the crane the crane | Page 48 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Im thinking Su missed the boat on using this setup as part of a movie subplot.. has to be some james bond type chase scene you could film on this and all the cranes that could have earned them some coin on the off days.

like on the day before the roof goes down let them run around and destroy it if they want for a few million.

obviously weather can impact the human element (sometimes it's downright miserable) and maybe it impacts your policies but the show goes on in the field. I don't think OSHA guidelines on weather even kick in until way below zero, like -20 and below.

Yes, the show goes on in the field. Until external weather elements had a contributing role to human error in the field, which led to fatalities/significant injuries, which led to an OSHA investigation and a temporary stoppage/shut down of the site until its investigation was completed, etc. That was the broader thinking when I stated, "for the most part" in the post you initially responded to.

Im thinking Su missed the boat on using this setup as part of a movie subplot.. has to be some james bond type chase scene you could film on this and all the cranes that could have earned them some coin on the off days.

like on the day before the roof goes down let them run around and destroy it if they want for a few million.
I've been looking at this as more of the Capricorn One thing. There really is nothing going on there. It's all a hoax!

The weather gets better: no snow Thurs. Temp range 7A.M. 15- 5P.M. 27, Fri 7A.M. 36, 4 P.M. 44 with no snow either day. Sa 59 - 47, Su 48 - 25, Mo 1/13, 42 - 30, Tu 44-34, We 44-33, Th 36 - 19, Fr 30 - 16
Today is the worst weather snow squalls to 4"gusts to 36 mph. Walt is going to have to be knuckled down. I don't see why they haven't taken down the main boom already.

The weather gets better: no snow Thurs. Temp range 7A.M. 15- 5P.M. 27, Fri 7A.M. 36, 4 P.M. 44 with no snow either day. Sa 59 - 47, Su 48 - 25, Mo 1/13, 42 - 30, Tu 44-34, We 44-33, Th 36 - 19, Fr 30 - 16
Today is the worst weather snow squalls to 4"gusts to 36 mph.

giphy.gif

It looks like work on the crown truss is finally starting again. A spiral appears to be getting positioned next to the northeast grouping. I assume it will be set up towards the east end zone, as a stand alone, then a box girder will be connnected to extend the top rail to the east/south, then the two diagonal spirals will be added on each side to complete the third arrow head in that corner.

To my knowledge, this is the first time they have done this work in the dark.

I expect we will see a similar sequence in the northwest corner...if past events mean anything.

Good to see things moving again.

Link Night.jpg
Night Work.jpg

Absolutely no movement on the northwest corner. I have seen a bunch of people transported up there over the past couple of weeks, but none of them appear to do any work.

They look like they are inspecting, not working. I think something is amiss with the install over there.

Glad that they have started adding on to the crown truss on the northeast corner though.

Absolutely no movement on the northwest corner. I have seen a bunch of people transported up there over the past couple of weeks, but none of them appear to do any work.

They look like they are inspecting, not working. I think something is amiss with the install over there.

Glad that they have started adding on to the crown truss on the northeast corner though.

you can imagine with a project like this it will be over-inspected and then inspected again.

ny state limits on highways, not over 80000 is allowed

Single Axle Tandem Axle Tridem Axle Gross Weight Other

20,000 lbs. on Interstate highways*
22,400 lbs. on non-Interstate highways
34,000 lbs. on Interstate highways*
36,000 lbs. on non-Interstate highways
Per FBF
80,000 lbs.
800 lbs. per inch of tire width
11,200 lbs. per wheel

*State law does not explicitly State these limits. It does, however, require that no State weight limits may be applied in ways that prevent New York from receiving Federal funds (
I assume tons and pounds is being confused. 2000 lbs in a ton.

I don’t have an answer to your question, but assume they wouldn’t consider it. Painting means repainting, especially with Cuse’s weather cycle
Brick half way up ... at least on the West and South sides. That would go a long way towards integrating the Dome into the campus aesthetic and making it look less Brutalist. (Happy to hear your [much more professional] thoughts on this).

Last edited:

maybe that's the reason for the extensive scaffolding at the next box girder connection point at the northwest corner. It would appear they've prepped all the spiral tubes with lifting collars, the next box girder has the railings, etc. there's not too much more they can do in the Irving yard other than lift.

ny state limits on highways, not over 80000 is allowed

Single Axle Tandem Axle Tridem Axle Gross Weight Other

20,000 lbs. on Interstate highways*
22,400 lbs. on non-Interstate highways
34,000 lbs. on Interstate highways*
36,000 lbs. on non-Interstate highways
Per FBF
80,000 lbs.
800 lbs. per inch of tire width
11,200 lbs. per wheel

*State law does not explicitly State these limits. It does, however, require that no State weight limits may be applied in ways that prevent New York from receiving Federal funds (
I think you can overweight permit up to 102,000 lbs. at that weight I think the amount of bridges you can cross is very limited as well.