, do you know how they may be attached to the cables ?), were attached to so they are supported from this drawing by the cables running from the crown truss from one side to the other but some of the hoops are left hanging in mid air not attached but sort of attached. The artist did a quick concept rendering due to not knowing exactly what was desired at the time but was more specific in the detail of the scoreboard.

The BC Place construction is a different roof altogether but uses the same hoops in very aligned rows from outward to where they meet the inner roof. It seems even though we cannot see the interior it is easier to understand.

Bill check post #5659. 97 Explains the system there with drawings (there are separate trusses built into the roof structure).

Last edited:
I also think it's been mentioned that the rendering from the interior perspective isn't 100% correct, because the roof panels will not be clear. They will almost appear the same as the old dome roof.

Bill check post #5659. 97 Explains the system there with drawings (there are separate trusses built into the roof structure).
Thank you. I looked at that post last week but really looked and tried to understand the forces he drew in red. I get it.
But, I do not think they are called half hoops in the construction industry, (who knows maybe they are), and I'd like to know what they are called and what method of attachment they are using to the cables involved - if anyone knows.

Thank you. I looked at that post last week but really looked and tried to understand the forces he drew in red. I get it.
But, I do not think they are called half hoops in the construction industry, (who knows maybe they are), and I'd like to know what they are called and what method of attachment they are using to the cables involved - if anyone knows.
I don't know if they have a name. together they form what might be called "bubble truss" or "arch truss", but I am not aware of an official name.

Cranes I understood better but I am not getting this. Maybe NJCuse97 or tomcat can help?

If you are looking at the gray rendering, (exterior), and then look at the rendering of the, (interior), to me they are two separate concepts. One is almost completely transparent (interior) and opaque exterior. They obviously, to me, must have been done at different times – the interior the earlier version.

IMO, at the time this was done someone told the person(s) doing the interior to do a rough of the concept that was then an almost completely transparent opening, (see clouds and sky).

The exterior of the roof shows more of the span and is, from Sala's explanation, what we are going to end up with – an almost opaque covering. I believe the material is reinforced for strength and support – the little squares in the fabric – otherwise they would not have taken so much time describing them in the drawing. I also think and know being a designer that the gray drawing was done much larger so when it is reduced in size you can still see the small squares due to the original size and because the squares make a difference in the fabric.

Back to the first concept or the interior - if you look closely the architect who drew this did a smaller drawing and to me kinda didn't know what the half hoops, (NJCuse97 help me here – do you know what the half hoops actually called? And, do you know how they may be attached to the cables ?), were attached to so they are supported from this drawing by the cables running from the crown truss from one side to the other but some of the hoops are left hanging in mid air not attached but sort of attached. The artist did a quick concept rendering due to not knowing exactly what was desired at the time but was more specific in the detail of the scoreboard.

The BC Place construction is a different roof altogether but uses the same hoops in very aligned rows from outward to where they meet the inner roof. It seems even though we cannot see the interior it is easier to understand.
The clear roof will not be. This was an attempt at an early rendering and it takes liberties. That said, material aside, if you look at the structure of the clear part, I believe it has been updated to reflect what will be built. The other portions of the roof (the hard roof) will most likely have a structural expression on the inside of the Dome and I don't believe the person creating the render was skilled enough to represent that correctly, so it looks like a monolithic white material.

I don’t know why, but it just occurred to me that we may have actual rafters to hang banners from. Kinda cool. Of course that may impact noise, so...

There are a ton of white girder/rafter/beam type items staged in a yard on Thompson rd where I believe used to be a Carrier parking lot. I'm sure they are for something else, but the dome did cross my mind. Anyone know what they are for?

There are a ton of white girder/rafter/beam type items staged in a yard on Thompson rd where I believe used to be a Carrier parking lot. I'm sure they are for something else, but the dome did cross my mind. Anyone know what they are for?
A friend who works at Carrier just told me unequivocally that those items are not for Carrier. There is no construction going on and nothing is planned either.

If I can, I will try and drive by and get a picture or two.

In the meantime, the cranes are dropping off a bunch of these things up on the crown truss.

Anyone have any idea what they are?

060920.jpg

A friend who works at Carrier just told me unequivocally that those items are not for Carrier. There is no construction going on and nothing is planned either.

If I can, I will try and drive by and get a picture or two.

In the meantime, the cranes are dropping off a bunch of these things up on the crown truss.

Anyone have any idea what they are?

View attachment 182399
Looking back again at the video,at the 4:45 mark, perhaps they are what the locking pins for the cables go into?

Looking back again at the video,at the 4:45 mark, perhaps they are what the locking pins for the cables go into?

Given where they are going, I think it makes the most sense. But these objects appear to have fins or wings on one end. Maybe they are using a slightly different version for us?

I still don't understand how the roof was lifted at the London Stadium. I have read it took 4 weeks and 56 hydraulic jacks to get it done. Where were the jacks? That 4 weeks has to include 3.9 weeks of staging and a few hours to actually jack it up into place.

Quick update:

I think caz noted this a week or so ago but I will confirm. They are removing the old platforms that hung under the girders one by one. It looks like they will be relying on the blue platforms that hang on the inside of the girders for the roof rising. Even added another one yesterday.

They added an extender to the yellow crane that hangs out on Walt's old area west of the dome/stadium this morning.

Skylar is gone or almost gone now.

Almost all the activity these days appears to be happening on the floor, by cranes. It is hard to see anything of interest. Pete Sala must be a happy man.

Also, I stumbled upon this article this morning. It talks about how air supported domes came to be, why the roof cables are diagonal, and provides a lot of interesting info on stadium design.

I believe the Geiger firm that designed the new roof is headed by the same Geiger that started this whole approach.

This is the lot on Thompson Rd I was talking about. I’m sure it’s not for the Dome, but who knows. A very large lot full of these and quite a collection of what looks like steel roof decking.
68FCE970-B9FF-4761-8383-FE3653C5C6A4.jpeg

This is the lot on Thompson Rd I was talking about. I’m sure it’s not for the Dome, but who knows. A very large lot full of these and quite a collection of what looks like steel roof decking.View attachment 182476

Kind of far from the Liverpool golf course, but that sure looks like it's the right material for the Amazon construction. And I know they've got a very tight timeframe, so it makes sense that they'd be staging off-site (if not that far off-site).

This is the lot on Thompson Rd I was talking about. I’m sure it’s not for the Dome, but who knows. A very large lot full of these and quite a collection of what looks like steel roof decking.View attachment 182476
I would think they could find a place closer to the university to store this stuff. It doesn't look anything like the steel used to build the roof at the stadium in London.

But it does look like material that would be used to build a large metal roof. I work near by. I know of no major construction going on in the area.

And the London roof was circular. This one is not. It makes sense they would need parts like this to build the roof.

I would say it seems very likely they are related to the dome renovation. The only other thing I can think it might be for is a project workers are working on creating gateways every few miles on the Thruway to collect tolls automatically (like we see in the NYC area and down in Florida). I don't remember pieces as big as the white ones and I don't remember them being white though. So yes, I think your theory is a good one.

Kind of far from the Liverpool golf course, but that sure looks like it's the right material for the Amazon construction. And I know they've got a very tight timeframe, so it makes sense that they'd be staging off-site (if not that far off-site).

A bit far from Liverpool but an easy trip right down the Thruway.

A bit far from Liverpool but an easy trip right down the Thruway.
They are apparently building another facility off 481 and Kirkville that would be even closer.

Not sure either site is close to the point where they are ready to put up steel (I know the one in Liverpool is not expected to be completed until the fall of 2021), but good thoughts all around.

Can't wait to watch Cuse Football games at Holland Stadium in Auburn this fall. Seating capacity of around 3k, but standing room of much, much more. Tailgates will be epic! orangenauburn can attest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom