the crane the crane | Page 50 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

These are pictures of one of the bendy metal strips they use to augment the normal steel cables that hold the crown truss in place tieing it to the back stays.

I think they tried repeatedly to get one of these in place on the northwest corner and failed. This was just after the last piece of box girder was installed in the northwest corner. Maybe they eventually got it put in place but I doubt it, since I saw them put it back in the Irving storage area and haven’t seen any progress on that part of the crown truss since. I think it might be why things aren’t moving forward with that section.

The bendy metal strips are much longer than the cables, and much thicker and stronger. They are longer than the spiral columns and are rigid enough to lie horizontal when placed on the ground. At least one spent time in the storage area on Irving before the failed installation attempt.
Maybe they didn't read the directions and finally realized this bendy piece belonged on this side...not where they were trying to install it. ;)

Walt is still asleep and his cousin is aimed down as well. I suspect that they may be done until Monday...

So - you're in Alaska. It's Winter. It's cold outside. And you're drinking. I believe that's called Thursday.

And if you're in Florida that's called "retired."

I keep seeing these pics thinking that giant LEGO blocks would have been so much easier to connect.

Ha on the LEGO reference. I've been thinking the design of this thing, along with these recent pics, etc., kinda remind me more along the lines of this 'ol toy building/construction item. :)

1578670832950.png

Walt is still asleep and his cousin is aimed down as well. I suspect that they may be done until Monday...
Yes. The forecast calls for 20 MPH winds all today and tomorrow. Conditions won’t improve until Monday.

20 mph doesn't seem that bad on paper (disclaimer: my daughter went to Oklahoma where 20mph really isn't bad) but the live camera is definitely jiggling with the gusts. Certainly would not be fun to try to maneuver anything dangling from a crane

20 mph doesn't seem that bad on paper (disclaimer: my daughter went to Oklahoma where 20mph really isn't bad) but the live camera is definitely jiggling with the gusts. Certainly would not be fun to try to maneuver anything dangling from a crane
20 mph isn't bad in Syracuse either (and it's barely more than a normal breeze where I am in VT).
I believe they are getting 45-55 mph gusts across CNY today.

2 spiral tubes in the air at the same time!
The one in the northeast corner will complete the 3rd arrowhead in that corner, a major milestone.

The one in the northwest corner will surely be a stand alone to start the 3rd arrowhead in that corner. They are behind the northeast corner and in catch up mode. Good to see things moving ahead here!

Did the followers of this thread know there's a live chat set up on the youtube page?

I am not aware of a youtube page

Figure it might be a good idea since this thread has the potential to grow for months and months. I'm not sure what the space is looking like on the back end for the forum.

I am not aware of a youtube page
From the HH initial page listed above, if you click right on the words in the top left, it takes you to YouTube and a live chat.

Missed this AM. Walter is in motion now looks like he could be picking up something on the nearest rail.

Nope, the cable and hook are high out of view and Walter's turned 180 degrees and is now facing Crouse.

They certainly can't complain too much about the weather so far this winter. Syracuse's average coldest day of the year is about January 22nd IIRC. So historically the next 2-3 weeks should be the coldest part. It appears the next couple days will be okay but a longer stretch of normal winter will come in.

OT: the Veterans Bldg appears close to completion. Pretty impressive building

Last edited:
They certainly can't complain too much about the weather so far this winter. Syracuse's average coldest day of the year is about January 22nd IIRC. So historically the next 2-3 weeks should be the coldest part. It appears the next couple days will be okay but a longer stretch of normal winter will come in.

OT: the Veterans Bldg appears close to completion. Pretty impressive building
Yes. It looks like something you would find in NYC or Boston. I was losing faith Syracuse University could ever build a new building that was attractive. Yay! Props to these architects, whoever they might be.

Walt has returned to its normal resting position and the white crane is in motion. The white crane has raised its boom and they are trying to hook up the narrow spiral steel column that has been in the yard for awhile to move it to another place. Maybe, maybe not. Or something in front of the yard fence. So the white crane is moving the yellow concrete counter balance weights that are placed behind Walt during operation, counter weights are used to compensate for the goods lifted. The smaller orange and white crane is also in operation next to the box girder - first time I have seen that. They are lifting one or two of the crew to inspect the box girder. The crew is also involved with the weights climbing on top of them I assume to hook and unhook the weights. They are placing the weights to attach to Walt's rear tomorrow for some further WORK on the crown truss - getting the girder that's sitting in the yard up. Or I could be totally off base - they didn't supply me with their daily work sheet today.

Last edited: