the crane the crane | Page 244 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

That white in the left corner was there last Friday.
I didn't notice it but no doubt you are right. This is the start of the unloading of the steel then!

I don't know what to make of the steel laid out in the western storage area so far.

The pieces look too short to be capable of bridging the gaps between the wingees.

Some of the pieces have odd edges on them. There are a few that are shorter than the rest.

And it looks almost like there is a groove in them, as though they are designed to fit over steel cables.

I wish the resolution of the Lawrinson camera was better.

Last edited:
The white crane in the southeast corner is lifting a piece of white steel right now.

072020a.jpg

The white crane in the southeast corner is lifting a piece of white steel right now.

View attachment 184276
SE crane crane got cold feet and put that piece back down.

But the crane in the NE corner is proceeding with putting another of these pieces up.

It looks pretty windy today and I think the operators are having difficulty getting the pieces aligned and in the right place.

Winds are between 10 and 12 MPH all day long. Not ideal for trying to line up steel 150 or 200 feet in the air.

072020b.jpg

Last edited:
it will be interesting to see what they are really doing when this happens on the camera side.

it will be interesting to see what they are really doing when this happens on the camera side.
Yes. I assume each crane has a pile of these posts near it. It looks like the one west of the dome, where we can really see what is going on, is not working right now.

Quite unfortunate.

Is the 1st piece (sorry for the yellow highlighter, gotta love windows Snipping Tool)? It wasn't there 2 hrs ago...

Edit, that may be a bucket lift of some sort. I just watched somebody walk or climb up it. To difficult to tell based on the resolution I am seeing but one of those white bars has been dangling at the end of it suspended by the red crane to the far west.

dome.PNG

Wow, great spot!

I'm just glad to have some action on the live feed again...

Is the 1st piece (sorry for the yellow highlighter, gotta love windows Snipping Tool)? It wasn't there 2 hrs ago...

Edit, that may be a bucket lift of some sort. I just watched somebody walk or climb up it. To difficult to tell based on the resolution I am seeing but one of those white bars has been dangling at the end of it suspended by the red crane to the far west.

View attachment 184279
I think you found it!

I think it is straddling one of the single cables that hold the wingees. Maybe these are designed to protect the cables so they don't get damaged as a load is put on them?

Last edited:
I think that's what it is. Watching the white crane lower this one down on the east side now...

Edit: clearly some gamesmanship by the offense not wanting us to see the true game plan. Said piece has been lowered back to street level on Forestry Ave.

Dome2.PNG

Last edited:

Maybe?

I think the roofs are going to be very different and be built differently but it looks like it is going to start with a triangle. Interesting that the pieces do not appear to be connected directly to the tension ring.

Nice picture. I am assuming they have this piece oriented as it will be oriented in the roof. I assume that the hole at the top end will connect to a wingee to hold it in place.

Looks like the angle of the roof, starting from the tension ring anyway, is going to be at or about 45 degrees.

Pretty steep. I think this is quite a bit steeper than the old roof was.

435ee8c7-33c4-4616-b41c-953a8281244e-large16x9_dome1220.JPG

Last edited:
Checked out the Thompson Road storage area at lunch. Most of the stuff that was there is still there but almost all of it has been placed on trailer beds and looks ready to be moved.

Took 2 pictures. There are several types of steel there but these are the biggest ones.

IMG_1542.jpg
IMG_1543.jpg

Checked out the Thompson Road storage area at lunch. Most of the stuff that was there is still there but almost all of it has been placed on trailer beds and looks ready to be moved.

Took 2 pictures. There are several types of steel there but these are the biggest ones.

View attachment 184284View attachment 184285.
One of these pieces just showed up at the storage area west of the dome. Still no signs of life for the crane there.

Maybe we need a crane doctor.

SE crane crane got cold feet and put that piece back down.

But the crane in the NE corner is proceeding with putting another of these pieces up.

It looks pretty windy today and I think the operators are having difficulty getting the pieces aligned and in the right place.

Winds are between 10 and 12 MPH all day long. Not ideal for trying to line up steel 150 or 200 feet in the air.

View attachment 184277
The reason nothing is happening as far as lifting steel is the wind today - it's higher than tomcat said and why the red cranes are knuckled down.

CURRENT WEATHER°F
1:27 PM
3.svg

85°
RealFeel® 88°
RealFeel Shade™ 82°
Partly sunny
UV Index: 9 Very High
Wind: W at 16 mph
Wind Gusts: 24 mph

Humidity: 49%
Dew Point: 64° F
Pressure: 29.85 inHg
Cloud Cover: 45%
Visibility: 10 mi
Cloud Ceiling: 32800 ft
Indoor Humidity: 49% (Humid)

072020c.jpg

Looks like they are going to use three of the pieces to make an equilateral triangle bisected down the middle.

If this is going to be done around the whole perimeter, it is going to take a while. The operators are clearly having problems getting the pieces to behave. Wind is causing much havoc.

They have tried and tried and tried to get one in place on the south side and only now, perhaps, are they going to be successful.

Are there any plans to dress up the exterior facade of the building? I feel like it’s going to look a little odd with a new modern roof on top of an old plain concrete building. I understand that is what is supporting the new roof, but maybe something kind of like what Norte Dame did when they renovated their stadium several years ago. They built a new facade around the existing original one. Just a thought. Or at least dress it up a little bit. Maybe this is part of the future phases of the project, but I haven’t really heard anything besides when they originally announced that they wanted to add more natural lighting around the building. But it seems that idea might have gotten scratched. Does anyone have any insight here? Thanks!
Wonder if we could put huge sticky wraps on it to make it look like it has a brick facade with gables and keystoned arches and windows...
I put fake stickers on the front of my garage to make it look like it had windows on a carriage door.
If you're slightly blind, taking a quick glance, and the light hits it just right it looks like it really has windows and hinges.

Wonder if we could put huge sticky wraps on it to make it look like it has a brick facade with gables and keystoned arches and windows...
I put fake stickers on the front of my garage to make it look like it had windows on a carriage door.
If you're slightly blind, taking a quick glance, and the light hits it just right it looks like it really has windows and hinges.
I think that is a Michigan State thing.

We need to do fake Onondaga limestone.

I think those are called "tacky" wraps. ;)