the crane the crane | Page 318 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

there's no way the "measured wrong" and just went ahead with the project.
I know. But thats the appearance- to me.

Hopefully , its just perspective. It appears there are dips, and bumps, that are not repeated, elsewhere. Spacing on beams appear haphazard, and not repeated. If its just perspective, you wouldn't see it with a covering- like in the original mock ups. I give the mock ups a 7 or 8. Right now, it looks like a 3 or 4. :-(

Last edited:

Hopefully , its just perspective. It appears there are dips, and bumps, that are not repeated, elsewhere. Spacing on beams appear haphazard, and not repeated. If its just perspective, you wouldn't see it with a covering- like in the original mock ups. I give the mock ups a 7 or 8. Right now, it looks like a 3 or 4. :-(
It looks like the dips are on the long sides of the dome where the building is asymmetrical, and probably will look like they're symmetrical when you're inside. If they do cover the beams on the roof you won't be able to tell at all.

Someone measured using a metric ruler I heard. Had to shim the whole damn thing.

It looks like the dips are on the long sides of the dome where the building is asymmetrical, and probably will look like they're symmetrical when you're inside. If they do cover the beams on the roof you won't be able to tell at all.
A dip on one side, a bump on the other. It just looks all messed up. Like you say, hopefully looks symmetrical inside. If its an optical effect, based on the angle of viewing? A covering should fix it. Really hope they didn't scrap that. The lack of symmetry has me thinking falling down barn, too...lol. Appearance wise.

old-abandoned-wooden-hut-overgrown-grass-on-a-bright-sunny-summer-JEBH76.jpg

Just had a visit from one of my roofing reps that also deals in TPO. The Carrier Dome IS NOT TPO, it is PVC. There are similarities, but the big difference is that the liquid that goes into it when it is made so it is pliable, over time leaches out of it and leaves it as a hard surface. Heat welded seams.

So TPO is like a rubbery membrane that would not last as long without care. PVC comes rolled and pliable, but over time hardens as the liquid leaches out, leaving you a PVC surface.
Typically, unless things have changed, that's dioctyl phthalate as a plasticizer. Its departure is why "vinyl" applications dry out and crack. Armor All is you putting back a compound to slow the process.

Someone measured using a metric ruler I heard. Had to shim the whole damn thing.
Thats gotta be it. Like when NASA crashed the Mars orbiter because someone forgot to convert SAE to Metric. ;)

Typically, unless things have changed, that's dioctyl phthalate as a plasticizer. Its departure is why "vinyl" applications dry out and crack. Armor All is you putting back a compound to slow the process.
Can you say "dioctyl phthalate" in mixed company? :p

Another video from snapchat that I don't feel at liberty to share, but the scoreboard HAS RISEN. Outside is still under cover but they have a LED ribbon board that is operational on the inside of it. Field fully installed and looks so good under the LEDs. They have exposed all of the boxes so they must feel good about the weather forecast and getting everything watertight quickly.

Could it be the panoramic camera shots causing the angle deformities?

The original deadline was today, so there might be a financial penalty if it wasn't completed. Congratulations for getting this complicated project completed. It's been fascinating to watch the past several months. NOw I want a cam inside the building.

It's still so crazy to me how far this project has come. From the HUGE crane to start it all, to the Clemson game one year ago, and now the entire thing is essentially complete.

I love it

The original deadline was today, so there might be a financial penalty if it wasn't completed. Congratulations for getting this complicated project completed. It's been fascinating to watch the past several months. NOw I want a cam inside the building.
Not sure SU would have the nerve to push for a penalty. Covid-19 and extra restrictions would not end well for SU in court or arbitration. File this under... all's well ends well. SU has a long standing working relationship with most of these businesses

Last edited:
Hope the team will get some time in the new environment (Wednesday & Thursday?) before they take on the Jackets.

Last edited:
I have followed the project from last November's Phase 1; the construction of the Crown Truss. Did play by play for us Craniacs and looked forward everyday to describing everything from WALT the giant crane to the smaller trucks to every kind of vehicle while watching a fantastic crew do some very incredible/dangerous work. I think the Dome/Stadium looks great and will look even better as we go forward.

After watching the roof go up and looking at the project overall, IMO the total project is the result of hard work and great planning. I hope we will all enjoy the new addition(s) to the Dome for years to come and watch the FB team grow and be successful and the BB team that now has some great recruits like we used to have -become one of the best if not the best team in the ACC and get another National Championship or two under our belt and those trophies in the display case.

I believe congratulations are due to all the CREWS that have worked this project. The engineering company Geiger, Hayner Hoyt and all the sub contractors involved. And as well to us on this board and all alums, admins and every SU fan. To have this facility, the only one in collegiate circles, that is the cornerstone of a Domed sports facility for high level competition is just another thing to be proud of at SU! ENJOY! :)

I thought I would include something that was on the screen in front of me today and will have its first game next week. It's worth a look. If you think all the stadiums discussed here as examples of work to admire and the Rams stadium in LA is great wait until you see the work involved creating "The Death Star":

Last edited:
Not sure SU would have the nerve to push for a penalty. Covid-19 and extra restrictions would not end well for SU in court or arbitration. File this under... all's well ends well. SU has a long standing working relationship with most of these businesses

I thought the main reason Ephesus bailed was due to the real potential of being faced with financial penalties, etc. if the strict timeline wasn't met?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom