the crane the crane | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

First time I have seen a spiral column go up from Walt's yard. It's 2:00 straight up and I have been watching Walt lift the piece into place for half an hour. Can't wait to see the work begin right in front of the live cam. Tom, there are only two pieces left in Walt's yard, one column and one box girder - any more in storage?

Last edited:
the box girder just got delivered this mornig on the truck where it came from.

I wonder what the material is in the square attachments that connect the horizontal pieces? I bet it’s a light weight material that’s strong as solid steal. There looks to be some composite material making up the inside of the square tubes.

07887421-DD4D-45E5-82B2-717BF1288744.jpeg

Something tells me this job would be a lot simpler if they didn’t have the existing roof getting in the way. It’s ironic because some of us are openly talking as if they should’ve just cancelled this basketball season.

losing a fball or b-ball home season was never an option. I’m sure that was put in the RFP. For those of you talking about canceling the b-ball season because it’s not going as well as you’d like should just cancel your fan card too.

I wonder why the scaffolding on the one arrowhead but not on the other

another spiral pipe being rigged on irving cam. Looks to be a shorter one. Also another box girder is in yard. looks like they are prepping that for rig with the smaller white crane.

I was actually just thinking today... would the pads they have fabricated the for those huge cranes be a strong enough foundation to add an addition on to the dome at some point in the future?
They drove numerous steel pilings but they didn't look like they were done with much symmetry. It kicked off my OCD Alarm

I heard they thought about a hotel on the side of the Dome... we'll see

new arrival - it's 1:20 Friday and a trailer just arrived with what looks like 3 new spiral steel columns. Looks like they are going all out to get the crown truss completed on time. I wonder whether the new arrivals mate with the box girder in Walt's yard? It's now almost 2P.M. and there is action in the yard - they are either going to off- load the spirals or /and lift the box girder good time to watch. OR NOT. A harness is resting on top of the box girder. My money is on offloading the spirals into the yard.

Last edited:
:vomit:
new arrival - it's 1:20 Friday and a trailer just arrived with what looks like 3 new spiral steel columns. Looks like they are going all out to get the crown truss completed on time. I wonder whether the new arrivals mate with the box girder in Walt's yard?
Very likely. Looks like they are trying to use JIT to run this project.

Sure would be nice to have had and have now a zoom function on this camera.

the installation of the back stays will give clues to where they will work next. i see nothing on west and south sides yet. hard to see the east side.

OK first column's off. It's amazing that the smaller crane which is still very large can maneuver a spiral column that looks like its 60' x 3' in diameter 1/2" at a time. The operator is the surgeon here. Their hooking up another. Cool! The crane offloaded the second column swung it inside the yard then the crane must have a lot of functions because it turned the column 360 degrees with no help from the ground and then placed it alongside the first column. Tomcat - what is JIT?

Last edited:
We have at 2:58 three new columns in the yard, ( maybe for installation this weekend? ). From the time the truck arrived it was exactly one hour to offload the columns. The trailer has left on its four hour journey back to Montreal. These people are on time and know exactly what they are doing. Very nice work, IMO

Last edited:
OK first column's off. It's amazing that the smaller crane which is still very large can maneuver a spiral column that looks like its 60' x 3' in diameter 1/2" at a time. The operator is the surgeon here. Their hooking up another. Cool! The crane offloaded the second column swung it inside the yard then the crane must have a lot of functions because it turned the column 360 degrees with no help from the ground and then placed it alongside the first column. Tomcat - what is JIT?
Just in time (manufacturing technique where materials arrive just prior to installation)?

Just in time (manufacturing technique where materials arrive just prior to installation)?
I thought JIT is more for mass production where you want to keep your inventory costs down. I guess it would apply here but it is probably more due to not wanting several similar pieces on-site that could potentially be assembled in the wrong spot.