the crane the crane | Page 239 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Last edited:
Cool photos. The top one shows E.I. White North of the Archbold entrance. In the bottom photo it doesn't appear to be there ... so that one might have been taken before 1954. Also, interesting logos on either side of the arch. Could those be war Ottos?
The logos appear to be a blue triangle, with an orange circle superimposed on it. Inside the orange circle is another smaller circle with a block S on it.

It appears the logos were not initially colored. That happened sometime quite a bit later. Maybe in the 1950s?

Archbold Logo .jpg

They stripped it to a shell in the late '70s and rebuilt the interior. Lost a lot of great woodwork and other ornamental details. There are photos somewhere.

I'm told it had been in horrible shape before this. Snow blowing into classrooms, that sort of thing. And maybe a bit of a firetrap. But it's one of a number of great spaces that SU lost long after society knew better.
It was pretty brutal.

Not much progress to comment on. It looks like they have completed or are near completion on the work to install the vertical arc supports for the PTFE section of the roof.

I would think the next step is to get the roof cables attached to the tension ring. It looks to me as though there is a crane positioned to possibly start this process towards the northwest corner of the building. Maybe there will be movement on this over the afternoon.

I am going to assume the new red cranes are significantly lighter than Walt and Skylar since they can apparently drive around their pads without the need for a wood buffer.

It looks like when they start to build the new roof, which I am hearing will happen on or about July 20th, they will start on the west/northwest corner. This is based on the positions of the 2 red cranes.

At some point, the red crane currently near the Falk school (let's call it Skylar 2) will surely have to move over to the east side of the stadium to service that side of the roof. Can it just be driven there? Does it have to be disassembled and re-assembled? It looks to me as though it is currently in an area close to Falk that did not have a crane pad built. If so, it would seem to me that it might be able to drive around wherever it is needed. Hope so. They are clearly in awful shape regarding the time line and losing a few days for a move would be most unfortunate.

Time will tell on that. But when they start to build the new roof, I am guessing a significant amount of the heavy lifting required will be done by the 2 red cranes. Can't see them bringing long, unwieldy pieces of structural steel for the roof into the building and trying to get them up through the complex cable net.

But I could be 100% wrong on that.

Not much progress to comment on. It looks like they have completed or are near completion on the work to install the vertical arc supports for the PTFE section of the roof.

I would think the next step is to get the roof cables attached to the tension ring. It looks to me as though there is a crane positioned to possibly start this process towards the northwest corner of the building. Maybe there will be movement on this over the afternoon.

I am going to assume the new red cranes are significantly lighter than Walt and Skylar since they can apparently drive around their pads without the need for a wood buffer.

It looks like when they start to build the new roof, which I am hearing will happen on or about July 20th, they will start on the west/northwest corner. This is based on the positions of the 2 red cranes.

At some point, the red crane currently near the Falk school (let's call it Skylar 2) will surely have to move over to the east side of the stadium to service that side of the roof. Can it just be driven there? Does it have to be disassembled and re-assembled? It looks to me as though it is currently in an area close to Falk that did not have a crane pad built. If so, it would seem to me that it might be able to drive around wherever it is needed. Hope so. They are clearly in awful shape regarding the time line and losing a few days for a move would be most unfortunate.

Time will tell on that. But when they start to build the new roof, I am guessing a significant amount of the heavy lifting required will be done by the 2 red cranes. Can't see them bringing long, unwieldy pieces of structural steel for the roof into the building and trying to get them up through the complex cable net.

That cable net is great to see, but from a constrcution standpoint it must be a nightmare. Amazing that the interior cranes are able to operate inside those cables without strking them. And the guys standing on the cables from time to time must have some serious &%$@lls.

I think there's a third crane, a white one. There are a couple pieces on site between Steele and the north side of the Dome, and there are a lot more pieces down at Kennedy Square.

How that factors in, I have no idea. But my guess is that it'll require less moving of one or both red cranes.

That cable net is great to see, but from a constrcution standpoint it must be a nightmare. Amazing that the interior cranes are able to operate inside those cables without strking them. And the guys standing on the cables from time to time must have some serious &%$@lls.
Much respect to ironworkers...they earn their pay

Was in town so took the little guy over to check out the new roof of the Dome

Attachments

• 47631498-3552-4D21-A9D8-7284118D8145.jpeg
    47631498-3552-4D21-A9D8-7284118D8145.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 230
  • 58281B04-6BBB-41EE-8AA7-0D27536B5F55.jpeg
    58281B04-6BBB-41EE-8AA7-0D27536B5F55.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 242
  • E0C96AD3-5DA3-46F0-911A-844EF1E76F50.jpeg
    E0C96AD3-5DA3-46F0-911A-844EF1E76F50.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 216
  • 78E1F252-152A-4FA6-9C67-6E4E66803C8A.jpeg
    78E1F252-152A-4FA6-9C67-6E4E66803C8A.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 217
Update:

OttoMets talked about a white crane. I see it now. And yes, it is a big, tall one. Wow.

070920.jpg

That should cover most of the roof. Probably still going to be an issue towards the southeast corner, but they should have coverage for most of the roof now.

I have seen people working on the red crane to the west of the dome a couple of times now. I think it is broken. Hope they get the repairs done to it soon. It pretty much is always just lying down on the job now.

I am seeing a yellow box flitting around, carrying workers to tough to get to places to do work on the net. It looks almost like a shark tank, except the walls here are surely designed to protect the workers from falling out and dropping to the ground.

It looks like this:

070920a.jpg

Still waiting for them to start detaching the connectors for the roof cables from up near the crown truss and connecting them to the tension ring. I am not a patient man. Let's go!

One last tidbit. I think DoubleDee posted a pic of the steel sitting in the weed filled parking lots on Thompson Road, opposite Carrier and JPW. This is where the many of the workers parked when Carrier employed over 10K making air conditioners in Syracuse.

This one might be a little better picture. You can see the steel looks much like the steel used for the hard shell roofs in the Pfeiffer videos. It looks like it is going to be covered with those opaque tile shells on the outside and by a fabric type cover on the inside, so this might be your best bet to see the under carriage of the new hard shell roof.

There is a lot of it on site. A lot.

IMG_1525.jpg

From someone at project.

Lots of activity continuing on the inside of the Syracuse University Stadium. A few snap shots of the cable net roof structure in progress. We are getting ready for the final lift in the coming weeks. Also mobilizing (4) cranes to set roof joists and deck once the cable net is lifted and in its final position.View attachment 183454
To: someone at the project and Cusetown23:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This would have been the view for all of us if a camera had been placed inside the "Syracuse University Stadium". And, we would have been able to more specifically describe what was happening daily instead of trying to guess. This Craniac was waiting for some views like this to be able to understand what things look like and you provided it. Looks great! Been away - good to be back.

Update:

OttoMets talked about a white crane. I see it now. And yes, it is a big, tall one. Wow.

View attachment 183614

That should cover most of the roof. Probably still going to be an issue towards the southeast corner, but they should have coverage for most of the roof now.

I have seen people working on the red crane to the west of the dome a couple of times now. I think it is broken. Hope they get the repairs done to it soon. It pretty much is always just lying down on the job now.

I am seeing a yellow box flitting around, carrying workers to tough to get to places to do work on the net. It looks almost like a shark tank, except the walls here are surely designed to protect the workers from falling out and dropping to the ground.

It looks like this:

View attachment 183615

Still waiting for them to start detaching the connectors for the roof cables from up near the crown truss and connecting them to the tension ring. I am not a patient man. Let's go!

Walter White? :cool:

Cool photos. The top one shows E.I. White North of the Archbold entrance. In the bottom photo it doesn't appear to be there ... so that one might have been taken before 1954. Also, interesting logos on either side of the arch. Could those be war Ottos?
What you do not see in that photo is the mens rest room on the right side out of frame inside a chain link fence entrance to which was on the exterior wall of the stadium. As I remember it was the primary(only?) mens room "in" the stadium complete with pee troughs. The place may have had more esthetic appeal but it was never fan friendly.

It's probably good that feature was left out .. although it's interesting to hear that the pee troughs have a long history (do you know when it was added?). As to the facade .. the 40 foot arch was a grand example of Roman (Colleseum) Revival and one of only 3 concrete stadia in the world at that time. Archbold Stadium
I was not around when it was built, but do know it was considered state of the art at its inception. Few people know it had a roof over the grandstands in some areas originally. The roof was long gone when I first started going to games in the early fifties. I remember waiting on long lines to get into that rest room. They eventually added some porta potties above the concrete grandstands. I think the mens room I mentioned was part of the original construction, and as far as I know troughs were always there, they sure looked old enough to be originals.

I was not around when it was built, but do know it was considered state of the art at its inception. Few people know it had a roof over the grandstands in some areas originally. The roof was long gone when I first started going to games in the early fifties. I remember waiting on long lines to get into that rest room. They eventually added some porta potties above the concrete grandstands. I think the mens room I mentioned was part of the original construction, and as far as I know troughs were always there, they sure looked old enough to be originals.
Syracuse-university_1910_archibald-stadium.jpg

I wouldnt be surprised. I was told 4 teams are ready to go once the cables are done. Starting at each corner working towards the middle.

This is so exciting, yet it’s becoming more obvious by the day that we’ll be waiting a while to witness it for the first time.

This is so exciting, yet it’s becoming more obvious by the day that we’ll be waiting a while to witness it for the first time.
possibly, as a plus if we are behind schedule as it seems we are we should be able to finish before 9/21 :)

I assume the roof pieces will be assembled similar to this:

Once they're all in place they'd probably water seal it with fabric laid perpendicular across the pieces going in.