the crane the crane | Page 246 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Good progress today ...

649F3213-EF2B-4CF1-9E94-E19FE791E5B8.jpeg

So all four of the triangles appear to be completed, supported by the crown truss and oriented correctly.

I see some weird shaped white panels getting attached to the cable net. No idea what that is about. See just above the crown truss on the left side.

072220c.jpg

There was also this. No idea what it is. Maybe cabling for power for sound and lights?

072220b.jpg

The big question is, what is next? There is enough steel in the western storage area to make me think they are probably going to build and lift at least one more triangle, probably two. If you look at the Geiger drawings, I think there are 5 triangles on each side. So maybe that will happen.

I am interested to see what they do with the bigger pieces, the ones that have two lengths of steel parallel to each other, connected together. It looks like there are two sizes of those. Where will those go? It looks like they might connect together, and look like of like a giant white sled.

I'm assuming all the framing has to be built simultaneously so as not to put extra force on the crown truss? Keeps the weight distribution even.

I'm assuming all the framing has to be built simultaneously so as not to put extra force on the crown truss? Keeps the weight distribution even.
I believe that, in addition to the roof itself, the crown truss is engineered to hold 7,000 tons of snow. I would hope it could handle some framing that wasn't 100% balanced. But maybe not.

They are continuing to put those white, star shaped panels up on the cable net, from the outside and the inside. Very interested to know what their purpose is.

Fastening or securing points for the hard section of the roof?

So all four of the triangles appear to be completed, supported by the crown truss and oriented correctly.

I see some weird shaped white panels getting attached to the cable net. No idea what that is about. See just above the crown truss on the left side.

View attachment 184436

There was also this. No idea what it is. Maybe cabling for power for sound and lights?

View attachment 184437

The big question is, what is next? There is enough steel in the western storage area to make me think they are probably going to build and lift at least one more triangle, probably two. If you look at the Geiger drawings, I think there are 5 triangles on each side. So maybe that will happen.

I am interested to see what they do with the bigger pieces, the ones that have two lengths of steel parallel to each other, connected together. It looks like there are two sizes of those. Where will those go? It looks like they might connect together, and look like of like a giant white sled.
I've been scrolling through other Pfeifer projects to see if I see anything looks like those pieces of steel they are attaching to the cable net only thing I got that looked somewhat similar was the stadium in Cape Town. 1:05 mark.

Today's update:

The focus of work early today appears to be on the blue platforms installed on the crown truss to facilitate getting the cable net attached. They removed the strand jacks last week and today, they are removing the blue platforms.

072320.jpg

Good to see all 4 of the cranes on the outside actively working.

Hopefully they will start installing the new roof again soon.

Back to the Geiger drawing...it looks like the 4 triangles they have installed mark the 4 points of the diamond formed by the PTFE part of the roof.

Remember this drawing when tracking progress of the hard shell part of the roof so you know where it ends and the PTFE part starts.

072320a.jpg

Another triangle being put together on the west end to the south of the first one.
I think they have another one getting started just east of the one in place on the south wall.

Update:

Triangle 2 standings:

West side is killing it here. They appear to be almost finished.
South side is struggling to get that first beam for T2 in place.
I see no sign of life from the north and east sides. The north and east sides still have a bunch of blue platforms to remove as well.

Based on the pieces remaining in the storage area west of the dome, it looks like there is enough material to make one more triangle. That would jive with the Geiger drawing. Looks like 3 triangles on each of the 4 main walls.

We have arcs in the building. I will speculate that they wouldn't have moved them inside, where storage space has to be at a premium, unless they plan to use them soono.

I think NJCuse97 was right here and those are going up to bridge the gaps between the triangles. Ear balling the distances, it looks like they would fit nicely there.

Last edited:
I saw these when driving down the thruway this morning. They're massive.
You passed them on I90? Were you both headed east? Assuming they came from Texas and had to be driven here.

I was heading west, and they were heading east out near Rochester.
Wow, spotted them going the other way? Good eyes. I am impressed they could fit 3 of them on one trailer.

and you worried about the west end crane. it was just getting ready all along to be the leader

Only because I'm unaware, what are the arcs being brought in for? Which portion of the roof is this?

and you worried about the west end crane. it was just getting ready all along to be the leader
Yup. West side appears to have the Maverick of crane operators. They have about finished triangle 2 now. Blowout City baby!

North side has started on triangle 2. And now, even east side has a beam for triangle 2 it is attempting to get in place. It is in last place for now.

interested to see how they get this big flang into place now does it connect the triangles?