the crane the crane | Page 44 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Could it be possible that “time with their families around the holidays” was scheduled too?
This ^^^ A very likely reason. I worked with riggers a long time ago. One of the quickest ways of losing your site leads and crews who you move all over the region and long hours to get projects done is TO NOT let them get time off with their families during the holidays. This down time I would guarantee was "baked " into the time line. There very well could be something else but I can assure you down time was also included here. Cheers!

There's a part in this where a guy mentions "Sequence 1" of assembly. Could it be that they finished the first sequence before the holidays, and now they are ready to begin Sequence 2?

FYI - Walt's son is currently at work in Central Square.
image.jpg

I’m going to assume there is a slight problem as it seems like everything has halted for the last week plus.
Probably this. I work for a metal building manufacturer...we do buildings like the IPF...and not much has been getting done the last two weeks at our plant or in the field. Just how it goes this time of year with the holidays...actually it starts at Thanksgiving. Next week is when things get rolling again for us.

They are putting in the hot tub before the AC? I thought the hot tub was phase 3!
ha. i was wrong anyway. They were not grabbing the spiral tube, but instead grabbing the "fencing" that goes on top of box girders. I don't know if that's decorative or some sort of future safety attachment point.

You are assuming there is a problem
No I make no assumptions, but on the basis of available evidence I believe there may be some kind of problem, an assumption is belief wihtout evidence. I could be wrong, but they are definitely not working up to optimum for conditions available at present.
I do not know if this may be contributing, but there is a world wide shortage of nickel which is used in making high quality steel. Just a bit of info that may or not be a factor.

Another day with no work on the yard side - everything has been in the same position for a week or more. The crew of 5 I saw just departed for the day on the bottom half of the hour of 3 and locked the gate. So, if any work gets done it will be this week end or Monday.

I am working today so my time to check on things has been limited but it looked like they sent up some handrails to the installed box girders and then sent some handrails back down.

Maybe they were defective or for the wrong box girders, and had to be replaced?

This ^^^ A very likely reason. I worked with riggers a long time ago. One of the quickest ways of losing your site leads and crews who you move all over the region and long hours to get projects done is TO NOT let them get time off with their families during the holidays. This down time I would guarantee was "baked " into the time line. There very well could be something else but I can assure you down time was also included here. Cheers!
My father was/is a crane operator for Raulli and worked on the original dome and subsequent SU projects and I can confirm this 100%.

These guys don‘t ‘love’ their jobs, they do it for the money they make and the ability to spend time off when they need/want to. Many of them love the challenge and the environment also but the primary reason is the pay and PTO availability.

Yes and I have neither faith nor an assumption that all is on schedule, because I believe the evidence I see, which tells me something is not going strictly to plan. Anyone else is free to think all is going to plan, including you. My experience tells me that most projects run into unforeseen delays.
As I said before and you seem unable to accept "we shall see".

No I make no assumptions, but on the basis of available evidence I believe there may be some kind of problem, an assumption is belief wihtout evidence. I could be wrong, but they are definitely not working up to optimum for conditions available at present.
I do not know if this may be contributing, but there is a world wide shortage of nickel which is used in making high quality steel. Just a bit of info that may or not be a factor.

I doubt the nickel shortage has anything to do with it. We use lots of high nickel alloys and have had no issues procuring raw stock. The alloys we use have much higher Ni content than construct steels.

What am I missing here in this pic of Lawrinson.
The big hole in the ground?

Edit: Correction: It looks like a shot taken from the inside of a dumpster, and shows additional Dome construction materials.

Last edited:
Any chance we can split the crane thread into a pics thread and a discussion thread? Some people just want to see the latest visible progress and skip the technical nerd talk.